PDA

View Full Version : newbie

Clean_Cookie
19-10-2008, 09:51 PM
hey guys, my name is ryan. been into rc cars for 3 or so years and today i decided to buy my first car. thanks for the tips/tricks on this site and im sure i will be able to find some great stuff in the future when problems arise! (hopefully not too soon!)

abit about me:
17, learners permit still, go to indooroopilly state high
going for a job interview on tuesday for an electrotechnology apprenticeship!

so hey! if any of you are interested in rc cars i can show you some of mine. until then have fun!

ryan

(got a 1997 BA hardtop (manufactured in august, new wing design on the front, not sure which model i got, can someone help? $4500 in great condition (comparatively anyway... and the aircon and clock work :rolleyes: ) alloys and a noisy exhaust (dont think its stock. if anyone has a pic of underneath their 1997 id like to compare.) also has alloys and wide low profile tyres! was suprised the seller wiped 1000 off the original price, but it was all i could afford :P

Putonyourshoes
19-10-2008, 10:53 PM
welcome mate! get some pictures up!

Clean_Cookie
19-10-2008, 10:59 PM
ill get pics up of the car when it gets home tomorrow... on the prowl for the best TPP insurance for under 20's... any suggestions? so far the cheapest i can crash is $1400 in the first year + my cars damage....!

bloody expensive, some company wanted more than the value of my car for comprehensive in 1 years cover!

Rhys_Mazda323
20-10-2008, 12:38 AM
that's pretty standard for a 17 year old mate

i struggled to get 'fair' quotes for my 02 protege

i think you should be able to get it down to $1000 or a little less
$1400 seems high

mussing
20-10-2008, 01:06 AM
Typically if you're on your Ls the insurance won't be too high if it's in a parent's name, because it means that no matter when you drive it you'll be supervised by a fully licensed driver. It's when you get your Ps that it jacks up.

$1400 is about right for someone who's under 25 and has had their licence for less than 2 years. Until you've had it a bit longer I'd suggest putting it under a parent's name.

As to insurance prices, GIO is pretty good for younger drivers generally, as is AAMI. Try messing about with the flexi premiums page until you find something you like.

rodhog
20-10-2008, 01:47 AM
yeah it's bummer.

Forget Full cover IMO if oyu go under your name it's not worth it.

The main aim is to to stay clean for as long as possible.

once you get the first 3 years clean or it's more like 5 now. It will help you.

insurance wise if parent can help use there name but do remember you will hurt there recoord if you do F-UP. Insurance companys love it. They get to have reason for uppping insurance policy's

like Not yours but the other cars. IT's a joke but happens

marcs_sp20
20-10-2008, 04:50 AM
welcome mate ;) when do ya get off your L's?? Would be great to see ya on a qld cruise :D post up some pics asap!

project.r.racing
20-10-2008, 07:10 AM
(got a 1997 BA hardtop (manufactured in august, new wing design on the front, not sure which model i got, can someone help? $4500 in great condition (comparatively anyway... and the aircon and clock work :rolleyes: ) alloys and a noisy exhaust (dont think its stock. if anyone has a pic of underneath their 1997 id like to compare.)it's a P3 or F3 depending on the number of cylinders.

sounds like to got a good price. but they are coming downing in price nowadays.

ryan (also)

Clean_Cookie
20-10-2008, 08:23 AM
thanks for the replies guys!

ive done heaps of hrs on my parents auto commodore wagon (mine is nicer than our other car lol!) but no manual to practise in, so im a complete noob!

done 3 hrs in manual before so the clutch better be ready for some abuse!!!

after i can park and hill start im going for my test. probably 1.5 months or something

ive gone hunting and heres what ive written down if it helps anyone???

AAMI - $275/pa + fire/theft ($60) ($335)
excess: $500 +

MALES UNDER 22 $700
MALES 22 AND UNDER 25 $500
FEMALES UNDER 22 $600
FEMALES 22 AND UNDER 25 $400
DRIVERS 25 AND OVER BUT LICENSED UNDER 2 YEARS $200

if crash in first 12 months: $1535

allianz -$767.98/pa
excess of $450 + $500 under 25.
if crash in first 12 months: $1717.98

NRMA -$772.61/pa + $500 + $400 male under 25.
if crash in first 12 months: $1672.61

Just car insurance - $228/pa + third party fire and theft $170/pa ($398)
$400 + $600 till 22. male (female $550)

if crash in first 12 months: $1400

as you can see, just car is the cheapest in the first year if i crash into someone (to pay for their car only!) but their theft and fire cost is high...?

aami *owns just car* is cheaper if i dont crash in the first year, and the rates drop significantly over time (more so than others for some reason?)

i want to get it in MY name to build my rep (NCB) otherwise ill never afford it again! (and my parents are with allianz and not interested for one.)

so yeah, ill be getting that today! hoorah... not.

any tips/tricks i should know about this car?

thanks guys again,
ryan.

hope to get out on a cruise when i get better, no intention of getting a $300 speeding fine though!!!

project.r.racing
20-10-2008, 09:30 AM
no to allianz, very difficult to deal with

just car is nowadays a good company.

Rupewrecht
20-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Welcome to AGT!

DavoAust
20-10-2008, 12:33 PM
i have mine registered under mum's name and i'm on there as the main driver. $1400 including all the above with NRMA. It's also covering stereo, wheels, exhaust and lowering (for when i get those springs [looks at dan :p]).

Clean_Cookie
21-10-2008, 08:59 AM
here it is:
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii18/esavageforme/Astina/astina002.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii18/esavageforme/Astina/astina001.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii18/esavageforme/Astina/astina003.jpg

marcs_sp20
21-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Looks good mate, just needs to be lowered ;)

Rupewrecht
21-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Haha, Noble green - of course!

Clean_Cookie
21-10-2008, 10:14 AM
not going to lower it anytime soon... unless theres a cheap way of getting adjustable suspension. i just want an economic, smooth ride... any suggestions?

mussing
21-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Looks like a pretty good get for $4500 - how many Ks on it?

Clean_Cookie
21-10-2008, 04:50 PM
220000 which is bad i know, but he drove to and from redcliffe to the gold coast every day, 5 days a week!
he got the car 3 years old with 40k on it... so i can only assume most of the k's were racked up from going to/from work.
highway driving wouldnt wear the clutch/gearbox or motor out near as much as stop/start traffic?

anyway, its all i can/could afford!

70NYD
21-10-2008, 06:01 PM
mate the car is awesome and the ks arent that bad. if it was all highway driving thats even better. the kms are actually normal assuming average is 20000kms a year for a daili driver. enjoj and welcome to AGT :)

Clean_Cookie
21-10-2008, 07:10 PM
had my first drive in it lol. still suck at it but ill get better... dad is trying to teach me double clutching and i cant even do a hill start first time haha. o well. least its got some power :D

is it normal for the clutch to only engage in a really small area? (i.e. for fast changing?) it seems i dont need to depress my foot all the way unless putting into reverse, that normal? thanks and sorry for the questions... hopefully i can help someone else in the not too distant future... thats the greatest thing about forums.
ryan

DavoAust
21-10-2008, 07:20 PM
had my first drive in it lol. still suck at it but ill get better... dad is trying to teach me double clutching and i cant even do a hill start first time haha. o well. least its got some power :D

is it normal for the clutch to only engage in a really small area? (i.e. for fast changing?) it seems i dont need to depress my foot all the way unless putting into reverse, that normal? thanks and sorry for the questions... hopefully i can help someone else in the not too distant future... thats the greatest thing about forums.
ryan

i've seen your car a couple of times before. did it live on the southside for a bit?

the clutch takeup depends on how the pedal is adjusted and the clutch itself. i have to put the clutch right to the floor most of the time to shift.

see if you can get some lights for the fog light holes and some smoked indicators, will look even better :)

Clean_Cookie
21-10-2008, 07:38 PM
yeah, tingalpa then redcliffe before that i think... :)

seen SOO many of them now, lol. guess that will make parts that little easier to get? the fogs ive already looked into but no money :(

can you show me an example for the lights? how much do they generally cost? (thats the only thing i hate about this car :S