PDA

View Full Version : Knocking sound from wheel area

azaudio
05-09-2003, 01:49 AM
When I purchased my baby I heard a very light knocking sound from the right front side of the car , only when going over bumps.

I got them to check all bolt tightness linkageages brakes etc , even had the check done on the rear and all seemed fine , had the shocks checked after that and still no problem was found.

I does not seem to have effected handling or the ride in general but I dont like strange noises and by the by it cannot be heard from the passenger side so its on the drivers side somewhere.

Any thoughts ?????

Car has had no body work accident damage etc :?:

Thx all :wink:

Cosmo Dude
05-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Check 4 X 4 no more, Adam had a similar problem when he lowered his BA.

Rod

azaudio
06-09-2003, 02:45 AM
xcelent sounds as if it just might b that crazy ass bolt , will check this weekend

Thx a stack for the help

azaudio
08-09-2003, 01:50 PM
Ok spent the whole sunday on the car.

Checked that "crazy ass bolt" to see if it was close to the sway bar and it was fine.

I then looked a bit higher on the drivers side and saw a silver scratch mark on another bolt , checked it out and taaadaaaaa found another "crazy ass bolt" that came very close to suspension attached to the sway bar, that touched as i went over bumps

Solution : angle grinded the excess thread off that baby and problem solved .

And that took the whole sunday? you ask, naaah that was just the start.While I had the wheels off I painted the calipers silver, cleaned and lubricated everything in sight, rotated my wheels,gave my rims a good polish removed the resonator in the passenger side bumper , installed another CAI in its place and ended the day with a good car wash.

What was a 15min job was a bit longer lol :lol:

NEXT QUESTION:

Why does that swaybar move out of position like that as that is what caused my problem oridginally????????? :?:

thx all Ill post pics of the "Crazy ass bolt 2" next time.

Rupewrecht
08-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Why does that swaybar move out of position like that as that is what caused my problem oridginally????????? :?:

Could be because your swaybar bushes are worn and aren't holding the swaybar tightly enough in place?

mrpayner
08-09-2003, 04:38 PM
I don't know if South African's drive on the same side as us but my bolt was on the passenger side, hence the "punk arsed bolt" instead of "crazy arsed bolt" :D However.. my punk arsed bolt mysteriously mis-appeared [disappeared] over the weekend thanks to Dutchy's grinder and his patience!

Had the car jacked up at the front and the rear tyre was off the ground as well thanks to "chassis rigidity" from the strut brace.. :wink: Should've taken a pic really.... Poor Dutchy was a little worried! Heheheh..

AP

Cosmo Dude
08-09-2003, 07:17 PM
The Zouth Africans drive RHD also. Some of their cars may look a little odd though. Take a look at www.mazda.co.za to see.

Rod

azaudio
09-09-2003, 01:50 PM
Do you guys really think the bushes could be worn as the car only has 55000 kms on the clock?

What are the chances?

nazeus
30-09-2003, 08:33 PM
I hope this is not a S African problem. But, yes I have the same problem. Must confess tho, I will have to find this mysterious bolt on my Astina.

SAGE
15-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Any further news on this ?

Sounds very similar to what i have been experiencing. A untraceable "knocking" sound over bumps,and just in general sometimes....

marcs_sp20
15-09-2010, 11:40 PM
And further news on this ?

Sounds very simuliar to what i am experiencing. A untracable "knocking" sound over bumps..and just in general sometimes......

You do realise you bumped a 7 year old thread? :rolleyes:

Have a look at this, worth a try:

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16460&highlight=washer+mod

Clean_Cookie
16-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Marc. It's good info and he searched clearly so
I don't see the issue

70NYD
16-09-2010, 09:05 AM
obtaining information already here yes.. but asking posters from 7 years ago will yield a result?
when was common sense lost...