PDA

View Full Version : Hub Removal?

OZY-323
05-05-2008, 01:50 PM
just wondering if anyone can help on the easiest way to remove the hub of an astina 95 hatch front wheels, what tools i would need? never done it before but i wanna know how its done?
tried searchin it but couldnt find nothing?

Oz

DavoAust
06-05-2008, 12:45 AM
i can tell you how to remove the back, haven't done the front yet though. if its the same as the back you'll need a punch, very long breaker bar with a 32" socket i think. try 2m bar depending on your size. also a thin screwdriver and offset sockets for the caliper. oh and a chisel

1. take wheel off
2. remove caliper, 2 bolts one on each end
3. remove disc
4. get chisel and prise off the cap on the hub. try a hammer, it'll work a treat
5. get punch and tap out the notch in the nut
6. get socket and breaker bar + friend, watch said friend struggle to turn nut. yeah its just a tad tight. you may need a bigger bar
7. remove hub and prelub new hub assembly

repeat in reverse. i used new hubs altogether so i didnt have to press any new bearings etc.

newman
06-05-2008, 09:38 AM
for fwd front hub removal

lift car up
take wheel off
bend keyway out on the hub nut
put wheel back on minus centre cap
put car back down
using a 32mm socket and the biggest bar you've got (you want a bar at least 30-40cm long) have one person hold the socet on square while the other person jumps up and down as hard as they can on the end of the breaker bar. Sometimes you might need a 3rd person to sit in the car and put their foot on the brakes also. This can be a painful process as these are usually VERY TIGHT, if they aren't i'd be worried.
once you've got that nut loose raise the car again
remove the split pin from the steering arm, and undo nut (14mm i think)
Get a heavy weighted hammer and bang the steering tie rod untill it becomes loose (hit the side of the tie rod hole thing that is attached to the hub, do not hit the bottom of the thread and hit upwards as you'll **** the thread)
using a 17mm socket undo the two bolts on the bottom of the shock absorber assembly and the two bolts that hold the ball joint to the contorl arm (wishbone)
lift hub off

there is no need to remove the disc or caliper at all

:)

OZY-323
06-05-2008, 09:49 AM
thanks mate!
sounds like fun!