PDA

View Full Version : how bad is this ???

asanga
03-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Noticed a crack on the rubber strut top. Front driver’s side. I remember it was a small crack before but now (probably under more stress due to the strut brace) has grown large.

Any way how bad is this ?
what can happen if I keep driving like this ?
can I fix it without replacing the whole strut ?

Cheers

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u154/asangag/strut/IMG_0107.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u154/asangag/strut/IMG_0108.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u154/asangag/strut/IMG_0110.jpg

mussing
03-11-2008, 09:55 PM
I don't think it's a major drama, but if you're really concerned you can get replacement ones from a wreck or OEM from mazda - though from mazda they'll cost an arm and a leg.

My strut tops / bearing plates are rusted through and split, and it doesn't detract from the driving as far as I can tell.

Rupewrecht
03-11-2008, 10:00 PM
I'd certainly replace it sooner rather than later. All you need is that rubber strut top - no need to replace the shock.

70NYD
03-11-2008, 10:10 PM
im with rupe on this one, if u look at the 2nd pic it looks like the two cracks might propagate untill they meet. pretty sure if that happens ul loose that suspension? someone corect me if im wrong but isnt there a chance that the shock top might go thrugh the bonnet?
dont mean to scare you but as rupe said just get new ruber tops and replace them :) better safe then sorry right ;)

DavoAust
04-11-2008, 12:54 AM
im with rupe on this one, if u look at the 2nd pic it looks like the two cracks might propagate untill they meet. pretty sure if that happens ul loose that suspension? someone corect me if im wrong but isnt there a chance that the shock top might go thrugh the bonnet?
dont mean to scare you but as rupe said just get new ruber tops and replace them :) better safe then sorry right ;)

ahaha not quite. the strut is still bolted down, the rubber top is more for cushioning then anything else. its still worth replacing,

they aren't too expensive from mazda, someone said $40 once i think?

70NYD
04-11-2008, 10:35 AM
ahaha not quite. the strut is still bolted down, the rubber top is more for cushioning then anything else. its still worth replacing,

they aren't too expensive from mazda, someone said $40 once i think?

:confused: i thought that for the strut, for the BA, there are three bolts on the top and two on the bottom(that attach it to the hub) or do you mean the rubber top has many layers. cus what i meant it will still stay attached to the hub, but it will extent through the strut tower and the damper will hit the hood :confused: haha im sooo confused now :(

DavoAust
04-11-2008, 11:00 AM
:confused: i thought that for the strut, for the BA, there are three bolts on the top and two on the bottom(that attach it to the hub) or do you mean the rubber top has many layers. cus what i meant it will still stay attached to the hub, but it will extent through the strut tower and the damper will hit the hood :confused: haha im sooo confused now :(

theres a steel plate under that rubber that forms the top of the strut. it won't become a makeshift bonnet lifter :)

70NYD
04-11-2008, 01:15 PM
:) gotcha never knew that haha

asanga
04-11-2008, 02:30 PM
thanks guys...talked to mazda and just the rubber top (metal reinforced) is $165!!! they said they can do it for $144....still too expensive. anyway it doesn't look like a straight forward job because the strut top needs to be removed which means the spring is gonna come off too!

mussing
04-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Wreckers.

asanga
04-11-2008, 02:45 PM
yep....wreckers ....

DavoAust
04-11-2008, 04:10 PM
thanks guys...talked to mazda and just the rubber top (metal reinforced) is $165!!! they said they can do it for $144....still too expensive. anyway it doesn't look like a straight forward job because the strut top needs to be removed which means the spring is gonna come off too!

it doesn't just push down onto the strut top? weird, the only ones i've seen haven't needed the strut top removed.

guess i'll have to take a look when i get the new springs

project.r.racing
04-11-2008, 05:46 PM
anyway it doesn't look like a straight forward job because the strut top needs to be removed which means the spring is gonna come off too!buy yourself a set of $20 spring clamps and do the job yourself. it'll take you 10 minutes to do...

asanga
04-11-2008, 10:41 PM
it doesn't just push down onto the strut top? weird, the only ones i've seen haven't needed the strut top removed.

well...that's what I thought too....but that's certainly not the case! maybe that's why its so bloody expensive at Mazda.....

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u154/asangag/strut/untitled1.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u154/asangag/strut/untitled2.jpg

asanga
04-11-2008, 10:43 PM
buy yourself a set of $20 spring clamps and do the job yourself. it'll take you 10 minutes to do...

yep....I saw those clamps at supercheap...will give it ago once I find a new or secondhand strut top.

project.r.racing
04-11-2008, 11:39 PM
tonyd is gonna install coilovers soon, he'll have a few spare maybe?

rodhog
05-11-2008, 12:16 AM
I'd replace it soon

I've seen them fail recently on some cheaper cars - excells and lancers. Where owners Go - OH didn't know Oh merchanic said something and siad it cost alot . Well it cost alot mroe now with a damage bonnet LOL

I pushed a few through a bonnet once on a few padock bashers.

An old 323 84 model - but I jumpped it off speed hump in the backstreets of Campsie. At speed that was not good.
car was dropped 50mm on the spot and well It was fun driving around with sparks a leaking carb and well I guess if it wasn't for the eventual fire - we proberly would of driven it too school the next day.

But ah changing shock absorbers before damage occurs is a good idea. Because in alot of cases mazda don't make them any more and alot of aftermarket suppliers don't do high number runs on such low change over products.

Putonyourshoes
05-11-2008, 08:54 AM
tonyd is gonna install coilovers soon, he'll have a few spare maybe?

nah last i heard he was giving them to me?

70NYD
05-11-2008, 10:35 AM
nah last i heard he was giving them to me?

you mean the coilovers? or the struts?

Putonyourshoes
05-11-2008, 10:44 AM
coilovers! why would i want the struts?:P
nawww just kidding mate/
cars in the exhaust shop as we speak;)

70NYD
05-11-2008, 10:55 AM
hehe sweet ;)