PDA

View Full Version : [BA] Replacing tie rod ends

Dogo
30-03-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm after some advice on replacing a tie rod end please.

Well it seems my front passenger side tie rod end has popped off the tie rod , separating the wheel from the steering. Luckily this happened while parking, not driving else I might not be here to tell you about it.

I haven't had a good chance to look yet, but from what I could see while the car was up on the tow truck, the tie rod is sliding in and out of the rod end. So it looks like the thread has gone inside the end !?

The thread is still visible on the rod, and the nut is there.

I'm going to replace the drivers side one as well. The boot has been split for a while and spitting grease around. I've been putting off replacing it, but this the perfect opportunity.

A few questions,

1. Can I get replacement ends from an auto store or do I need to source them from a wrecker ( or trader from this site ) ?

2. Should I replace the rod as well ? Is it hard ?

3. Do I need to get a wheel alignment afterwards ? I don't know if the nut is in its original place on the thread, to use it as a reference point anymore.
If so is it a case of "get a wheel alignment before the car goes on the road again" , or "get it done and the earliest convenience"

Is it odd for the end to pop off like this ?!

thnx,

Dogo
30-03-2008, 05:51 PM
piccies from the service manual , in case its useful. Sorry about the webcam quality.

The service manual doesn't mention about replacing the rod ends ( as in, it doesnt talk about screwing them onto the rod and securing the nut )

Cosmo Dude
30-03-2008, 06:44 PM
1. Tie rod ends are available for many vehicles and I can't see why the Astina would be different.
2. Replacing the rods would be difficult. You would need to remove the steering rack.
3. Get a wheel alignment either way. Your front end has just had a big whack.

Dogo
31-03-2008, 09:52 AM
thnx,

I'll go see my mate at autobarn and see if he can order me some new ends.

D

andrewck
31-03-2008, 03:58 PM
I doubt you need to remove the rack, If you are replacing the tierods and Rack ends you may need to get new Rack boots as well

Dogo
31-03-2008, 05:21 PM
for now I plan to just do the ends, unless the rods are damaged or warped

andrewck
31-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Yeah but you may find the Rackend could also be worn

mike_d87
31-03-2008, 07:25 PM
I strongly recommend getting a wheel alignment. It's very unlikely they can be replaced in exactly the right position, and doing it by eye is not accurate.