PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Car - Camber Adjustment ??

SP20XX
21-01-2008, 12:13 AM
Hey all,

Getting some nice Eibach Pro-line springs coming in towards
the end of the month, but now need to figure out what I am
going to do with regards to the camber of both the front and
rear wheels.

Now my car is not going to be racing around corners on a
track somewhere, so I don't need the have the camber set
to anything as extreme as that. However, there's been talk
about camber links and camber kits for other Mazda models
but I have not found anything with regards to '03 BJII's (J48).

The new springs will lower the height of the car 1.4" at the
front and 1.2" at the rear. Has anyone lowered their BJII
and required some form of extra camber adjustment
equipment or is the camber adjustable from the stock
assembly?

chicaboo
21-01-2008, 12:48 AM
I have the Eibach Pro-kit, and you don't need camber bolts, other than to correct the BJs natural tendency to pull to the left. I and many others have lived with this aspect of the cars behaviour for years. You can put up with it in varying degrees depending on how good your wheel alignment is, or get offset castor bushings or camber bolts. Camber bolts are much cheaper than castor bushings, as the bushings are glued into the control arms on the BJ, and the labour to change them is very expensive. You can rotate your front strut towers individually to help counter the car wandering to the left, although most ppl put them both on the same setting for a minor handling increase. Tyre wear on the BJ is reasonably even too, so there's no benefit to your tread life either by getting camber bolts.

Gav.

Smikey
21-01-2008, 08:33 AM
My camber is set at a relatively mild -1.0 degrees at the front and -0.5 at the rear. Any more than that and i'd have to watch more carefully for uneven tire wear. This is for the BA though.

RedLineResident
21-01-2008, 08:37 AM
I know its irrelavant but had i installed the camber bolts on my BA as i planned, i wouldn't be in the market for a new set of tires for at least another 6 months, if not more.

As it stands now, all 4 tires,(front a bit more warn than the rear), will need replacing due to the inside edge being pretty well worn. Not slick yet but about 1.5mm away. The outside still has some good 6-7mm left.

I only lowered my car about 1" and that has given me slightly negative cambers. So my advice would be to get the camber bolts installed just to be sure.

Orion
21-01-2008, 08:52 AM
The tendancy for cars to pull to the left is a deliberate factory specification. If you get a wheel alignment that is to the factory specs then most cars will pull slightly to the left. Possibly so that if someone leaves the handbrake off and the car rolls, it will end up in the gutter rather than on-coming traffic.

You can get a suspension place to align the car so that it runs straight. Fulcrum set up my car this way when they put my suspension in.

SP20XX
21-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Yah, I knew about the factory built pulling to the left which
seems extremely important. both for forgetting the hand brake
and also when falling asleep at the wheel. Thus gonna ensure
it remains for safety reasons only.

Anyone know who, what or where with regards to these
camber bolts?

RedLineResident
21-01-2008, 12:51 PM
anyone really.

any place that keeps aftermarket bits and pieces should keep camber adjusting bolts. They're not very expensive and may prove to be worthwhile.

chicaboo
21-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Anyone know who, what or where with regards to these
camber bolts?Sh1teline (Whiteline) might do them?

Rupewrecht
21-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Pedders do as well.

Cosmo Dude
21-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Pedders do as well.

For about $100 a pair supplied :eek:

zappy65
21-01-2008, 04:29 PM
I just got my camber bolts from Greggles, $77 a pair....the main reason why the car pulls to the left is because the streets are very cambered, especially around Springwood...even if your WA is dead straight you will always drift to the left...

Smikey
21-01-2008, 04:37 PM
I got my camber bolts from Greg (astroyboy) as well. His price couldn't be beat.

Astro Boy
21-01-2008, 04:47 PM
As above, $77 a pair, generally got a few sets of each size in stock...

Cosmo Dude
21-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Normaly LHD cars pull right and RHD to the left. It's a safety thing so that if you fall asleep while driving you run off the road and not into oncoming traffic. Road camber makes it worse

SP20XX
22-01-2008, 12:56 PM
oh well, I'll just see how it all goes once the springs are in
and settle for a few months.

If I see too much wear, then it's an order to GSL RallySport
for some Camber Bolts.

DVS
22-01-2008, 06:45 PM
whiteline do camber bolts for bjll

Astro Boy
22-01-2008, 11:17 PM
If I see too much wear, then it's an order to GSL RallySport
for some Camber Bolts.
Thanks for making the 'S' a capital letter! It annoys me when people don't do it! :p

.... ok... so its getting late...

SP20XX
23-01-2008, 10:48 PM
lol pleaSe remember folkS to enSure that our SponSor getS hiS capital S.
it'S the leaSt we can do for aStro boy'S buSineSS.

Sorry mate, couldn't reSiSt temptation.
....now where did i put my medication.

chicaboo
23-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Well, actually, since the 2 words are compounded as a single noun, it's not meant to have a capital S in the middle of it. :p

Gav.

Astro Boy
24-01-2008, 09:29 AM
lol pleaSe remember folkS to enSure that our SponSor getS hiS capital S.
it'S the leaSt we can do for aStro boy'S buSineSS.

Sorry mate, couldn't reSiSt temptation.
....now where did i put my medication.
ROFLMAO!

SP20XX
24-01-2008, 11:54 AM
You forgot your capital S's Gav !!