PDA

View Full Version : Mod opinions on BA Hatch

dosh
18-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Hey Guys,

Is the BA Hatch worth moding?

Dont wanna put money into a car that prob wont last you know haha

Lets say that its a '98 Model n things are running fine, n the owner is pretty cheap lol.

What u'z rekon?

marcs_sp20
18-05-2009, 10:21 PM
any car is woth modding as long you have the money to do the mods...

But from my experience, yes, the BA is relatively easy to mod. Have a look at peoples project threads and readers rides for example, there are some very fine cars on this forum ;)

Cheers
Marc

Dogo
19-05-2009, 07:34 AM
The cheap mods are worth doing. You can squeeze some extra power out of reliably and cheaply with the tips you'll find on this site. Getting a cold air duct to the factory airbox ( with a good panel filter ) is a good start. Then with some new suspension springs and shocks you can improve the handling and make the car look better.

I drive a BA and its a fantastic fun car to drive. Mine has plenty of power for street and handles like its on rails. But its cost $$ too.

The BA is getting old but from what I've seen over many years, it seems to be very reliable. Especially if you look after it.

Diztorsion
19-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Getting a cold air duct to the factory airbox ( with a good panel filter )

where can i get this for my BJII? :)

Cosmo Dude
19-05-2009, 06:46 PM
where can i get this for my BJII? :)

DIY

Hey Guys,

Is the BA Hatch worth moding?

Dont wanna put money into a car that prob wont last you know haha

Lets say that its a '98 Model n things are running fine, n the owner is pretty cheap lol.

What u'z rekon?

Is any car worth moding?
Some people will upgrade to a new model every two to three years so to them it's a waste of money to mod their ride. Some just see their car as a way to get from A to B.
At the end of the day you should ask your self some questions:
Am I just trying to keep up with my mates?
Am I realy interested?
Could this money be better spent? (Booze, Drugs or Whores)
Can I be assed spending more on Insurance?

This is just the tip of the ice burg

70NYD
19-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Could this money be better spent? (Booze, Drugs or Whores)

lol i didnt expect that from u :p

-dc-
19-05-2009, 07:31 PM
lol at that, i know that modding cars does 'waste' alot of money but that really would be a waste spending your $ on that!!

70NYD
19-05-2009, 08:05 PM
speaking of wasting money, i wanna make myn a awd turbo with LPG.. i think i might be going crazy

-dc-
19-05-2009, 08:10 PM
i think u are 7ONYD, there's alot of work to installing awd, like floor pan mods to house the running gear, the handling/grip gains would be great but the loss of power through the drivetrain would be disappointing, keep it fwd, wayy more fun with a turbo strapped on, trust me...

Rupewrecht
19-05-2009, 08:24 PM
and just remember that the MPS3 is quicker than the MPS6 in a straight line and around a track ;)

70NYD
19-05-2009, 09:00 PM
LOL how much of the floor pan has to be modified? I was thinking running the exhaust a different way and using the exhaust tunnel for the drivetrain.. All from a laser and a LPG tank in the boot. Ok I think deffinately I am going crazy from uni stress

-dc-
19-05-2009, 09:19 PM
im not really sure but just getting enough room for the diff and the driveline to the rear diff would take up alot of room, i remember seeing a build where they did a awd conversion on a lancer using evo running gear and alot of the floor plan had to be lifted to allow enough clearance for all the gear in the rear. not having the fuel tank woul definately help but i still think mods to the floor would have to be done. althought it would be an awesome project if u did go ahead with it.

70NYD
19-05-2009, 09:44 PM
its ages away anyway, i had that idea for so long now i dont even remember why i wanted to do it in the 1st place. at 1st and for a long time i wanted to get a familia and strip it and everything out of it.. then after months i got pointed towards a laser.. i think cus noone else has it thats y i wanted to do it lol. in the end il prob get a turbo with lpg, or leave it fully stock. i regret not getting a cheaper one now that has heaps more kms on it so its easier to do the conversion. i only have 160xxx kms on the clock and engine has no problems at all with only some very slight oil ring wear. i was told that this is standard cus they were built by kia?!? or something and have crappy rings..

on the lancer note i was reading about a eclipse with a awd conversion. only mod to the floor if i remember they had to do was to cut 2 small holes to extract the shrt bolts for the fwd setup rear sub asembly and replace them with the awd setup rear subasembly bolts which are longer by a inch or so. but then the fwd and awd models were identical aparently..

most common senced ppl would say to get a new car, one thats allready awd turbo like i want, but i ahve never seen one with that setup that AFAIK looks even remotely as attractive as the BA. well nothing apart from the gallardo :p

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/1645/img0290sy1.jpg