PDA

View Full Version : SP20 or MX5 steering wheel onto '96 Astina??

tim
17-11-2003, 01:12 PM
i went for a drive with a friend the other night (me in 96 astina, him in SP20), and i noticed how much nicer his steering wheel is...

so i was wondering if anyone knows if the wheels would be an easy swap or not? ie do i just find one at the wreckers and whack it on (and not set off airbag :shock: ) or do i have to try to get a boss kit of some description??

Rupewrecht
17-11-2003, 01:39 PM
hmm...

does yours have an airbag?

if not, it should be just a case of a straight swap - it's just that the airbag on the new steering wheel wont be functional

if you do, then i'd be very surprised if you could just connect the airbag plug into the 96 and then have it work. If you leave it disconnected, then it become a legality issue as you're not allowed to remove a steeringwheel thats fitted to an airbag-equipped car.

also just dont expect a mazda steering wheel to be cheap -or easy to find. odds are that if an SP20 is at a wreckers, it's been in an accident and the airbag has probably gone off!

BigMal
17-11-2003, 02:40 PM
Yeah I tried to get a MX5 Nardi Airbag wheel last time I needed
to get my steering wheel replaced, as you could twist the grip
in your hand. The Airbag component was $1500 and then you had
the base wheel which wasn't cheap either. I went no thanks.

Regards

Mal

tim
17-11-2003, 02:49 PM
yeah, my car has an airbag - i was planning on having it still functional, because as you said it is illegal, and if i do have an accident i'd rather headbutt the bag over the wheel :wink:

hmm, so even if it did work in theory it would cost a packet :cry:

probably better off getting a new off the shelf airbag wheel then tracking down a mazda one... and if i get my way i'll only have to drive the mazda for another year :D

Rupewrecht
17-11-2003, 03:34 PM
i think Momo airbag wheels are about (well used to be) $2500...

last time I needed to get my steering wheel replaced, as you could twist the grip in your hand

exactly the reason i neede to get a new one

BigMal
17-11-2003, 04:14 PM
I have had it replaced 2 times under warranty. Spewing that the car is out
of warranty now as it was only 1 of about 2 parts on the car I hadn't voided
warranty with !!!

Regards

Mal

Rupewrecht
17-11-2003, 04:18 PM
wow thats bad! at least mine lasted for 100,00kms or so

dfvadr
17-11-2003, 04:43 PM
the plugs should be the same an it is always on a yellow wire

to change turn key off disconnect battery unplug airbag [yellow wire] take wheel off ,put new wheel on connect airbag then put battery lead back on turn key on airbag light should be on an there you go traded an fully functional

tim
17-11-2003, 11:38 PM
well if odd12c is correct, then all i need is a cheap SP20 airbag wheel, don't think its going to happen though :cry:

and yes, my steering wheel is starting to twist as well :? 80000k's on it

Guruswarmi
18-11-2003, 06:57 AM
Yeah,
The grip on my wheel is starting to twist as well at 99K :( I was thinking of changing mine as well, especially when I took a ride in my mates MX-5 and noticed his wheel.

Keep us informed Tim with how it goes! Good Luck :D

tim
18-11-2003, 02:12 PM
probably won't be much informing to do, unless i find a wheel for very cheap.. :roll:

Rupewrecht
18-11-2003, 02:31 PM
starts trawling thru www.partslocator.com.au! :lol: :wink:

as it shouldn't cost more than $20 to ship it from anywhere in australia

KEEVRS
18-11-2003, 04:18 PM
CANT BEAT A MOMO WOOD GRAIN WHEEL FOR THAT "ANTI TWIST IN YOUR HAND " FEELING!!!!

pr1mo
21-11-2003, 11:12 PM
there 'was' that wrecked SP20 we all checked out in melbourne :P it had an airbag wheel which hadnt gone off. maybe it could be for you. although we never heard back from those guys :(

cheers mike