PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Rotor Badness !!!

submersiblepotato
17-09-2003, 08:18 PM
I've found two decent cracks in my driverside front disc which are opposite each other and track from the centre out to the edge of the rotor, none on the passenger side front or rears. Anyone else had this problem?

Can anyone vouch for the DBA replacements from autospeed? Midas quoted me $150 each for standard replacements, but i'd rather get the nice slotted ones from autospeed for less.

Anyone got some? I have the 1.8 BA hatch and just want to make sure the DBA533SL and SR are the right ones and find out what you guys think of them...

Are they the same offset and all that jazz? (4x100 or something?)

cheers

Sub

sirex
19-09-2003, 08:52 AM
I have never really paid attention to the offset of the 1.8, but the V6 is 5x113.4, I think?

My 2 cents does bugger all!

Toyboy
19-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Yeah i run the DBA Slotted front rotors on my car,and am really happy with them :D The part numbers you have quoted are the correct 1's,i ended up paying $145 each for mine :wink:
The prices quoted on autospeed are rediculously low,i personally dont think its right,cause the spare parts places wanted around $190 each,maybe autospeed make up for the extra in freight costs cause they arnt light :P
They are a direct replacement dude so you wont have to worry about them not fitting!
I still have my standard rotors here which have only travelled 88,000kms and are still in good condition,which i could be willing to part with at the right price 8)

Catch ya

BigBoyLemonade
19-09-2003, 10:14 AM
autospeed.com prices are right and perfectly normal shop to buy stuff from. $116.00 sounds right and free delivery for purchases over $200

I buy all sorts of stuff from there.

when you change your discs you should change your pads too... you can screw your new rotors if you dont.

Toyboy
19-09-2003, 10:40 AM
Well that answers that then :P

bwhinnen
19-09-2003, 10:50 AM
autospeed.com prices are right and perfectly normal shop to buy stuff from. $116.00 sounds right and free delivery for purchases over $200

I buy all sorts of stuff from there.

when you change your discs you should change your pads too... you can screw your new rotors if you dont.

Where are you based? There's a company in Sydney that are cheaper than Autospeed and one in Brisbane that are as well.

As to the changing pads and rotors at the same time, that is generally a no-no. You should do one or the other. You should bed new rotors in with older pads and visa-versa, not saying you can't do it (you just have to be more careful when you do). Just remember to clean the new rotors with a brake cleaner to take off the protective coating before installing them.

Cheers
Brett

mrpayner
19-09-2003, 11:41 AM
Hey Theo..

Did you just get the front discs??

AP

Toyboy
19-09-2003, 12:30 PM
Yeah just the front 1's man :)

As to the changing pads and rotors at the same time, that is generally a no-no. You should do one or the other. You should bed new rotors in with older pads and visa-versa,
How is that,what if the last rotors were badley groved and the pads had followed those groves,you wouldnt be able to use those pads on the new disks thats just stupid :?
I bought new rotors and pads at the same time and have had no dramas,the instructions with the rotors never said anything about cleaning the rotors with and type of cleaners firs/or using older pads for a run in period,i just ran a razor over them to take off the rough dags and **** left over from machining,and bedded the new pads in as per instructions on the box :wink:

Catch ya :P

bwhinnen
19-09-2003, 08:55 PM
You re-dress the pads first. The object it to ensure that the pads are pre-bedded in, ie all of the crap has been leeched out of them. Yes you can do both at once, I had to on my car as well (had no choice pads were almost to metal and the rotors were under legal width). This is what I've been told by several leading brake distributors including the main tech guy from DBA (not trying to preach just passing on info).

No the destructions don't say that, but the guys that sell the DBA's do (ie Steve from DBA), just cleans the protective coating off of the metal of the rotors.

Which pads did you end up with?

Cheers
Brett

Toyboy
20-09-2003, 12:25 AM
Im running the bendix advanced pads on my rotors,seem to work well so far :wink:

submersiblepotato
20-09-2003, 08:47 AM
hey guys, i ended up getting the dba's and some low ash street kevlar pads from autospeed.. thanks for all your replies......

Is it a pain in the neck to replace the rotors? do yo have to replace the wheel bearing seals/bearings or does the disc bolt on somehow.... I'm sure that i will be able to do it whichever way it goes on but i dont want to get stuck without a part that i need mid job..

cheers,

Sub

Toyboy
20-09-2003, 11:48 AM
Its easy as piss to change over dude,it is a floating hub style setup so soon as you remove the caliper the disks just pretty much falls off :D No need to remove any bearings or anything else :wink:
Btw how much did you pay all up for the disks and pads dude :?:

Catch ya :)

submersiblepotato
21-09-2003, 04:45 PM
$310 all up, delivered to my door... :D