PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got a BA suspension setup like this? thoughts?

Smikey
30-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Howdy,
My suspension setup is almost complete! but i need some perspective. Springs and shocks, camber all that jazz. Then got a whiteline rear sway bar to take away a bit of understeer. Pretty much copying the whiteline handling kit so far.

But now I have both front and rear strut braces on their way, and having to chop the boot trim up to fit it the rear one is making me hesitate somewhat. But at the same time, i do like the balance of my car at the moment and in my head it makes sense to do both at the same time to try to keep that balance while making it just a little stiffer, rather than just slapping on the front (more understeery).

Anybody got the:
1: Rear sway with front strut brace
2: Rear sway with front & rear strut braces

And either wish that you didn't put on the rear or wish you had one?

bourbon
30-10-2007, 12:41 PM
i know i dont have the same car nor set up...but i put the front and rear strut braces in and made the car feel alot stiffer and better :D

Rupewrecht
30-10-2007, 12:59 PM
The braces will make it more predictable, as the suspension isn't bending randomly.

and a 2x5 cm hole in the trim is hardly a big deal, IMO

Smikey
30-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Predictability sounds like something i want. For a moment i thought some sideways leeway could have been good, but i think i'll try em on hey.

You got your rear strut in yet Rupe?
i'll need to cut through at some point anyway to get to the adjustable shock controls i guess.

Is there a trick to getting the brace to not only fit in width ways, but also through both the boot trim holes?

Rupewrecht
30-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Nah, i didn't bother. i decided i didn't really need it when i've got a metal parcel shelf which braces the rear shock towers anyway

Dogo
30-10-2007, 01:19 PM
i have number 2 : Rear sway with front & rear strut braces

When I added the rear I didnt feel like it made a big difference.
My coilovers made a significant improvement though - the car feels a lot more solid around corners. But also a lot more solid over bumps :(

RedLineResident
30-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Is it a hardtop???

If so I wouldn't cut the metal parcel shelf because that will weaken it first then strenghten it back somewhat with the use of a strutbrace. However if it isn't a hardtop then definatelly mate, hack away.

Smikey
30-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Looks like it's a go. Coilovers are a little hardcore for me, even though the labour to install koni inserts cost me just as much i reckon.

Tis a hatch! so i guess it needs some stiffening anyways

RedLineResident
30-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Don't know, never driven one. But do it to be on the safe side.

project.r.racing
31-10-2007, 06:36 AM
i have number 2 : Rear sway with front & rear strut braces

When I added the rear I didnt feel like it made a big difference.
My coilovers made a significant improvement though - the car feels a lot more solid around corners. But also a lot more solid over bumps :(i have same setup. but i did feel a difference in the rear with the rear strut brace.

ryan

Smikey
31-10-2007, 08:57 AM
More tendancy to slide the rear out/turn in under braking whilst turning? Or more rear grip over bumps?

project.r.racing
01-11-2007, 06:47 AM
braking = understeer!
rear strut brace made the rear of the car feel like it was glued to the ground. didn't break loose so much under power or decelleration as much. meaning bigger speeds thru corners. more control in this aspect.

ryan

RedLineResident
01-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Ive been behind a BG with a front and rear strut brace done with some springs also on a drive through the and have seen the rear wheel leave the ground under breaking into some corners. looked so damn cool. Especially when that wheel locked up and smoke just poured out from it.

that really looks tough and shows taht you are pushing the car.

Smikey
01-11-2007, 11:47 AM
braking = understeer!

Just that last time i took the car to the track (with dodgy suspension that is)braking into the hairpins spun the car round. Could have been worn rears though and my failure to feel it sliding out. Really looking forward to goin to advanced driver training then to the track.

There's a 2nd of december at wakefield for anybody interested. Not sure if i'm going yet though.

RedLine-
That would be quite a sight to see. You were following this car and managed to catch that? A wheel off the ground that is, not the smoke =)

RedLineResident
01-11-2007, 12:25 PM
worn rears will do that. Also soft suspension sees your weight going too far towards the front and really loosening up the back. I used to get that happening when under hard brakes but coz my tires are pretty good i could pull it back. Now with the springs, the back behaves itself

RedLineResident
01-11-2007, 12:27 PM
it was a turbo (Sam_323) hes on here, check him out. Yeah I caught up through corners but he killed me on the straights. close to 15psi boost saw me be left for dead. v6 = bigger brakes so i was hard on the brakes and a little more stupid if you like so yeah i caught up through corners.

Smikey
01-11-2007, 12:41 PM
nice! the best place to catch up ;)

RedLineResident
01-11-2007, 12:49 PM
I would have liked to have more grnt along the straight but oh well...

If you have the money, invest it into your suspension. And then extractors, exhaust and CAI. (many many thrads on these)

coilovers are ideal.

second best is springs with good shocks. I have and like whiteline (because they are very cumfy for a lowered setup), but eibach are very very good.

Front are rear strut braces and a rear sway bar.

and if you wanna be fancy, get adjustable strut tops and perhaps change your bushes, they would be a bit old and worn by now.

that = 2 to 3k. which by the time you are done you will agree is money well spent.

and how could i forger, tyres. Get some nice tyres. no sense having awesom suspension on retrads.

Smikey
01-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Mmm i thought about coilovers, but ended up goin with koni yellows and eibach springs (labour was a killer! bringing them much closer to the cost of coilovers with less labour), camber bolts, got falken 452s, and rear whiteline sway bar with cusco front and rear struts coming. Bushes come after, but supposedly they're in good condition. Still gotta work out the dials on the shocks adjustability, but i'm afraid of breaking them + i'm not sure of the pros and cons of adjusting those rates (to-do list before wakefield).

Exhaust and CAI, brake pads + fluid are done too, so now i just wait until something breaks... At a pretty good stage right now. Maintenance plan has been implemented *touch wood*

Was tempted to buy some 15"ers with semi slicks for track, but that in itself is quite an expensive habit and the car is my daily.

Money was so well spent! The car is even more of a go-kart for a fraction of the price of a 'new' car. Next moneys goes to match my driving skills to the car.

RedLineResident
01-11-2007, 01:23 PM
S*** you've done heaps. Ive got a completelly stock and I mean completelly stock car with whiteline springs.

Its kinda good in a way tho coz cops can't really bother me a lot and its satisfying leaving a newer, suposably better car with heaps more work done for dead and then saying that all you have are springs on 13 year old shock absorbers.

The look on their red faces is priceless. I rarelly hit the hills with randoms tho, usually a close group of friends of maybe 3 or 4 cars who are all competent drivers and we pace each other. So its good fun with a much lower risk factor because we are all familiar with each others driving style, capabilities and car limitations.

Smikey
01-11-2007, 01:36 PM
When i was typing that out it did occur to me... I did talk myself out of my RX7 dream so this is how i make up for it ;)

I was really tempted to buy a MS front lip and side skirts, but luckily lost that bid (in a way), because i realised looking stock is the way to go. I have larger rims and an embarassingly large exhaust tip, but other than that when ur approaching a speed trap or whatever, they don't have a reason to pull you over on suspicion of defectable goodies. Plus I hate scraping when parking and humps etc. *who doesn't*, but at least i dont' have to creep over them.

Close friends are heaps better! Sticking together is the fun part, I think randoms may have a bit too much to prove/show off and at the end of the day they'll probably still remain strangers.