PDA

View Full Version : A-arm brace too low

DavoAust
11-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Hey everyone,

finally got around to installing the a-arm brace i had on friday. my first thought was, wow thats low. it probably sits a good 2 or so lower than the cat converter.

Turns out it is very low. scrapped getting up the gutter and going across 2 speed bumps today. i have to crawl across the damn things to not scrape. this is after lowering the car about 1.75" so on a stock height car it'd probably be fine.

from what i can tell its made of aluminium (it weights bugger all, its either that or titanium which i doubt). i don't want to take it off, its made a huge difference to the car which i wasn't expecting. its stiffer, much more neutral and is more comfortable to ride in (no idea why, just is :) ).

what i want to know is if anyone here knows if its possible to bend a hollow aluminum bar without cracking it, and what welding gear you'd need. I'm gonna assume it'd be TIG? I'll take some photos tomorrow if i'm home early enough.

project.r.racing
11-01-2009, 10:04 PM
the reason why i haven't installed one yet. my car is 2.75" lower than standard, so i'd have even more issues. still gonna buy one as they are cheap nowadays at $100 + shipping.

as for modding it, i'd be highly doubtful if you could, as it will soften the metal and highly reduce the effect of it, it has no adjustment to it, so bending it or cutting it will cause fitment issues also.

ryan

Rupewrecht
11-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Heh hence why i haven't put mine on

You could get something custom made up, but it don't be as strong vs weight.

They're pretty resilient though from that i've seen fron other users

rodhog
12-01-2009, 12:37 AM
well I don't use any but one of the cars I often get under a S2000 has a twin X- braces

now a stock S2000 is very stiff - this is added complete and over all adds approx 20mm to the underside of the car at most.

IMO - these devices are not for daily use.
Reason being your Daily car is not a race - car if it is . Get another car.
I say with the fact that, it's like solid engine mounts, half cages and hardened race seats. It defeates the purpose of the car.

Now on your issue of the brace. Alluminum can be bent hollow tube - round tube etc. The problem is in doing so you weaken it.
If it's formed corretly of bent the correct way it's not a problem.
Yes you mostly TIG weld on A/C Alluminum.

Most cross frames I know are chrome molly steel or hi grade Alloy. Not Alluminum.

Please note it might be a high grade Alloy and not Alluminum.
Big differences.

Common - mistake is to call all Alluminum - "Alloy". When an Allloy is any mixture of metals.

Sorry to be pain but I get it all the time and it ****s me

It would make the car feel alot better as the HT is a 3 peice car.

They flex - but it's this flex that makes alot of car acutally useable on the street. So does decent ride height.

120mm ground clearance is a good height. rules might state 100mm.

but 120 is a real good, on most cars it means Mediam strips can still be taken out. We might not all be running from the law but knowing you can get passed can be helpful

DavoAust
12-01-2009, 11:10 AM
yeah i though about as much. guess i'll have to look at making a new brace when i get the new exhaust.

dan are there any other braces around that have better clearances?

oh, ryan i'll take a photo of how close it is to the ground. you'll have major problems getting over anything with your ride height + the brace

Rupewrecht
12-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Apparently there's a Type-R one that some Euro BAs got, but i've never seen pics. Otherwise only Cusco for BA

SP BLING
12-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Yeah I fitted mine the other day as well (although my car is still on stands....) The brace sits about 2" below the engine and cross member so defiently some extra room there to play with.

marcs_sp20
12-01-2009, 05:06 PM
oh god, hate to find out how low mine sits when I get around to fitting it :(

Aaron
12-01-2009, 05:32 PM
120mm ground clearance is a good height. rules might state 100mm.

but 120 is a real good, on most cars it means Mediam strips can still be taken out. We might not all be running from the law but knowing you can get passed can be helpful

Well said..

I like the idea of the brace myself and perhaps will do something down there on the Lynx. At the end of the day it's conceptually not difficult (it's a strut brace at the bottom of the suspension essentially) just needs some creativity to design something tucked up a bit more.

A.

SP BLING
23-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Just an update on this. My brace has 110mm clearance above the tarmac with Mazdaspeed/Eibach 30mm lower springs fitted.

project.r.racing
23-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Bugger, that would mean i'd have 75mm underneth after fitment. cheers for info sp bling.

DavoAust
23-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Just an update on this. My brace has 110mm clearance above the tarmac with Mazdaspeed/Eibach 30mm lower springs fitted.

mine is just under 10. have gotten used to it now. just gotta remember it whenever i go over gutters, speedbumps and driveways. how much of a difference have you noticed? seems to be much more neutral, can make the car snap oversteer though :D

DavoAust
23-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Bugger, that would mean i'd have 75mm underneth after fitment. cheers for info sp bling.

no way you'd be making it up any driveways. i suggest diy custom brace. i'll be at mooloolaba the 31-1st if you want a look

70NYD
24-01-2009, 01:16 AM
uuum doest the brace go between the wheels?? if it does than it shouldnt scrape even on ryans with 75mm clearance(allthough that would b illegal) cus if its between wheels it will lift up same time wheels lift up, unless you go over a bump that does not touch any wheels ( like roadkill or something..) i could b completly wrong though if the brace doesnt go inline with the wheels hehe

project.r.racing
24-01-2009, 01:23 AM
yes it's the whole illegal bit i'm more worried about. been driving stupidly low car for ages and have no problem with it. but don't wanna give the police another chance to play boss with me.

DavoAust
07-02-2009, 02:03 PM
a quick question:

i was under the car to do the rear mount (how the **** do you do it without removing the driveaxle?) and i realised that you can mount the a-arm brace at the front or the rear of the arms..

which end should it be on? i have it on the rear (think its wrong :( ) but i think it should be at the front?

SP BLING
08-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Mine's mounted at the front as that is where there will be the most flex occurring. Interesting to know that it can be mounted on the rear of the arms as well...

Had a look at mone though and because I've got the caster offset bushes fitted, it can't be bolted on the rear due to the spacing being greater between the bolts

BigMal
08-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Do post some pics up would love to see how they mount up. Its something I would
love to add but with lowered and 3" exhaust and offset bushes its a pipe dream though :(

Rupewrecht
09-02-2009, 09:19 AM
It should be at the front, closest to the sump.

A few of the UK guys mounted it at the rear and had them break! So i'd advise against it.

DavoAust
09-02-2009, 12:14 PM
It should be at the front, closest to the sump.

A few of the UK guys mounted it at the rear and had them break! So i'd advise against it.

not suprised, it was taking a hell of a beating back there. was in the perfect spot to catch every speedbump unless you absolutely crawled over, even then you'd hit every so often.

car feels a bit different, less stiff overall but a little more predicatable through the corners. i'm going to take see if i can get some decent hollow piping and make an underbody brace.

Rupewrecht
09-02-2009, 12:42 PM
i'm going to take see if i can get some decent hollow piping and make an underbody brace.

Try the Ultra one - it mounts somewhere there.

At least it explains why you were scraping it everywhere - it wasn't between the wheels as it should be!

DavoAust
09-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Try the Ultra one - it mounts somewhere there.

At least it explains why you were scraping it everywhere - it wasn't between the wheels as it should be!

Ultra make a underbody brace for the astina? I can only find mx5, rx8 and 6's

yeah i thought it was odd at the time, its kinda nice to go over speed bumps without a scrape again

EDIT: found a link you put up on jdmstylestuning, the front brace looks good, if a bit chunky (comes down low?). i don't think the rear brace would clear my muffler.

Did the guy ever get any imported?