PDA

View Full Version : Honda Odyssey, parking Brake and brake lamp are on

zillah
12-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Recently I just have noticed the "Parking Brake" indicator (light) goes on, and "Brake Lamp" indicator (light) stay on as well,(i.e both lights are red) with my Honda Odyssey 2000 2.3 L , 7 seater car.

I checked the fluid level in master cylinder (reservoir), and it was low , little bit above min level , I added fluid till to the max level, but both light still are on.

Park brake arm (pedal) is all the way off and its switch isn't stuck.

The wires that are going into the side (not to the cap) of master cylinder lid are not pinched, and it looks in good condition.

Any though what might be a problem ?

Thanks

hks_kansei
12-06-2008, 04:36 PM
ummm..........

maybe ask on a Honda forum?

zillah
12-06-2008, 04:37 PM
I did , but I did not get help yet.

RedLineResident
12-06-2008, 04:41 PM
has this happened before?

what's your odometer at?

it may be a case that your car is letting you know that it's perhaps time to get a brake service, in which case those lights won't go away until the honda dealer puts a nice big tick in the ECU's service schedule.

Or are the brake pads low, you may have electronic sensors which, instead of squealing, inform you that the pads are low by displaying those indicators. Its a guess, but its a honda and you never know. Fcuking things are a pain, i have a 98 Prelude and ive noticed how they're not very DIY friendly.

zillah
12-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Or are the brake pads low, you may have electronic sensors which, instead of squealing, inform you that the pads are low by displaying those indicators.
Good shot, I guess you hit the point, I guess 85% this is the reason, I will update you about that

70NYD
12-06-2008, 04:47 PM
it might be the the break wear sensor, as in the breakpads are worn thru nearly all the way? check that but this is just a complete guess

mike_d87
12-06-2008, 04:51 PM
has this happened before?

what's your odometer at?

it may be a case that your car is letting you know that it's perhaps time to get a brake service, in which case those lights won't go away until the honda dealer puts a nice big tick in the ECU's service schedule.

Or are the brake pads low, you may have electronic sensors which, instead of squealing, inform you that the pads are low by displaying those indicators. Its a guess, but its a honda and you never know. Fcuking things are a pain, i have a 98 Prelude and ive noticed how they're not very DIY friendly.

Odyssey's have nothing that fancy, just a sensor on the reservoir cap for fluid level. Most likely to be a fault code (if it has abs), or possibly a faulty switch. I will check a manual at work tomorrow if you haven't sorted it out by then

70NYD
12-06-2008, 05:07 PM
lol i just realised redline posted while i was writing. i was bout to finish when i got a call :p

mike_d87
13-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Checked the workshop manual today. The only section regarding the parking brake switch was a continuity test, as it has a seperate ABS light. The quick and easy method is replacing the switch.

hks_kansei
13-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Odyssey's have nothing that fancy, just a sensor on the reservoir cap for fluid level.

it's not that fancy.

electric brake pad wear sensors were an option on the 1982 Mazda 626.

mike_d87
13-06-2008, 08:07 PM
it's not that fancy.

electric brake pad wear sensors were an option on the 1982 Mazda 626.

Just a quip directed at people's perceptions that honda's are full of this kind of thing :p

hks_kansei
13-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Just a quip directed at people's perceptions that honda's are full of this kind of thing :p

oops, sorry. :o

carry on then.

70NYD
14-06-2008, 12:23 AM
comon mazdas were way ahead of their time ofcourse it was a option way back then ;)

RedLineResident
14-06-2008, 09:11 AM
the 626 has a lot of cool sh!t.

ive got an 83 lying around in the garage, - nostalgia.

has electric struts, headlight washers, and a whole bunch of things you wouldn't expect and yet no power steering.

and the honda's are a pain, you can't do anything yourself because they are set out in such an anal way. i absolutely hate it. having said that, they are build pretty well. i just wish they would drop the double wish bone suspension and go to a good ol' McPharson's style.

70NYD
14-06-2008, 11:37 AM
haha speaking of nostalgia, mums got a 80 Crown. that thing has a fridge in the real parcel shelf, climate control, and a full chassis. we rearended a 4wd with a box trailer a few years ago, the guy was parked in the middle of the rd 4 some reason, ever a creast so we didnt c him, n nothing happend 2 her car. well da bonnet got a bent, but neway the trailer n the towbar n the 4wd were completly fuked ;P good old strong fuel guzzlers

DavoAust
14-06-2008, 01:09 PM
nice, go the crown. all cars should have fridges, where else can you cool the beer for the end of the road trip?

zillah
14-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Or are the brake pads low, you may have electronic sensors which, instead of squealing, inform you that the pads are low by displaying those indicators.
It was brake light bulb burned out, which causes two "Parking Brake" indicator (light) goes on, and "Brake Lamp" indicator (light) stay on as well.

When I replaced it with the new one everything now is fine