PDA

View Full Version : Neon Lights

Pernod
17-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Just wondering if anyone has external neons on their astina?

I have managed to source some for reasonably cheap and consequently its just too tempting not to do it. Normally this would be a bit to 'showey' for my partner, but for some reason she is warming to the idea rather quickly! :):):)

If any one has done this, do you have any advice? Where did you mount them and how etc?

Dogo
17-09-2003, 05:52 PM
ive only ever wired up ppls internal neons, not external. but id say to wire them , connect them to a constant +ve or ignition-switched +ve, and connect a switch to them so u can turn them on and off.

My advice, if ur going to do thise, mount them so that u cant see the neon bar. Thats looks horrible in my opinion

mazda-mike
17-09-2003, 09:01 PM
I've got them on my ba at the moment. It is connected to the battery with a switch by the steering wheel. It is fused at the battery. As for mounting you will have no trouble hiding the front and rear tubes as for the side ones you will need skirts. . Hope this helps

Thanks

Mike

Pernod
18-09-2003, 04:46 AM
That was the answer I was looking for... Bugger, I dont have skirts :-(

Wiring shouldn't be a problem (hopefully). I plan to put it to a three way switch with a dorr setting, on and off. That way when the courtesy lighting comes on in the car when I beep my alarm, the neons should come on as well! (Well thats the plan, will let you know how it goes...)

Rupewrecht
18-09-2003, 10:35 AM
That was the answer I was looking for... Bugger, I dont have skirts :-(

you *could* put them to the inside of the chassic rails - they you wont see the neon tube.

mazda-mike
18-09-2003, 10:37 AM
thats were mine is but u still see the tube :( only 1/3 but if ya dont know how big they are u think ur seing the whole tube :(

Mike

Rupewrecht
18-09-2003, 10:55 AM
what about if you mounted them to the sidewall of the chassis rails? as i assume they're taller than the are wider (when you include the mounting hardware) and then wouldn't project down as far?

birdman86
18-09-2003, 11:10 AM
i was just wondering if anyone knows whether external neons are legal in qld. they were legal at one stage but lately i have seen a few people driving around with them.

birdman86
18-09-2003, 11:14 AM
they were legal at one stage.

sorry, meant to say that they were illegal at one stage.

Pernod
18-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Thanks Rupe and Mike. I have ordered them so they should arrive early next week :-) I'll let you know how I get on.

I was planning to rewire the internal ones to have a door activation this weekend, so that I can then piggy back off this wiring for the external ones next week. However this has been put on hold after I grabbed the wrong end of the soldering iron last night while changing the stereo set up... :shock: :cry: :oops:

Hopefully I'll be unbandaged by the time the neons arrive as I cant wait to play!

Cosmo Dude
18-09-2003, 07:59 PM
I grabbed the wrong end of the soldering iron last night while changing the stereo set up... :shock: :cry: :oops:

Hopefully I'll be unbandaged by the time the neons arrive as I cant wait to play!

LOL
I think your soldering iron is trying to tell you something :p

Rod

Toyboy
18-09-2003, 08:30 PM
OUCH :o

Pernod
19-09-2003, 05:56 AM
What can I say, wasn't the smartest :roll:. Mind you I can now plug in an external MP3 player/laptop to the stereo and switch back and fourth between it and the CD stacker with the flick of a button :-) So that makes me feel a bit better.

For those that want a giggle at my expense, the other bad news is that this morning I managed to slice my foot open on a candle spike that had fallen of a shelf last night in some strong winds. I jumped out of bed and landed on it :oops:. So now I have a heavily bandaged foot to match my fingers :cry:

Looks like any hope of installing anything else this weekend is slowly fading away... :( Oh well, just means I get to do a bit more planning :)

Rupewrecht
19-09-2003, 09:19 AM
you are hereby BANNED from moving at all :P

kyra
19-09-2003, 03:01 PM
you freak!! no idea how it feels but i'm sure you are it immense pain!!! hope your wounds heal soon!!

Cosmo Dude
19-09-2003, 07:57 PM
Bad news about the foot, at least that's an act of nature.
When you're working on the car I say that when you draw blood you must be close to fixing it. :lol:

Rod

Pernod
19-09-2003, 08:25 PM
I like that theory :lol:

My neons are set to arrive next week - cant wait to play.

Pernod
22-09-2003, 04:48 AM
what about if you mounted them to the sidewall of the chassis rails? as i assume they're taller than the are wider (when you include the mounting hardware) and then wouldn't project down as far?

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if its OK/legal to drill a hole through the chasis rail to screw/bolt these onto? (Actually I should also check I have the right terminology - thats the 'lines' where you normally put the jack - right?)

Or, if I was going to have to bolt them to the underside of the car - any hints on doing this?

Any help would be great!

birdman86
23-09-2003, 06:03 PM
just wonderin if anyone knows if external neons are legal in qld. they were illegal at one stage but i have been told that they are legal again.

mrpayner
23-09-2003, 06:22 PM
It would be best to ring up the local cop shop or RTA place to confirm whether it is legal or not.. If they can provide you with written evidence of the legislation then make sure you ask for a copy of it so you can have it in your car if you get pulled over.

AP