PDA

View Full Version : Think tank: rotor and 4wd

:Jear:
07-09-2003, 06:46 PM
Just thought Id pose a few questions to everyone, not that either of these options would be feasible or desireable, but how "do-able"

Is it...
1. Possible to transplat a rotory engine into an astina (any size) or are these things only really meant for rwd?

2. Possible to convert the astina into 4wd like the GTx/r?

like I said dont dismiss due to cost, have a think and through up some ideas, maybe even other "different" questions :lol:

Aaron
08-09-2003, 03:10 PM
1: Yes it's doable. Why I dunno and how would take quite some time and $$ but definately doable.

2: Anything is possible... you'd need to fabricate a lot of bits but would probably fit it strangly easier than the Rotary conversion as you'd be able to work with a GTX pan and driveline and make it fit under the BA as opposed to starting from scratch. Still prolly cost $10K to do plus both donor cars.

Rupewrecht
08-09-2003, 03:28 PM
1. It's doable, but is it worth the hassle? nice novelty tho.
if you go RWD it's possibe creating a new floorpan with a transmission tunnel and convertion it to RWD...biiiiiig engineering job
If you keep it FWD then you'd have to mount the 13B sideways to attach it to the gearbox, and whether there's enough space to do that - who knows!

2. It's been talked about before. The centre driveshaft from the 4WD gearbox to go to the rear fits in the standard floorpan, but then there's no room for an exhaust then in the standard place. You could weld the TX3 one into the Astina and solve that problem. But the rear suspension and driveshafts etc would probably be some sort of custom adaptation of TX3 rear suspension, which i wouldn't think would be that much different to the Astina.
Apparently if you had a lazy 10k to throw at the 4WD conversion the guys who do the Bullitt MX5s would do it i remember BigMal saying

BigBoyLemonade
08-09-2003, 04:04 PM
Cut the floor pan out of a GTX/GTR to replace the Astina floorpan....

Doable but lots of money

SehnKhan
08-09-2003, 04:20 PM
I believe there is a 13B KC laser going around somewhere, also a 24v V6 KC laser, so yep, anything can be done.

:Jear:
08-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Thanks guys, I realise that pretty much anything is possible if you throuw enough dollars at it (mmm quad cam v8, in my bg) but i was just trying to promote some more "out of the square" ideas too. :wink:

Cosmo Dude
08-09-2003, 07:55 PM
My view, could be wrong but here goes :lol:

1. The easiest rotary conversion would be from an R130 Luce, It had a 13A, FWD, Pillarless and factory 8 track stereo. The R130 would be more unique and cost $$$$$ You wouldn't gain any power as this is a late '60s model.

2. My belief is that the GTR/X is a BG in two door mode and only needs a longer tail shaft. Again you'd be best getting a GTR/X.

Rod

JynX
08-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Cut the floor pan out of a GTX/GTR to replace the Astina floorpan....

Doable but lots of money

That would be too small wouldnt it. Would be easier to use a TX3 floor pan as they are very similar in shape??

Aaron
08-09-2003, 09:52 PM
you'd only the need a few portions of the factory tunnel. Namely the boot flor and area at the end of the tunnel to ensure the rear diff mounts etc match. You could probably just replace the section between the fabbed in 'frame rails' in the rear clip. Also the front section at the entry to the firewall/tunnel. Between them you'd just modify the existing structure as that would give a stronger and cheaper result. Ofcourse you'd probably find yourself having 'fun' rebulidng the seat mounting locations and misc stuff like that tha most people don't think of.

Even then you may be surprised at how much actually may already fit and just need hangers and mounts fabbed and reinforced through/into the floor and pan.

exhaust is the smallest problem in the project as there's always a way to get pipe down the car..... and finding a little extra room for clearance wouldn't be a killer....

BigMal
09-09-2003, 09:15 AM
Problem with the GTX/GTR setup is it is 3cm shorter in wheeltrack than
an Astina BA. So modified driveshafts would be needed. As said before
the tunnel is not large enough for a tailshaft and a decent exhaust. Also
fueltank would need modification to accomodate the tailshaft.
Lastly after all that outlay the mazda boxes are **** including a gtr box
so you will have reliability issues. The idea of a rotary running RWD
to a MX5 rear end or even maybe a S5 diff may be the best option for
grunt and reliability.

Regards

Mal

dfvadr
09-09-2003, 07:11 PM
you would have to change the hole floor pan from firewall to boot area as noted by other poeple there is no gearbox tunnel then from that area back the tunnel in the astina is too small for a tailshaft then at the rear there is no suffient strengh for a diff an the mods to the floor pan in the diff area would have to be massive mods an plating for strengh
there was a 94sss pulsar in hot fours a couple off issuse back that done such a conversion if you look close at the pic on the hoist he has welded a hole floor pan into it