PDA

View Full Version : New Clutch

Smikey
29-08-2003, 02:01 AM
Mornin (2am) guys and girls. I'm new to this forum, just got a 1997 1.8ltr hatch about a week ago. Got the car detailed and whatnot *mumbles about the previous owner and his neighbourhood kids keying the car*, but also, got the clutch replaced today.

Though the original clutch felt so much heavier (honestly u can just rest your leg and u'd have the clutch all the way in) than this new one, i'm kinda wondering if this is the usual?

Anyway, haven't even had the time to take a picture of the car as my avatar yet. Livin in sydney, and plannin to drive to penrith on the 6th just to buy an unhealthy amount of Krispy Kreme Donuts :wink:

Also anybody running 215/45/17" tires? i need new rubber for my fronts, just scouting prices. Bank account dropping fast... :oops:

ABC
29-08-2003, 09:58 AM
Welcome to the forum Smikey!

Running 16s and original clutch so can't comment on those but there's bound to be someone who can. Just thought I'd say Hi! :D

Smikey
29-08-2003, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome ABC

Ended up findin the answer to my own question from the mechanic (went back to visit the detailer cos my dad reckoned they lubed it up with silicon gel polisher stuff too much). Apparently as the clutch wears out some kind of spring changes it's tension as the clutch wears out, so by the time ur due for a new one, months of clutch pressing near the end of the clutches life probably means u have a thicker left leg. So when u put the new one in things are light as a feather all of a sudden... an endless cycle it seems :(

submersiblepotato
29-08-2003, 05:34 PM
Hey Smikey,

I have some bad news for you.... If ur bank ballance is a bit unhealthy u may want stop reading my reply right about now.....

I just put some new alloys/tyres on my astina.. 215/40 R17 and because the astina has a higher than normal load rating of 84 (don't ask me why) u will be limited to a few brands (if u want to be legal that is)...

I ended up going for a performance/price compromise and got a set of falkens... @ $240 a pop they aint cheap, but on the other hand, crashing ur car and ur insurance company finding out u had illegal tyres on and not paying out would probably cost a tad more......

like i said, there will probably be cheaper, and there are definatley more expensive ones...

hope this helps buddy,

Sub

Cosmo Dude
29-08-2003, 06:24 PM
Welcome Smikey,
Come in and enjoy the facilities.

Rod

Smikey
30-08-2003, 11:05 AM
Thanks Cosmo, will do ;p

Submersible, i have 215/45/17's GoodYear on my rears and was gonna complete the whole set after a few more k's
the cheapest i've found are around 180 bucks which i thought was pretty decent. What condition/brand/reason will make ur tires illegal to ur insurance company??

Cosmo Dude
30-08-2003, 08:19 PM
Nice now over.
*Laughs like an evil mad scientist*

Could be that you need a new clutch or just to adjust the peddle. Near the top of the peddle is a bracket that is a union to the master cylinder, using two 10mm open ended spanners you can easily alter the clutch peddle.

Rod

O-LYM-PIC
31-08-2003, 12:49 AM
hey welcome buddy.
hey what is it with these bloody krispy kreme donuts!!! i mean they are good, but why the fuk are they only in bloody penrith??? ok, sorry bout that, just doesnt seem logical.
manuel

Smikey
31-08-2003, 12:25 PM
Yea i dunnno why the hell they have to be all the way out there. Apparently to buy the franchise i.e. just the name? costs about 3 Million, so maybe rent is cheaper in penrith rather than the city ;p

Although, judging by the layout of their queues (like lining up for a rollercoaster at wonderland) maybe they just needed the space instead of having hundreds standing all over george street.

Eitherway... Yum :twisted:

O-LYM-PIC
01-09-2003, 11:25 PM
yeah my mate was there on sun, and he said it was like cattle rustling!!! hehehee, cars lined up all the way down the street and a line of people as long as a train!!!! kinda stupi.
ahh well, some are apparently comin 2 uts soon for some kinda fund raiser ****, so that'l b even better.
and with the clutch thing, i had the same lighter feeling when i changed my clutch. dont think theres anything for u 2 worry about, just hope u dont have to fork out for a new one again any time soon!!!
manuel

KittyKatSmack
02-09-2003, 10:13 AM
Hi there,

Sorry for the late HELLO n all, I try not to come into the performance threads much...

:P to Sik......

and when I do, I usually post an inordinate amount of questions anyway...

But welcome aboard the good ship AstinaGT!!

Insanity is at your own discretion, but a healthy amount is recommended.

Feel free to post in public discussions too, that's where I generally lurk these days :)

Good luck with the bank balance, and public discussions will REQUIRE a running commentary on those donuts matey :wink:

Cheers and hope to see you on one of the big cruises when we get one organised with the Canberra crowd :)

*all aboard!*

Smikey
02-09-2003, 11:47 PM
I'll document the whole trip to my soon to be best friend, Krispy Kreme.
Mite take some pic's as well, but not sure how to post it up without my own webspace... yet...