PDA

View Full Version : Help! - Alarm problems...

bmk
19-04-2003, 04:55 PM
[color=#000F22:post_uid0]I really need help..

I was shoving something under the driver's seat and now my car won't start. I think I hit something to do with my car's alarm. Now the problem is I have no idea what type of alarm I have and no clue on where i'm supposed to shove my alarm key..

Blardy hell.... i'm guessing its my immobiliser which kicked in[/color:post_uid0]

Dogo
20-04-2003, 10:20 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]dead bodies belong in the boot ...

in what way does the car not start ? does it make any noise / attempt to start, or does the key just turn and nothing happens ?

i reckon you should un-bolt the seat. theres a bolt in each corner, and possibly a plug to the seat belt warning thing.
Take a look and see what u can see. Also, check ur fusebox.

good luck![/color:post_uid0]

bmk
20-04-2003, 12:44 PM
[color=#000F22:post_uid0]erm.. how'd u know it was a body? ???

what happens is, when u turn the key it begins to start and then dies. while this is happening there is a soft alarm as it starts.

but now.. it doesn't even do that.. i got a feeling i flatted the battery too now .. @*&@$![/color:post_uid0]

bmk
20-04-2003, 01:43 PM
[color=#000F22:post_uid0]actually when i try to start the engine now theres just a clicking noise..[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
20-04-2003, 04:51 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]Does sound like you have flattened the battery. That clicking
is usually when the battery doesn't have enough amps to turn
over the motor.
Is your car 2nd hand. Could be that the previous owner
installed a kill switch and you bumped it on. Happened to
me years ago where I installed a GTS dash into my old Monaro
which had a kill switch wired into it. Called the NRMA and all,
he found it I couldn't dare tell him I had just changed the
Dash and caused the problem myself.

Regards

Mal[/color:post_uid1]

JynX
20-04-2003, 06:32 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]A ticking sound is a flat battery. If the car turns over but doesnt start, the immobiliser is armed. If you knocked a wire out of the immobiliser box the car wont even turn over. If it turns but doesnt start... try pressing the button on ur keypad to un-arm it.[/color:post_uid0]

bmk
24-04-2003, 11:18 PM
A ticking sound is a flat battery. If the car turns over but doesnt start, the immobiliser is armed.

I've had both these sounds.. but now its just the ticking

Is your car 2nd hand. Could be that the previous owner
installed a kill switch and you bumped it on.

Yep.. car's 2nd hand and i've checked for a kill switch but to no avail.

Thanx for the feedback guys.. i still havent had time to fix the car as of late but will get NRMA in ASAP.. i'll let u guys know what happens :)

JynX
25-04-2003, 11:03 AM
Really just sounds like a flat battery... If its ticking you probably wont be able to kick it over with jumper leads you buy at kmart as they are ****. NRMA will boot it over no problems.

ABC
25-04-2003, 11:52 AM
Agreed, Dead battery for sure. Had the same thing happen to me a little while ago. Just came outside one morning and it wouldn't start just got a tick from the starter motor.

If its a manual you should be able to push start it without too much trouble and then drive it to an autoelectrician to get a new battery. Then again, the NRMA guy should get you going and tell you the same thing.

if you have someone else handy and a multimeter check the battery volts when you start the car. It'll probably be fine while the car is sitting there and drop straight off to 0Volts or close to it when you turn the key. Battery is FUBAR.

Not cheap either! the new battery for my V6 is a real grunty jobbie and cost me near $140!

Hope this helps! :)

bmk
08-05-2003, 10:35 PM
Finally fixed!! :lol:

Apparently the battery was faulty and needed to be replaced. The first time we got NRMA in, it was fine after they gave it a jump start but then after driving it for a while it died again. CONCLUSION battery was pucked.

So just got a new one in and its running smooth as usual. Also the old battery been stuffed and low must have triggered the immobiliser some how :x

Once again thanks for the input!

Trav
09-05-2003, 08:51 AM
yep - the alarm sound is because the battery was dead. An alam is smart enough to know if power has been cut, so you probably had you aram go off when the new batter wqas put in too.

I have back up battery on my alarm, so if I take out my batter the siren goes off.

Toyboy
09-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Yeah mines the same :wink: