PDA

View Full Version : Parking lights and instruments don't work

Punkrock_Scotty
28-02-2009, 10:59 AM
93 BG Sedan.
This only started happening recently, and it started off as the instruments(incl. climate lights) and parking lights (front and rear) would go out intermittently, then after awhile they would stay on. Then it progressed to the same sort of problem except they would stay off for long periods of time. Now they stay off 99.9% of the time.

Headlights/Highbeams/Indicators still work fine.

First thought was fuses, so i checked both the fuses in the driver's kick panel and the ones in the engine bay. All fine.
Then i took apart the steering wheel surround and played around with the indicator stem. As far as i can tell its functioning correctly but the stem has been a bit iffy since i bought the car so i could be wrong.

70NYD
28-02-2009, 01:00 PM
i dunno to me sounds like a earthing issue mayb pull apart the conection in the stork and blow it out with air and put it back together, mayb clean it a little as well, and also check the earths, whereever they are. thats what id do first anyway, but im sure someone else will have a better solution
Tony

scott b
28-02-2009, 05:12 PM
i had a problem with this when i installed a headdeck into my mates car, i didnt earth the stereo properly and he couldnt get instrument lights, parkers or his tail lights. but from memory that just kept blowing fuses everytime u tried turning them on, but i think earthing would be the best bet from my minor experience.

karamello
28-02-2009, 08:33 PM
yep its an earthing issue...happened to me a few times on different cars

DavoAust
01-03-2009, 07:14 PM
i'd say the fuse is dodgey. try a spare.

chewyryce
02-03-2009, 10:44 PM
i had a problem last week where my tail lights, dash lights blew. turns out it was the switch so i pulled it apart and cleaned it with some fine sandpaper and it works now

Punkrock_Scotty
08-03-2009, 06:35 PM
yeh leaning more towards the switch/indicator stem as it tends to have an effect on the parkers being on or off.

Madd_Maxx
09-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Id put money on an earthing issue

Had the same thing happen when i put in my new head unit. Didnt earth it and blew one fuse after another.

Dogo
10-03-2009, 08:22 AM
TAIL fuse

shaikaka
10-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Id say stem, had a similar problem in my old car where the lights would flicker, fuses tend to just blow and be for specific areas.

Punkrock_Scotty
11-03-2009, 12:34 AM
yeh if it was a fuse it would most certainly not work at all right?