PDA

View Full Version : CAI finally completed....

KittyKatSmack
13-09-2003, 05:32 PM
As the title says, the CAI finally completed today, the K&N panel filter has been ordered and I am happy!

Didn't get to doing the interior lights, as the weather got a bit inclement, but we have it all planned out to do tomorrow.

Should have some pics up of the way we joined the pipe to the airbox (on car, sorry) just to give you all other ideas.... we didn't fibreglass or anything like that.

But Kitty now has cold air blowing in her box....... so there!!!!!

:P

Guruswarmi
13-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Congrats!

Looking forward to seeing the photos and get some ideas! Have ordered a K+N filter myself and looking to doing a CAI sometime in the near future but the thought of removing and hacking into my front bar isn't excite me! :D

Let us know how you find it!

Guruswarmi

KittyKatSmack
14-09-2003, 03:49 PM
No front bar removal throughout the entire process, and no hacking of my bar!!!!!

:wink:

Yes I am a girl, but I couldn't do it!

Besides, it wasn't necessary!!!

I will try to put together my CAI story with pics over this week, but no promises, as Tomorrow Is My First Day Back To Work!!!!!!

Must say the deep throatier noise is NICE and looking forward to the arrival of my K&N filter..... c'mon Air Express Couriers!!!!
Apparently the noise will change again once the filter is in place.
Am finding the small changes interesting to note through the different stages. Still...... Can't wait until it's all finished!!!!
w00t!

:D

dfvadr
14-09-2003, 05:33 PM
deep throatier noises you makin kitty i better not go there lol
but good to here u have got it done now get that bloody 2" zorst

Cosmo Dude
14-09-2003, 08:16 PM
Can't wait until it's all finished!!!!
w00t!

:D

It never finishes :roll:

birdman86
14-09-2003, 09:21 PM
just wonderin if a cold air intake can be put in through a bonnet scoop or does it have to go in through the front bar.

how much does a cold air intake set you back. does it give a fairly noticable boost in performance and does it give the engine a better growl.

thanx.

KittyKatSmack
15-09-2003, 03:11 PM
LOL @ Odd12c

Groan @ Cosmo

Birdman:
CAI can be put wherever you can duct cold air from..... I would think that putting it through the bonnet scoop would be nice but difficult... that is definately a job for a pro!!! My CAI cost was ZIP!
Thanks to JJ for the AG pipe, and thanks to Aaron for the cable ties, and thanks to the fella's for their knowledge, it came to a big fat zero cost factor.... Gotta be happy with that!!! And it is a nice job too, not something to get defected for.

I think it gives a noticable boost in performance! And yes, comments about kitty's growl are true..... :wink:

It is certainly deeper and throatier boys..... and once that K&N goes in, it will change again I am told..... I was also told that a pod filter would be a different noise to the panel filter I got for my Astina, but it is certainly something you could get prices on.

I will say that the completion of the CAI has encouraged the application of the right foot with muchos muchos enthusiasm!
And the result is BIG GRIN!
Well and truly into 5500rpm before thinking about a change of gear now....

There goes my fuel economy......... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

As for that frickin' zorst............. don't even get me started on that bitch!

*godfather voice*
that thread is dead in my eyes.........

:roll:

UNV-323
17-09-2003, 06:48 PM
Hey kitty, so how long did all end up takin ya?????

I gotta get out and do it....I just cant see anywhere to run the damn pipe and since all my tools magically disappeared last week, its a bit hard to take off the front bar with a set of pliers..... Also i dont wanna end up pulling my bar off and stuff and not seeing a way to run the damn pipe!!!!

I just spent $450 today to get my new clutch :( so the k& n filter is comin lata... and the new tyres... and eveything else!!!!!!

Oh well i will get it done soon.... hopefully it will make a noticable difference. Ill stop dribbling **** now... CYAZ

SFC01
21-10-2003, 01:02 PM
I fitted a CAI to my BJII last night in about 20 minutes.

Instead of AG pipe I used some aviation flexible ductiing. Routing passed from the factory airbox (using -11 flexible ducting is a neat fit, NO cutting) between the coolant bottle and the left headlight and down into the front left wheel well. This size ducting is just small enough to squeeze between the subframe and the wheel valance to pick up air from the left fog light insert (after some perforations).

Can change back to stock intake in less than 10 minutes, and now that the ducting routing and positions of cable ties are sorted it should be fittable in 10minutes. The routing is neat, and apart from the colour of the ducting it is inobtrusive.

I have had a rampod fitted for a couple of months now and got fed up with the droning noise. This CAI gives a bit of a snarl at WOT, as would be expected with all of that resonator gone. But the big difference is throttle response.

I'm still getting my launch down but I was averaging 10 - 10.1sec for 0-100 after the CAI. Previously with the rampod I was averaging 10.6-10.7. :wink:

I'll post photos in the readers rides part when I can.

wiredone
23-10-2003, 05:46 PM
we made the CAI we now sell at the workshop on my car originally

made of 2 1/1 polished stainless... they looks hot...

not as hot as my polished cooler pipes but still VERY hot... they make a MAD noise... flat foot at 4,000RPM was absolutely amazing... i miss it bad... i reckon blow off valves are gay... which is why i have a plumb back (too bad its not plumbed back) so it still makes noise...

suppose its good promotion for the turbo kits but still i like roar not a sigh from my car... but still i guess i will just have to put up with it in exchange for boost lol :lol:

KittyKatSmack
28-10-2003, 09:51 PM
A late late late update on this thread.....

I forgot to put in the change when I did add the panel filter.

UNV-323 ~ it only took us an hour or so, and no removal of the front bar was required at all.

We did a similar job to SFC01 in that we didn't cut the airbox at all. So is still all original.

Is very purty.

And the panel filter did indeed change the tone again.

I am not a proponent of too much noise.
Besides, I have always said I want to walk the walk before I talk the talk.
And people that need to brag too much usually spend all their time talking and no action.

I have seen cars over the last weekend that have nice notes on them that don't need to be loud at every gear change, at every take off, at every moment.... and they sure got it where it counts.....

and then there's Bruce... :lol:

Cosmo Dude
28-10-2003, 09:59 PM
Mmmmmm.......
Bruce!!!

How do I fit a 4.0 Litre twincam Turbo six pack into the 'stina?
*#* <I>Unable to drop from more than 1.78 meters</I> *#*

That much power with no tyre squeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllll and an understated exhaust note just feels un-natural :lol: :D :wink: :lol: :o :D :shock:

Rod