PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bars

Pettos
10-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Righto guys,

So on the way are my front strut brace, and lower control arm bar... Now, two questions!

1. Is the strut brace a difficult install? Are there any how-to's around here on it?

2. This produces more over-steer yeah? Should I now be looking into a rear sway bar to even it out?

Cheers,

Pete (teh n00b)

DavoAust
10-05-2009, 11:58 PM
to install just undo the nuts, put the sway bar on and then torque the nuts back up. if its an adjustible bar set it so its firm.

i found the strut brace made car more neutral (from stock), control arm brace made it more prone to oversteer and the rear sway bar made it more neutral. thats the order i installed them too.

Ice88
11-05-2009, 01:19 AM
The oversteers awesome.

Its good cause its no where near as snappy as if the rear springs where stiffer then the fronts. Its just more predictable in a sense, makes corners alot more fun :D

project.r.racing
11-05-2009, 04:29 AM
1. Is the strut brace a difficult install? Are there any how-to's around here on it?

2. This produces more over-steer yeah? Should I now be looking into a rear sway bar to even it out?1. Very easy to install. No need for how-to's.

2. No. Yes.

phly
11-05-2009, 09:39 AM
As far as I know, its the rear sway bar thatll give you more over-steer (or try to anyway). Stiffening up the front gives you more under.

Pettos
11-05-2009, 10:26 AM
1. Very easy to install. No need for how-to's.

2. No. Yes.

That was an awesome reply.. Lol.. Yeah I was looking at it, it looks pretty self explanatory... Just was making sure before I broke something.

I meant to type

2. This produces more under-steer yeah? Should I now be looking into a rear sway bar to even it out?

70NYD
11-05-2009, 12:53 PM
there is one thing i will share. seeing how i fuked one of my copper/brass nuts up cus i didnt use a proper size socket - make sure you use a a proper size socket/spanner/wrench as the nuts are very soft...

Sleepy Gonzalez
11-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Front STB very simple. 40ft/lbs for the nuts iirc. If it's the GTSPEC like I have, the middle of the bar may rub on the hood lining. I was lazy and just protected it with tape.

By control arm bar, do you mean the front lower tie brace? If so, my GTSPEC was a bit more fidddly but still simple enough. Can't recall the torque needed.

I didn't notice a huge difference myself, just a bit more power understeer, I think. But that was a fair while ago. Did the rear STB too.

DavoAust
11-05-2009, 02:14 PM
he's got a BJ, so it shouldnt rub on the bonnet.

if the BJ is like the BA the a frame brace is a ****. to do one bolt up you're having to jam the socket/spanner against the sump.

plus it scraps against gutters/speed bumps/humps if you're not careful, annoying but its worth it

Pettos
11-05-2009, 03:19 PM
yeah...

I figured as much... So they're pretty much bolt-on mods... Just make sure they go on the right way :p

Sleepy Gonzalez
12-05-2009, 11:43 AM
I've got a BJ 1.8

And the tie brace is a bit lower than the transverse member... Mine's got a few scratches in it from stock ride height. Now I'll have to be more careful with the BC coilovers set a bit lower.