PDA

View Full Version : SP20 engine mounts and gearbox

lewwy
13-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Hi all,

I can't remember if I've already posted about this or not, but here goes.

Basically I took my Astina SP20 to a mechanics a couple of months back because there was an audible clunking when changing gears. I thought that maybe my gearbox oil was as old as the hills (driven the car for 10k so far and don't know what the history was like before I got it). The mechanics said that my gearbox mounts and engine mounts were perished, and as well as rotors for my shuddering brake and new bushes for the front right (old ones were broken) it'd cost me about $1100 all up.

I was under the impression that you need to pull the engine out of the car fully to replace the engine mounts, but my brother told me that this is not the case, and that its pretty easy to do yourself.

So I'm putting it out there, how easy is it to do engine/gearbox mounts yourself? My bro's a bit of a mechanic (managed to pull the engine out of a rx7, get the low compression fixed, and then put it back in by himself). Also what parts would I be after specifically? (part numbers etc). Part no's for the rotors would be a plus also :)

Thanks all

marcs_sp20
13-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Brake Rotors = $180
Pads = $80
Fluid = $15 (could go to $70 depending on what you put in)
Mounts = $320 for all 4 or mazda ones = $$$$$

thats only a rough guesstimate, as I havent done a bush I wouldnt know the price unfortunately. your better off upgrading to some RDA slotted rotors & qfm pads.

Mounts are another story, you can buy some off Ebay that are made by Medieval Motorsports in the US for around $320 for all four, or look at around $180each from mazda :eek:

The drivers side, front & gearbox mounts should be easy for your brother, but many a folk find the rear engine mount to be a right royal pain in the ass to fit...

Hope that helps
Marc

phildough
13-07-2009, 05:29 PM
I have just had all engine and gearbox mounts replaced and have also replaced the lower suspension bushes.
The difference it has made to the car is very noticeable.
No more clunks and the car is a lot smoother while driving. Especially on and off the throttle.
Smoother in traffic and much nicer in car parks
I can really notice them every morning going up the 8 levels in the car park building at work.
But then again my old mounts were stuffed....
Oh and lower suspension bushes were about $300 fitted for nolathane bushes there were 3 we replaced on each side.

lewwy
15-07-2009, 06:20 AM
Brake Rotors = $180
Pads = $80
Fluid = $15 (could go to $70 depending on what you put in)
Mounts = $320 for all 4 or mazda ones = $$$$$

thats only a rough guesstimate, as I havent done a bush I wouldnt know the price unfortunately. your better off upgrading to some RDA slotted rotors & qfm pads.

Mounts are another story, you can buy some off Ebay that are made by Medieval Motorsports in the US for around $320 for all four, or look at around $180each from mazda :eek:

The drivers side, front & gearbox mounts should be easy for your brother, but many a folk find the rear engine mount to be a right royal pain in the ass to fit...

Hope that helps
Marc

Whats the difference between Mazda genuine and "Medievil Motorsport"?

Also how much for the upgrade to the slotted brakes?

Also I had a quick look on eBay for sp20 mounts, but I can't see them.

Sorry for 20 questions but this is new to me lol

lewwy
15-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Is this what I need?

http://medievalllc.com/storefront/product.php?id_product=16

My grandad has a pit and I've found a workshop manual so now only a couple of questions remain.

Has anyone here used the medieval line of products? Better than stock yeah?

I have a SP20, and on that site it says they are for a "Protege". My SP20 is a protege in America isn't it?

Thanks for all the help :)

Mad Mat
15-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Has anyone here used the medieval line of products? Better than stock yeah? YES and YES

I have a SP20, and on that site it says they are for a "Protege". My SP20 is a protege in America isn't it?
YES :)

lewwy
15-07-2009, 01:40 PM
So a workshop manual will tell me how to put them in? Or the kit comes with instructions?

Also I don't think that kit contains gearbox mounts....where would I get those from?

And I'd probably hit up Repco or the like for rotors/pads....

Whats the shipping turnaround on medieval products in general?

Mad Mat
15-07-2009, 01:44 PM
So a workshop manual will tell me how to put them in? Or the kit comes with instructions?

Also I don't think that kit contains gearbox mounts....where would I get those from?

And I'd probably hit up Repco or the like for rotors/pads....

Whats the shipping turnaround on medieval products in general?

hmmmm that kit has all of the mounts including the gearbox mounts mate.
the turnaround i have no idea hey. hmmmm will have to contact them ur self and find out.
hit up astroboy 4 pads a rotors hey. i got all of mine from him at just under 500. 4 slotted rotors and dustless pads.

lewwy
15-07-2009, 01:49 PM
hmmmm that kit has all of the mounts including the gearbox mounts mate.
the turnaround i have no idea hey. hmmmm will have to contact them ur self and find out.
hit up astroboy 4 pads a rotors hey. i got all of mine from him at just under 500. 4 slotted rotors and dustless pads.

Ok so about 450 for rotors/pads.... and $320...so roughly $720.

So heres another question, my astinaites.

On a this car, being about 8 years old, after I do these mounts etc, what else would fail soon/need replacing? Bearing in mind that this car had a pretty serious ding earlier this year (I'll dig through my posts and get a link later on).

Sorta tossing up between doing the repairs or putting in a bid for this:

http://www.manheimfowles.com.au/find_buy/power_search/index.mpl?unit_key=94081_AU402650071-94081;detail_tab=vinfo;sort_by=model_year;stream=C ars%20and%20Commercials;state=Queensland;vehicle_t ype_desc=Cars;p=4;model_all=1;tab=make;sort_dir=de sc;rm=view_detail

....but its not bright yellow ;)

chicaboo
15-07-2009, 01:49 PM
If you come over to my place I will install them for you just for giggles. I won't touch the rear engine mount though, and most likely won't do the left side gearbox mount for you on the same day. But I'm happy to help.

Word of caution, if you have an automatic, the right side engine mount won't fit. It also won't fit a 1.8L despite what they say, as the G series gearbox is exclusive to manual SP20s in the BJs, and causes the engine to sit 10mm this way and that. The other engine mounts still work due to the engine mount brackets off the bellhouse/gearbox being designed for either with the same engine mounts being used.

Additional word of caution, these engine mounts will cause vibrations if you get the rear one installed. You may likely notice a bit more vibration with the other 3 in any case. Get your VICS screws tightened while the rear engine mount is being installed by Mazda/other mechanic.

Gav.

Mad Mat
15-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Get your VICS screws tightened while the rear engine mount is being installed by Mazda/other mechanic.

Gav.

yes do that. :D i can't stress that enough hey.

lewwy
15-07-2009, 01:55 PM
If you come over to my place I will install them for you just for giggles. I won't touch the rear engine mount though, and most likely won't do the left side gearbox mount for you on the same day. But I'm happy to help.

Word of caution, if you have an automatic, the right side engine mount won't fit. It also won't fit a 1.8L despite what they say, as the G series gearbox is exclusive to manual SP20s in the BJs, and causes the engine to sit 10mm this way and that. The other engine mounts still work due to the engine mount brackets off the bellhouse/gearbox being designed for either with the same engine mounts being used.

Additional word of caution, these engine mounts will cause vibrations if you get the rear one installed. You may likely notice a bit more vibration with the other 3 in any case. Get your VICS screws tightened while the rear engine mount is being installed by Mazda/other mechanic.

Gav.

Its an automatic, so no worries there. Do you have to be physically under the car to do the rear engine mount? (obviously you'd have to be under it, but like in a pit or the like?). When you say increase in vibration, are we talking inside the cabin or actually inside the engine bay? Do they vibrate more because they are stronger? (I can live with more vibration if it means they last longer).

And lastly, what are the VICS screws, why tighten them and what do you tighten them with? (if its easy to do).

chicaboo
15-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Since you have an automatic, the medievel right side (front of engine) engine mount won't fit. If you were to buy all stock engine mounts today, they would oulast the length of time you'd likely continue to own the car for. The urethane engine mounts will last longer, but cause cabin vibrations. I'd be surprised if you need more than just the front and right engine mounts, certainly not the one over the gearbox at all, and perhaps on the rear engine mount, but you want a stock one there anyhow...

VICS adjusts the airflow charcteristic in the intake manifold with a 4 butterflies. The screws that hold the butterflies in place come undone, and the screws and butterflies go into your engine, usually with catostrophic results.

Gav.

lewwy
15-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Since you have an automatic, the medievel right side (front of engine) engine mount won't fit. If you were to buy all stock engine mounts today, they would oulast the length of time you'd likely continue to own the car for. The urethane engine mounts will last longer, but cause cabin vibrations. I'd be surprised if you need more than just the front and right engine mounts, certainly not the one over the gearbox at all, and perhaps on the rear engine mount, but you want a stock one there anyhow...

VICS adjusts the airflow charcteristic in the intake manifold with a 4 butterflies. The screws that hold the butterflies in place come undone, and the screws and butterflies go into your engine, usually with catostrophic results.

Gav.

Sorry I fail at english. Its NOT an automatic, its a 5sp manual. My bad :(

So can I tighten those screws myself?

chicaboo
15-07-2009, 02:17 PM
OK, you could buy 3 of the medievil mounts without worring about too much change in vibrations. Rear mount will garuantee it.

Nah, take it somewhere to get the VICS screws tightened up. It's worth getting done with the rear engine mount (assuming it needs changing).

Gav.

lewwy
04-08-2009, 05:34 AM
Hi All,

Sorry for the age old bump on this, but I just tried to order these mounts and its coming up saying (on the site) "There is no carrier available that will deliver to this address!"

As I only live in Beenleigh, this seems unlikely. Anyone else here have any problems ordering?

Ice88
04-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Whered you order from for a start?

Medievals located in the US. I wouldnt order from medieval if you can help it, order from another vender which stocks the goods. or get AWRs :)

lewwy
05-08-2009, 07:20 AM
Whered you order from for a start?

Medievals located in the US. I wouldnt order from medieval if you can help it, order from another vender which stocks the goods. or get AWRs :)

AWR's? :S Car newb here, explain your acronyms! ;)

And yeah, I ordered directly from medieval

Any recommendations on who would have medieval parts over here in aus? I'd imagine that they wouldnt be something you couldnt just get from the likes of supercheap etc.

Ice88
05-08-2009, 02:38 PM
There is no one.

If you want parts you pretty much have to get them from the US or some stuff from Japan/Europe.

i think mpsgarage stock front and rear engine mounts there AWRs though as opposed to SLS or medieval.

AWR is a american performance company that makes a bunch of gear for proteges.

Basicall for your average person:
Medieval > AWR > SLS.
In order of goodness for your average joe bloe.

Orion
05-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Basically for your average person:
Medieval > AWR > SLS.
In order of goodness for your average joe bloe.

In terms of less vibrations and possibly value for money, then perhaps Medieval would be a nose ahead. But AWR wins hands down in terms of build quality - I have only ever read about a couple of AWR mounts failing.

Ice88
05-08-2009, 09:35 PM
In terms of less vibrations and possibly value for money, then perhaps Medieval would be a nose ahead. But AWR wins hands down in terms of build quality - I have only ever read about a couple of AWR mounts failing.

Yah i know.

Im getting AWRs :)

Orion
06-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Yah i know.

Im getting AWRs :)

I just ordered my final AWR engine mount - drivers side.

Soon, I will have AWR 70 duro all around ;)

chicaboo
06-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Will they all be the new grey ones though?

Orion
06-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Will they all be the new grey ones though?

No, they won't .... :(

Who asked you anyway? (jks) :p