PDA

View Full Version : Strut Brace

bRaDiNhO
23-08-2003, 08:54 AM
I found a front strut brace for familia GTR made by OPH motorsports in Malaysia. I can get it for $65 at my door. They say it fits any BG, is this correct?

Also, as comparison, how much did others pay for the brace?

Cheers

Brad

Rupewrecht
23-08-2003, 09:13 AM
i think the whiteline one is abot $150 - i cant remember exactly.

and i'd assume the strut towers would be the same between astina and GTR...know anyone with one to compare?

Toyboy
23-08-2003, 11:21 AM
I payed $175 for my whiteline 1,but they are adjustable,not sure if the GTR ones are,i know that the GTX 1's are just 1 piece :wink:

BigBoyLemonade
23-08-2003, 02:51 PM
Familia Strut brace just needs to modified a little and it will fit...

Rupewrecht
23-08-2003, 02:56 PM
GTR one:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~kevmo/_derived/index.html_txt_engine.gif

bRaDiNhO
24-08-2003, 09:14 PM
fixed brace.

Thanks guys, sounds like an ok deal.

Cheers
Brad

Aaron
24-08-2003, 10:32 PM
Hey Dan, that's ain't the engine it's the grille dude ;)

*laughs* neat label on the pic ;) I always wanted to know what one of them noisy things att he front of the car was....

A. (feelign mischeivious tonight)

Rupewrecht
25-08-2003, 10:08 AM
smartass :P

that image is from the Kevmo GTR site, so blame him :wink:

bRaDiNhO
25-08-2003, 03:10 PM
Just been doing some measurements and the brace should fit. But looking at the set up, I thought "how the hell is this gonna improve handling?". My basis for this clueless query was ease of installation..... i'm assuming you only have to bolt it on using the existing bolts on the top of the struts? If this is the case, how is it gonna do anything? Is it just preventing flex or what? Sorry for being daft, but i'm curious! Am i wrong with ease of installation?

Cheers

Brad

Rupewrecht
25-08-2003, 03:18 PM
It IS an easy install :)

its purpose it to keep the distance between your strut towers constant. it make the whole front of your chassic stiffer and stops the towers flexing inwards (and over time reducing the structural integrity of the car/metal etc) and giving your wheels angles it shouldn't have when you corner.

when you install, it should just bolt on. if it seems too long, just jack up the front of your car in the middle and the towers will probably sag outwards enough for you to attach it.

that make sense? :lol:

Aaron
25-08-2003, 10:16 PM
And don't forget that this is stiffening the front end of the car and may shift the handling balance slightly towards understeer.

This can be dialled out with a tweak to the camber at the front and a minor bit of dialing in at the backend. We are talking bugger all change but it can be felt once you have everythign else in place.

You'll get most benefit from fitting one after you're running rear anti-roll bar upgrade, stiffer springs, firmer shocks (not firmer in rebound as most are but firmer in compression - ie Koni/KYN double adjustables) and ofcourse cambertops or pins.

Before that you'll notice some difference but it's probably not worth the money. At the back of the car it's a completely different story. They work wonders to stiffen up the back end and complement just about any suspension mod very well.

Ofcourse they also eat into boot/hatch space and arn't as easy to get off-the-shelf cheap....

A.

bRaDiNhO
25-08-2003, 10:29 PM
yea, all makes sense Dan and thanx for tips aaron. is already dropped 40mm, but wouldnt mind getting rid of some body roll.
thx guys.