PDA

View Full Version : lowering more than 30mm

astina_hardtop97
29-08-2007, 02:07 PM
i want my 4wd looking BA to sit a bit lower and all i can find is 30mm lower than stock springs

i want at least 50mm lower....who sells more than 30mm lowered springs and i'm not interested in coilovers for my everyday work hack
just affordable lowered springs....without using an angle grinder

cheers

RedLineResident
29-08-2007, 02:16 PM
So you are after looks as oposed to performance benefits. King Spring Super Lows are the way to go then. Im sure they do them. If not then whiteline does them but reffer to them as "flat out" lowering spring. Whiteline are hell more expensive tho.

astina_hardtop97
29-08-2007, 02:26 PM
kings don't do a super low for these they say anything over 30mm will fall out on extension. shame as hardtops look great but just sit too high

RedLineResident
29-08-2007, 02:29 PM
I don't understand what they mean by that. Try Dorbinsons. Have you checked this against their online catalogue coz sometimes the people that work there have no idea (most do but some are complete knobs). Whiteline definatelly have them, I know coz I got lows for mine coz im after handling, but in regards to looks i definately see where you are coming from.

Rupewrecht
29-08-2007, 02:31 PM
They mean the springs won't be help 'captive' between the spring rests at the top and middle of the shock.

RedLineResident
29-08-2007, 02:34 PM
As if. That is heaps weird. I never heard of that before.

Well whatever you do, please don't take the angle grinder to it. That is the worst way of going about it.

Rupewrecht
29-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Nah, it's a common enough thing. Some cars it's a real problem because they're not a McPherson Strut-type (like the BA) with a spring around the shock...and so they have nothing to hold them in place if you get airbourne enough!

Of course, if you get shorter stroke shocks, then there is no problem as they don't extend to the extra height of the original spring

RedLineResident
29-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Hmmm. So i will be ok with my 30mm on stock struts tho right?

I can't exactly splash all that much money at the car at the moment coz account doesn't support all my ideas and fantasies. Stock struts will be ok 4 a while, right?

even if its not alright please tell me otherwise to make me feel better, cool.

Aaron
29-08-2007, 02:57 PM
As mentioned already - if you want to go LOW do yourself a favour and stay away from the dodgey option of cutting springs.

Stinky runs Whiteline Flat Outs and is probably the lowest BA type car not on coil-overs... How? The springs have settled and judging by the finish on the ends they've also had a coil cut off them. The handling is not good, the ride is not good but it does look good...

If you want it that low - save your cash, and get a set of Coilovers, you'll never get a good result on stock style struts.

A.

Rupewrecht
29-08-2007, 02:57 PM
LOL

Yeah, stock shocks and lowered springs will be ok, but the life of the shocks is reduced because they're already partially compressed all the time.

As for being captive? No idea!

RedLineResident
29-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Oh well. I will replace the whole set up with coilovers aventually, hoperfully. Probably just in time to pass onto my brother. He's only about a year and a bit off getting his L's then its P's after that.

by then i should get a wild piece of machinery, (again hopefully)

Plutonus
29-08-2007, 03:03 PM
LOL

Yeah, stock shocks and lowered springs will be ok, but the life of the shocks is reduced because they're already partially compressed all the time.

Really... a noticeable amount of time?

bourbon
29-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Oh well. I will replace the whole set up with coilovers aventually, hoperfully. Probably just in time to pass onto my brother. He's only about a year and a bit off getting his L's then its P's after that.

by then i should get a wild piece of machinery, (again hopefully)

keep the hardtop... dont get rid of it :p

project.r.racing
29-08-2007, 03:29 PM
plutonus - yes if you have done more than 60,000km on your current shocks.

ryan

RedLineResident
29-08-2007, 03:31 PM
It will stay in the family. Imagine a worked Hardtop for your first car. Man I wish i had that.

Ill probably get another Hardtop, drop a KL-DZ in it and go from there. that would be hell fun, so much more torque.

BTW anyone know if you can turbo or twin turbo a BA V6 engine? I know it would all be custome work but is is plausable?

Plutonus
29-08-2007, 08:02 PM
plutonus - yes if you have done more than 60,000km on your current shocks.

ryan

No idea how much mine have done, were on when I got the car.

project.r.racing
29-08-2007, 08:18 PM
No idea how much mine have done, were on when I got the car.if you got the car with under 150,000km on the clock, then they prolly haven't been replaced.

ryan

Plutonus
29-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Probly at around 150,000km... damn. I can't really remember lol. How much are good shockies these days :(