PDA

View Full Version : Wheels?

KittyKatSmack
30-10-2003, 02:11 PM
OK, with all the conversation about wheels and wheel sizes n stuff, what is the largest LEGAL wheels we can put on the BA hatch?

Is it 16 * 7 or 16 * 6.5?

Just out of curiosity.....

(no killing the kitty please!)

Ta!

pr1mo
30-10-2003, 02:17 PM
depends on where you live and which aftermarket wheel palaquard you decide togo for :P hehe but i think in canberra/sydney they max is 16x6.5 a very odd size and very hard to find the perfect tyres to match :P

cheers mike

Dogo
30-10-2003, 03:06 PM
get a v6 owner to check, but i think the stocks on the v6s are 6.5" wide. if thats true we should be able to have 7.5" legally from what i understand ( max 1" wider ?? )

im not sure abt rim diameter, but id say at least 17s

tho dont buy anything based on just my guesses :wink:

mike, we're talking LEGALLY. no dodgy changing wheel placards :P

KittyKatSmack
30-10-2003, 03:11 PM
yes, no changing wheel placards, I want to be covered by my insurance

and it's for a 1.8L BA... not the V6 unfortunately......

but this is why I am asking the question BEFORE I look at wheels!

:wink:

Aaron
30-10-2003, 03:39 PM
6.5" width is common enough - especially for the 4 stub cars as the majority of these need 6" or 6.5" width to stay legal. (Lancer/Corolla/Honduh etc)

JynX
30-10-2003, 03:56 PM
6.5" width is common enough - especially for the 4 stub cars as the majority of these need 6" or 6.5" width to stay legal. (Lancer/Corolla/Honduh etc)

Stock is 14"x5"

15"x6" is the largest rim you can run legally as ive been told by NSW coppers although they will tolerate 16s. Apparently what the RTA says and what the cops say contradict as in NSW the rta lets you have 1" larger then the largest factory option, but the coper I got pulled over by said that the extra 1" is at the officers discretion....

The 6cyl wheel/tyre is irrelevant to 4cyl owners as the largest factory option on the 4cyl was 15s. Unless you do what im gonna do and swap the tyre placards... no dice on 17s or 7" rims on a 4cyl.

Another suggestion I had was to put a very high profile tyre on the spare and if I get pulled over again, pull out the spare and show the copper as the 17" rim is only 1/2" bigger then the stock wheel/tyre combo I have atm.

Aaron
30-10-2003, 08:28 PM
Ahhh so you're really getting pinched for rolling diamter?

Width/offset and rolling diamter of wheel and tyre combo are the only legally defined terms... Diameter of the rim (versus rolling diameter of wheel and tyre combo) is simply nothing to do with the Police or RTA UNLESS the wheel and tyre combo exceeds the rolling diameter of a stock wheel by 15mm or more (I think it's 15mm - you'd want to look up the "Code fo Practice to light vehicle modification" on the RTA website to be sure.

Insurance companies on the other hand impose their own 'limits' to protect their underwriting on claims for bling bling wheels.

mmm Now do I go and rip the pizza out of the oven and eat or dig up the relevant text....

Cosmo Dude
30-10-2003, 09:52 PM
The stockies are 14" x 5 1/2' jj steel rims or 15" x 6" jj for the alloys. Question is what does the RTA and your insurance company allow.

If the Mazda engineers would pull their fingers out and plaquard the cars correctly with wheel/tyre sizes then modifying them could be loads easier.

Rod

pr1mo
30-10-2003, 11:00 PM
another thing to take into concideration is load rating. a 205/40R17 will normally have a max load rating of 82 most are rated at 80. 1.8 astinas need to be 84 2.0L astinas are heavier at around the 87-88 mark (i know its 530kg). this is what victorian cops go for (so im told) not so much the rolling diamater.

cheers mike

Dogo
31-10-2003, 08:34 AM
The 6cyl wheel/tyre is irrelevant to 4cyl owners

i might be wrong. My impression was that they considered the largest option available on any model of the car . Which would mean the v6 options are valid for the 4cyl.

Stock is 14"x5"

does that include the stock mags available for the 4cyl ? or only the 'hubcap wheels' ? The stock mags look bigger than 14"s to me :)

ABC
31-10-2003, 11:06 AM
Of a little relevance.....

The stock alloys for the V6 are indeed 16 x 6.5's

tinkle tinkle - another 2c in the jar. :D

Rupewrecht
31-10-2003, 11:57 AM

i might be wrong. My impression was that they considered the largest option available on any model of the car . Which would mean the v6 options are valid for the 4cyl.

as far as i know it's dependant on engine option - so what you're said is the opposite of what i thought!

JynX
31-10-2003, 12:04 PM

as far as i know it's dependant on engine option - so what you're said is the opposite of what i thought!

I read the NSW RTA guidlines and got the impression it was based upon what the manufacturer specifies for your purchased vehicle. The only way the cops have to verify the manufacture specs is the tyre placard. So its 1" bigger then the largest option on your tyre placard.

KittyKatSmack
31-10-2003, 03:09 PM
OK, well tyre placard changing sounds very dodgy to me.....

I am more interested in being covered by my insurance in case of accident.....

I doubt that I would get defected or anything like that, I am a nice gal :D

The nice policemans and policegirls seem to allow a bit of latitude to me, coz I am a friendly person 8)

And coz I don't give anyone no schtick!

LOL

Rupewrecht
31-10-2003, 03:16 PM
OK, well tyre placard changing sounds very dodgy to me.....

thats because it's mike :roll: :lol:

pr1mo
31-10-2003, 04:16 PM
haha as soon as i become a missionary to save a rare and endangerd species of gorilla in Zambia itll be concidered dodgy almost strait away

hehe and i remember you saying something about changing your plaquard too danny boy :P hehehe

cheers mike

Rupewrecht
31-10-2003, 04:20 PM
but have i ever done it? no :P

i'd rather engineeer my car than be hit with a heavy fine for trying to mislead the cops ..|..

pr1mo
31-10-2003, 04:41 PM
..|.. ..|.. ..|..

KittyKatSmack
05-11-2003, 09:50 AM
so, after all that....

what was the answer to my question again?

:?

*Kitty in her world of konfusion*