PDA

View Full Version : Broken TV - PS2 and Sub question

mill_mobile
20-05-2008, 06:57 AM
Hi,
I went to turn on my TV in my room last night and there was no power getting through to it, so its time for the tip.
I dont want to buy another TV at the moment as cash is a bit tight and i'd rather put it towards my bike or surf equipment.
Just wondering if its possible to hook up a PS2 to my laptop, if so, how?
And also, i have a 8in sub hooked up to my stereo - the laptop would sit very close to this (a few inches away), will the huge magnet in the sub cause any long term or short term damage to my laptop? I know with my TV, when the TV was too close to it it would make the corner of the screen closest to it go a bit red, but it wasnt an LCD like my laptop is.
Any help would be great.
Thanks
Jono

marcs_sp20
20-05-2008, 08:04 AM
I wouldnt have a clue to do it, but why not go and buy another "cheap" tv from cashies for the time being???

mill_mobile
20-05-2008, 08:15 AM
I wouldnt have a clue to do it, but why not go and buy another "cheap" tv from cashies for the time being???
The one i had was a Dick Smith generic one so that was only cheap... At the moment i am looking at buying a new road bike (pushie) worth 2K so i need every penny for that, so another cheapie isnt an option!
EDIT: i reckon i'll end up hookin the PS2 up to the family TV - i rarely used it for games anyways... will just use my lappy to watch dvds or watch them out on the other tv too.

Putonyourshoes
20-05-2008, 10:34 AM
yeah jono. putting the sub that close probably isnt a good idea. it ruins computers pretty quick especially if its a strong magnet.
why dont you have a look on ebay for some crap tvs?

mill_mobile
20-05-2008, 11:04 AM
I reckon postage would kill the cost of gettin a cheapie, and also i doubt anyone in tassie would be selling a tv on eBay, it'd be a pretty long shot.
This might even be a good time to change my room around! Will see what happens, actually, i think my grandparents may have an old TV i could scam;)

02-KQ-LASR
20-05-2008, 07:31 PM
would your laptop have any points to connect too? eg video in audio in etc?
if you you could prob get something to convert the 3rcas into another plug for comp. but my laptop doesnt have any entry points for somethin like that, i think

RedLineResident
20-05-2008, 10:18 PM
don't think it can be done unfortunately

also id keep the sub away, speakers don't effect LCD screens but computers they probably do, so just be safe

DavoAust
20-05-2008, 10:19 PM
a sub magnet will affect the screen given time. it'll may also play havok with your harddrive, magnets have that effect :)

mill_mobile
20-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks guys, lucky i held off relocating my laptop to near my stereo by the sound of it!

guntersmells
09-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Yeah, unless your sub was mag. shielded (which is a possibility), keep any hard drives or computers or anything like that at least 30cm or so away.