PDA

View Full Version : Garage. Brisbane boys

Clarky_BA
25-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Guys,

I spoke to a mate the other week about seeing if he wanted to setup a garage, basically we get a warehouse or similar and fill it with equipment. Welders, pipe bending, spray booth, sheet metal bending etc etc... we open it to the public, as in anybody can come in and use the equipment at a cost. It is pretty much a non profit thing so the cost would be very fair. We get some of the old boys in with the skills, retired boiler makers and welders / plumbers etc and they supervise and pass on tips. We provide a quick introduction to the machines so no hands get cut off or eyes poked out and away you go.

The intention is to pass on knowledge and to provide somewhere for guys to hang out, fight the new age depression kind of stuff.

Hell even Bourb's can bring in his megasquirt and I will help him build it.. lol

Just wanted to gauge reactions, as in would people be interested in this?

70NYD
25-09-2008, 10:03 AM
ye man that sounds awsome, there is so much i wanna do to my car, but i never have the right tools haha

Orion
25-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Search the forums. Greg (Astro Boy) talked about doing a similar thing a few months back. It might be worth re-igniting that thread so that resources could be pooled etc.

Clarky_BA
25-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Orion,

Thanks for the info, just looked at Astro's and very interesting.
This would not however be a specific car garage / club so to speak. We would welcome bikes, 4WD's and people can bring in speakers, washing machines, anything they want to tinker or play with.
Would be no alcohol due to machinery and licensing issues, and potentially no food. This could all change depending on the interest though.

Will pm Greg to see what held him up or if he got it started.

Basically it is a spot where if you needed to pull something apart to fix you could bring it down and do it. Weld it, soldier it, sand blast it and paint it. All the stuff that most people are unable to do because the garage is full or they don't have the tools but wish they could.

Putonyourshoes
25-09-2008, 02:21 PM
sound good. but one problem... your doing it in the wrong state..

project.r.racing
25-09-2008, 04:46 PM
this is already happening in brisbane. it's only on saturdays in west bris somewhere. mainly the hotrod bryz get into it.

try a google search for it... i saw it on the gasoline tv program.

ryan

hks_kansei
25-09-2008, 10:15 PM
also remember the safety issues with untrained people using the equipment.

Clarky_BA
02-10-2008, 09:42 AM
I have a few brokers looking into the insurance and yeah it is a bit of a nightmare. It is because of those people that go out and use your gear for little to no cost and then do something stupid and sue the ass of you.

Will keep looking into it though, as I think it would be awesome.
Thanks for the post about the hotrod boyz, I guess I dont want to feel intimidated by turning up with a 323 BA Astina when they all have mustangs, GT's and the like.

This is the picture I have in my head.
Remember the school workshop, as in year ten metal work. Well I want all that machinery to play with so I can work on projects etc...
Anyway will keep you all posted.

Thanks for the feedback.

70NYD
02-10-2008, 10:05 AM
if you want you can allways have a release waver that everyone has to sign when they join, and allow the shop to only be axcessed by members only. i dont know the actual extent of it cus i dont study law but im sure something can be made up thats a legal binding contract that if someone uses the machinery in there and thru no fault of yours (IE very dodgy machines), just thru their stupidity, they hurt them selvs then they cannot do nothing. that would mean that the machinery would have to be certified i guess... man its getting complicated :(

but thats just one idea :)

my dream is to own a field, at least 600m long, somewhere in the stix, far away from any sort of development. the get the whole thing leveled, compacted, and concreted.
that way you can drop cones down n have a track for racing, drifting or a drag race cus its long enough n sht like that. haha thats just my dream but itl never happen :(

02-KQ-LASR
03-10-2008, 05:05 PM
there would be hell issues, not only if ppl hurt themselves but what if some tool comes in and breaks parts/stuff? or even worse steals etc? were would that fee come from?