PDA

View Full Version : Sports springs install

jimbob35
21-11-2003, 08:12 AM
Is the fitting of sports springs a DIY job?

I dont have great knowledge of cars, but have a good idea. I also have a chilton manual.

I have a 1997 BA 323F. 1.5.

I dont want to waste money for fitting, thats all.

JynX
21-11-2003, 08:22 AM
You need spring tensioners to do it.

jcywong
21-11-2003, 08:29 AM
you don't need spring tensioners to install shorter spring
you only need when you changing back to stock, but if you find another mate to help you press down the spring then you can unscrew the top so you don't need it either way

sik astina
21-11-2003, 08:37 AM
You need spring tensioners to do it.

jcywong,

you don't need spring tensioners to install shorter spring
you only need when you changing back to stock, but if you find another mate to help you press down the spring then you can unscrew the top so you don't need it either way

if he has lowed springs in his car already he will not need them.
You do need the spring tensioners to make the standard spring shorter to take them out. if u dont their is no way in the world u and ur mate can hold the spring in there coz there is so much tension and will fly out. as i done this to my car i can say it was an easy job. just take ur time. u gotta strip the rear boot inner platic to get to the rear shocks.

oh yeh. will be lowering my g/f's (Miss_323) 97 ba astina this weekend. i will take pics :D

-Mick

dfvadr
21-11-2003, 06:54 PM
mik u can get heavey duty cable ties put the around the spring before u jack up the car an they will hold ur springs compressed ol bushy trick

jcywong
21-11-2003, 08:42 PM
sik astina: well well i see what you mean but you just lay the whole thing on the ground at least 5m away from any object then use an air gun to unscrew the top nuts and what's next you will see it fly out like a cannon.......

sik astina
21-11-2003, 10:01 PM
cable ties ay Rod. learn something new everyday. i'll stick with my clamps ;)

LMAO @ Jcywong :lol: :lol: funny ****

JynX
22-11-2003, 12:52 PM
sik astina: well well i see what you mean but you just lay the whole thing on the ground at least 5m away from any object then use an air gun to unscrew the top nuts and what's next you will see it fly out like a cannon.......

heh this is why we should recommend using spring tensioners :)

or cable ties as the bushman says.