PDA

View Full Version : D2 VS Whiteline

70NYD
11-06-2008, 03:08 PM
hi ppls
ok so heres the thing, my shockys are on their way out, and i want to lower my car, which is kinda a good thing cus i need to take the springs off to replace the shocks anyway. but i went to autobarn and got quoted something along the lines of 800 just for parts (bout 400 for the springs(whiteline) and bout the same for shocks (monroe i think) front and rear). on top of that id had to do alot of work taking the springs out n puting new ones in which from previus experices isnt all that fun. i changed the springs on my mums car n me and stepdad nearly got killed as the spring compressor cracked. so id prefer to avoid that. i found a full set of D2 32 way adjustible coilovers for just over 1000. thats 200 more only and i get to play around with the shock and spring setings as well as the camber front and rear as much as i want to. so here is my question. as i live in brisbane does anyione know what is the local rules on coilovers. also which one of the two would be better, as the price for the D2 is as much as i would wanna spend. well no i wish i could spend more but i cannot aford it haha. :)

RedLineResident
11-06-2008, 03:24 PM
check this out

http://astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12050

FLiP
11-06-2008, 04:06 PM
You could go for the coilovers but you've got to remember that they are full on racingspec suspension. Are they suitable for the roads you regularly drive on. I have been on cruises and my mates on coilovers have whinged the whole way about how bumpy it is.

Another friend of mine bought a set of D2s and installed them himself on an '02 corolla but could never get them quite right. The tyres wore unevenly, there were knocking noises in his sway bar when he steered. He went to get them professionally installed and they wanted $250-$300 and didn't seem to keen to do it when he showed them to the guy behind the counter simply because they are so difficult to set up properly.

So from my experience i would go for the shocks and springs, install it yourself and then go get a wheel alignment. Easy as that.

70NYD
11-06-2008, 06:33 PM
check this out

http://astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12050
woah thats a pretty good price. im just a little if-y on anithing that is used. had a lot of bad experience with used sht on my old car. but i dont have the money in the next 7 days either way. but FLiP i know what u mean about the bumpy ride, i dont mind that i was gonna go for a set of really soft springs, prob like 3f 2r or something, but wouldnt a electronic wheel alignment fix the wear issue. cus after you set it how u want to n get it aligned wouldnt it b all good? im really confused here i dont know much about suspension at all

RedLineResident
11-06-2008, 06:47 PM
you can rebuild them if they leak

have a word to rupe, he's had a set and would be able to give you some feedback on them

as for tire wear, there is a more things to consider, not just the alignement.

ive got perfect alignment, but my camber is negative hence i get inside wear.

any time you do something to the suspension, the geometry changes, then you need to do more things to get it right. Its not always as simple as plug and play, but if it was my money, i would go coilovers.

shocks and springs are good, but you gotta match the rates to get a good working relationship between the two, then you need camber kits, then installation cost etc and you're looking at a lot of $$. Keep in mind that you will probably need to replace some bushes as well, seeing as it is a car thats getting up in age as well.

And if you get coilovers you (in most cases) will have; height, damper and camber adjustments. So you can always change the settings of the rideheight, stiffness, camber etc. It gives you that option and the spring and damper rates are matched right, there is no guessing.

70NYD
11-06-2008, 09:09 PM
ye what i meant by wear is the uneven wear that was refered to by FLiP. i wasnt gonna run much camber anyway, -1 mayb but i know what u mean about wear. my old VL used to have crazy inside wear as i had it on -5 with bolt adjustments. so D2 looks like the way to go ay :D i like the sound of that. what bushes are u talking about but? all of them or just some? its easier to do all when im underthere ay

bourbon
12-06-2008, 11:03 AM
you can rebuild them if they leak

have a word to rupe, he's had a set and would be able to give you some feedback on them

yeah have a talk to rupe about it :p hahaha im gettin his rebuilt atm...pain in the arse...first set only 2 could be rebuilt at a low price...but the other 2 omg...its over $1200 to get all 4 rebuilt atm...maybe more...so weve got a second set here tryin to make 1 good set out of 2 sets...

Rupewrecht
12-06-2008, 11:09 AM
yeah have a talk to rupe about it :p hahaha im gettin his rebuilt atm...pain in the arse...first set only 2 could be rebuilt at a low price...but the other 2 omg...its over $1200 to get all 4 rebuilt atm...maybe more...so weve got a second set here tryin to make 1 good set out of 2 sets...

Yes...I do not wish to talk about it! :eek: :rolleyes:

marcs_sp20
12-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Also talk to Project.R.Racing / Ryan on these forums, he's got the D2 coilovers in his BA hatch, and im pretty sure he can still get them cheap aswell...

70NYD
12-06-2008, 11:25 AM
awesome thanks guys

70NYD
18-06-2008, 07:04 PM
hi i just had a brainwave.. what about air suspension. cus that way low+over speed bumps eazy XD what u think guys?

Putonyourshoes
18-06-2008, 08:15 PM
youll need a permit for them. and its pretty hard to justify it to the insurance companies if its not a ute or something:)

70NYD
18-06-2008, 08:19 PM
:( **** well what if i say something along the lines of wanting to keep the car as low as legaly possible but not having a hassle with speedbumps XD lol it should work enzos have a speedbump feature similar to it but i think its linear actuators that momenteraly extend the suspension for that purpose :) they wont buy it but will they LOL

RedLineResident
18-06-2008, 09:25 PM
you gotta spend about 4-5k on air suspension thats decent

otherwise its crap and a waste of time

go the coilovers

project.r.racing
19-06-2008, 06:08 AM
G4 = yes, coilovers from JustJap in Sydney!!! 2 year no questions asked warrenty, softer or harder spring available also.

D2 = no, as company is difficult to deal with, product is good though, same as G4 + K-Sport.)

JIC = yes, 2nd hand product, costs $120+ to rebuild each corner if required, has thin front camber plate, (can crack,) no parts avaliable.

K-Sport = no, dunno who to deal with, unknown who has a dealership with them.

If I was currently on the market, I would be buying the G4s from JustJap. They are available for $1399 and take 2 weeks to deliver and have a awesome warrenty period.

Coming a very close 2nd, would be the JICs. They are a very good product. I used a set for a bit over a year. They were great. My D2s where only a little bit better ride, handling and adjustablity than the JICs. Dan can get them for you into the country for around $800 a set on most occasions, which is a pretty good price I think. Then I would rebuild the front whether they require it or not, at $250 (inc. 6 month warrenty.) So all up the JICs will cost $1050, but has a 3 month waiting period cos the small boat from Japan takes forever!!!

So your call:-
$1399 for delivery in 2-3 weeks + 2 years warrenty.
-or-
$1050 for delivery in 3-6 months + 6 month warrenty.

Ryan

ps. Or get Esprilir or RSR springs from Japan through Dan, much better springs than whats available in OZ.

p.p.s. There is a HUGE thread I started 2 or 3 year ago with suspension options thats over 200 posts long. It's got some good info there and some even better in-house fighting also.

bourbon
19-06-2008, 08:27 AM
GSA suspension in slacks creek deal with k-sport from memory...

and dont start talking about rebuilding the JICs there a pain in the arse...if the shaft is rusted then you wont have adjustable damper anymore by the looks of it so far...im gettin a guy to look into it...

70NYD
19-06-2008, 09:44 AM
k thanks for that bourbs il check them out 1st as i am in slacks creek..
thx ryan i would like jic as i heard nothing but good stuff bout them, but i dont want seccond hand, i have very bad luck with seccond hand stuff..
this is the air suspension that i found It is by ProBag (http://www.probag.com.au/air%20page%204.html) apparently best in oz but thats just a quote on their site. it looks fairly easy 2 install but i dont know. anyway thanks for all the help and info guys im gonna have to think really hard about this one cus any one of these is expensive, and the air ride would b 2.5k..

bourbon
19-06-2008, 10:00 AM
for airbag suspension...talk to aribag man in brendale...

Airbag Man

(07) 3889 6556
U1/ 126 Southpine Rd
Brendale QLD 4500