PDA

View Full Version : 7 Day Tyres and Wheels

phly
30-12-2007, 01:28 AM
Hey guys,

Gonna head out to a place called 7 Day Tyres and Wheels (www.7daytyres.com.au) to buy a set of rims next weekend. Anyone ever buy anything from these guys before? Any feedback would be awesome. From what i've seen on their website they're exactly the same as Tempe Tyres but a bit cheaper? (Possibly same owner cuz the website seems the same). If theyre no good, any recommendations for good places in Sydney cuz there aint much in the recommended thread.

The style and size of rim I still havent decided yet, but the size is my main dilemma. I cant decide between 17x7 (215/40 tyres) or 18x7.5 (215/35 tyres). I really want 18s but i've read that they will buckle easily. I will need to use my car to drive about 30km a day for work. I'm not too concerned about ride comfort but more concerned about how long the wheels are gonna last. Any comments on this would be highly appreciated too. Also would the wheel and tyre combination be defective in NSW cuz itll be about 2% larger in rolling circumference according to the wheel calculators.

Thanks,

Phil

project.r.racing
30-12-2007, 08:37 AM
I have 18x7.5 wheels will not buckle under normal driving conditions. I'm still yet to damage mine and I have hit potholes @ 100kph, done motorsports in them, etc and travelled 80,000km on them.

As for 215/35-R18 tyres, they are only 12mm larger in diameter... So find out what your state allows. I know QLD transport allows +16mm bigger and -10mm smaller.

Ryan

zappy65
30-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Id go the 17's. the tyres are cheaper, the 18's under NSW law are too big and youll put the 18's on and regret it for what they are...17's arent that much smaller, what is with everyone and throwing the biggest wheel imaginable on thier tiny car?...personally i like 16's they are good for tyre price and they look the goods under a lowered astina...

RedLineResident
30-12-2007, 04:33 PM
18's will make your rotors and calipers look so tiny as well.

I agree, 17's are a better all round choice.

phly
03-01-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm more leaning towards 18s. Any more advice would be much appreciated

Bear
03-01-2008, 12:23 PM
:) I'm sorry ... I always find people's arguments against 18s (aside from legal ones, and there are appropriate ways of addressing those) funny ...

I've had 18s on various cars from a CRX up to a Falcon and at no point did I regret it ... now, if the car looked better with 16s I would have put them on ... but they didn't ... mind you, the KE38 wagon I have will only be getting 15s, even though I know I can cram something bigger in there ... I just don't think they would suit it ...

18s will fit, but you will need to take meausures to make them legal (most states this involves getting an engineers cert), otherwise, a well chosen set of 17s will still look good ... in the end the most important factor (aside form legality and mechanical sensibility) is your own taste and preference ...

good luck with finding a style you like, and post up a pic when you have made the leap ... cheers

rodhog
03-01-2008, 08:33 PM
If you want 18's put 18's on .

unless your puttign on a hi-cost brand light weight wheel, they won't buckle undermost conditions on sydney roads.
Having said that - all the wheels I've buckled I mean pure buckles full visable flat spot are
Mazda 626 14inch - 15inch toyota - 16inch HSV - 18inch BMW M-sport, and I even bought one SP23 wheel had minor.

Factory wheels are lighter and softer.
only aftermarket ones have been a MOMO -5star and Enkei touring. all light weight all expensive.

Yes 18's ain't legal but the question is what do you want.
I get told to lower - put big rims I say I like 17's, but I prefer 16s but they won't fit over my brakes. Got no option.

zappy65
03-01-2008, 08:42 PM
I suppose it all depends on what the car is aswell? if its small like my BG Astina 18's will not only look weird but when you lower it, it may course some problems...but if you do own a Mazda 3 like Bear 18's would suit perfect..

phly
04-01-2008, 08:58 AM
I've got a BA Astina Hatchback if its any help

I was also wondering what makes the 18s illegal. Is it cuz the rim size itself is too big, cuz the overall diameter is only about 11mm bigger than stock size if i put on 215/35/18 tyres according to the tyre size calculator. Or is it cuz its too wide? (2 inches wider than stock?)

Thanks for the advice thus far guys. Gonna be heading in for rims tomorrow but still undecided cuz i wanna stay on the right side of the law

Cosmo Dude
04-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Follow the link to the NSW RTA fact sheet on replacement wheels.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi09_rev4.pdf

phly
04-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks cosmo dude, That was just the link I was looking for. Just had a quick read and it says I can go up to 15mm larger in diameter and up to 26mm wider (just a bit over 1 inch only) than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

My next question is what was the largest optional wheel size that was available for BA Astina Hatches

Aaron
04-01-2008, 09:28 AM
The rim diameter is fine (as per RTA doco Cosmo has posted). The "big" probalem is width. The widest wheel you can fit in NSW is 7" to a BG as the alloys on the SP (biggest factory wheel) is a 14x6". It's not possible to engineer more than this for a FWD car either which is a real problem. I expect the range of 18x7" wheels is quite small.

A.

rodhog
04-01-2008, 10:52 AM
With a BA in NSW
you know they say this and that. but what a cop looks at is the Tyre placard - if you car does not come with the right placard. Defect still.
Legally yes your entitled to put on 18 X7 as BA was 16x6 on the V6 only.
If your placard says 14x5 - that's your rim. Optional rims are also listed on most placards - like if the I4 has 15x6 alloy option that is usually listed.
That is what counts first and formost.

problem is you pick the wrong offset and it's history. But most won't notice.

The legal issues get complicated because ontop of tyre/wheel width you have track width. It's the first thing the RTA look at when they do a full inspection. They dont' care for tyre size etc track width, that makes the car totally illigal. Because once you change that you go out side the guide lines.

Problem is 90% of cars with aftermarket rims Don't meet the guidelines totally.

phly
05-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Hey guys,

I ended up getting 18x7.5" Lenso GT6s with 215/35 Kumho Ecsta tyres. Fits pretty good with no rubbing against nothing and i'm loving the look of them. No complaints so far. Size is good, not too small, not too big. Ride comfort feels the same as the stockies I had but I can hear the bumps I go over now though LOL. Maybe its cuz the tyres are too pumped up. But yeah all is good.

I'll try post pics when I get some time for those interested in seeing them. WARNING my car is super high at the moment LOL. DUNE BUGGY STYLE!!!

- Phil