PDA

View Full Version : Engine Rebuild or Second hand engine?

.::Astina|Brad::.
25-08-2003, 11:08 AM
Some sad news on my astina. Took the astina to the mechanics on friday due to overheating problems. Got the bad news today that the head gasket is stuffed. Most of the seals are worn. and the engine is very worn out. I've asked them to look for a low mileage second hand engine. But i would like a rebuild, but it'll cost some $$$. I would like a engine conversion (turbo or 2.5ltr) but i want to get back on the road asap, so i don't think i have time to find a turbo gtx, or find out if a 2.5 will fit. Just wanted to see what you guys think about a rebuild, or if u think a second would be just as good.

Brad

Rupewrecht
25-08-2003, 11:14 AM
well, you've got a few options:

Quickest Option:
get a 2nd hand KF engine, and hope it's been treated nicely!

Longest Option:
Engine rebuild - it's gonna take a few weeks at least to do this i'd image even to standard. and i'm guessing you can do without the car too much. and this will also cost a lot more than a 2nd hand engine.

Best Option (IMO):
Source a KL-03 (Aus-spec 2.5) or even a KLZE(Jap-spec 2.5)and drop that in. It'd be much the same time to source a KL-03 as getting the standard KF, as it's australian delivered in the MX-6, so... ;)

Toyboy
25-08-2003, 12:07 PM
How many Kms were done on that engine dude,just curious :wink:

ABC
25-08-2003, 12:10 PM
isn't K8 the 1.8V6 found in the Eunos'. They'd probably be even harder to find than the KF 2.0V6!

Rupewrecht
25-08-2003, 12:13 PM
ooh you're right - forgot my designations!

i'll edit my first post as to not confuse, and make you look stupid ;)

.::Astina|Brad::.
25-08-2003, 12:52 PM
Toyboy :: my engine has done 165,000 km that's not alot is it? i drive about 110km everyday. And i have a bad habit of racing the engine abit. learnt my lesson the hard way. Serviced regularly, but when i found out the seals were worn i sorta did nothing about it. So i guess one problem created another.

I would so love to get the 2.5 ltr engine put in. Mite have a talk to the mechanic about it.

I don't know how you guys fund all your projects, although Pre-Press apprentices don't realy make that much money. I'm thinking i mite need to get another loan to pay for this.

Brad

Rupewrecht
25-08-2003, 01:19 PM
I don't know how you guys fund all your projects, although Pre-Press apprentices don't realy make that much money. I'm thinking i mite need to get another loan to pay for this.

you've just answered your own question!

Toyboy
25-08-2003, 02:37 PM
I thought there would more life left in it at 165,000km,how often did you service it,and what oils did you use :?:
I service mine every 5000kms and only use fully synthetic oil,to try and extend the life of the motor,hopefully it will be worth all the extra money involved :P

Cosmo Dude
25-08-2003, 07:53 PM
Get a second opinion,
Not that I don't trust your mechanic but.........

It couldn't hurt.

Rod

Or change the head gaskets and start planing (and budgeting) the upgrade, hoping the patch holds. I'm sure Mr. MX6 will help with a rundown of parts etc. on his conversion.