PDA

View Full Version : SP20 Cruise Control

Andrew_SP20
30-11-2003, 04:41 PM
I was thinking of getting factory mazda cruise control retrofitted to my '02 SP20 because i travel on the freeway every day to work. My question is has anyone else got it or had it fitted? is it a neat install? how much did it cost??? Any help would be appreciated...

Critter
01-12-2003, 05:59 AM
I have it on mine, is quite neat, a wand on the left of the column below the wiper stalk.
Was on as part of the deal I did with the car purchase, I think would be something like $450 or $495 fitted?

Great licence preserver :)

dfvadr
01-12-2003, 08:22 PM
an they work well too ive been to canberra in critters an can speak highly off the way it held a constant speed up hill an down

Andrew_SP20
02-12-2003, 07:36 PM
I booked my car in for it's 30,000 kms service next week and i'm gonna get the cc fitted then. Quoted figure was $471 supplied and fitted. Not too bad i reckon, seeing how it costs $300 to get a regular service done!!

Anyways... thanks for the help guys!

Critter
02-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Coming on the cruise on Saturday Andrew?

SP:KING
04-12-2003, 05:19 PM
Was that at a mazda dealer Andrew? I was thinking of getting it too. Let me know how the install goes and if they put anything on the nardi (leather wheel).

Cheers Marty.

WASP20
06-12-2003, 05:42 PM
I have had cruise on my SP20 since new. I have to say I was a little disappointed in it as I have found it a little more difficult to set than the criuse control I had on my '96 Mitsubishi Galant v624, and also I was a bit miffed it does not have a light on the dash to show when it is engaged.

Having said that I guess it is easy enough to use, functional and I certainly wouldn't be without it!

BTW Marty, mine is Mazda dealer fitted genuine item and there was nothing added to the Nardi wheel, just a new stalk on the left behind and slightly lower than the wiper control.

07-12-2003, 08:20 PM
Thanks (WASP20), BTW your got the same car and colour!

platypus
01-02-2004, 12:18 PM
wasp... the car does have a on dash light.... i'm thinking you might not of been wired up right??

chipa
01-02-2004, 03:49 PM
I got mine dealer fitted on purchase as well (stalk on left of steering column). There wasn't a dash light, but it works great otherwise. Acutally I don't think the dash in the BJ series has a cruise light..

My only hassle is that I find the stalk tends to get a little loose every now and then and I have tighten it up. But I also do use it several times a day..

platypus
02-02-2004, 08:33 AM
i don't have cruise, but my car does have the cruise light... any way i'm sure if you were technically inclined you could eithere wire a seperraate led some where, or infact just solder onto the cruise light on the dash.... the othere side of the light when soldering is the ground wire, its a common ground for all dash lights....

i have aftermarket fogs, which i had to wire seperatley...... i was able to wire the indicator for the dash too!!!

02-02-2004, 03:11 PM
I just had cruise installed, a very neat install, works great, but not having a light is pissing me off.

For a genuine mazda accessory its pretty bodge, also, I wonder why they didnt use
1 of the spare switches as an off/on button, I know it has it on the wand, but what else would the spare switches be used for?

chipa
02-02-2004, 03:19 PM
The extra switches would most likely be for the actual genuine FACTORY fitted cruise syetm and/or a DRL system. Both of which we dont actually get here in Australia!

I just dont know why Mazda didn't allow the aussie models to have cruise fitted as a factory option. This sorta raises a question: Is the system the dealer fits the actual factory system? Or is it a generic aftermarket mazda system?

02-02-2004, 03:24 PM
good call

platypus
03-02-2004, 12:07 AM
my car didn't have central locking, mazda installed some bodge thing.... i don't care, it flashes lights, (at the time factory didn't)

the switch panel is for fog lights (front and rear), dimmer switch, headlight angle (europe) i think the angel eyes (city lights - Japan), -----there is some thing else---

while we are doing this one, the little black thing above your power window switches is for the european folding mirrors - for parking in narrow places

drl can't be switched off!!! was not installed here, but canada, and europe got these....

you guys with dealer installed cruise, should really go back and say that your cruise light doesn't work!!! its in the manual as being there, and if you look hard you can see the thing for it (it lights up green)

submersiblepotato
03-02-2004, 09:48 PM
I'd like criuse control but i've never seen it installed in a manual car....

Auto's can kick back a cog if needed to help with the hills, how do the manuals compare being stuck in one gear?? do they deal with the a/c kicking in and out okay? i drive a 95 1.8 BA...

Sub

Pernod
04-02-2004, 05:26 AM
The only manual I have seen with cruise was in a ltd edition pulsar (they were produced by one of the preformance places - I just cant remember the name of the place - its 3 letters I think, doesn't matter anyway).

He loved the manual curise control! Mind you, the car did have enough power to cope with most things and most of the raods he drove were flatish anyway.

Cosmo Dude
04-02-2004, 06:42 AM
My '81 HB came from the factory with Cruise and it was a manual 12A 6port 97kw @ 7000rpm. It coped with cruise ok, 100km/h in 5th, if it strugled I'd just put it in 4th and hit resume at the top of the hill.

Gaza
17-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Hi guys,

An old post, but can any of you give me models of Cruise Controls that will fit on a 2000 SP20? It didn't come fitted and I can't have anymore fines..

Cheers,
Gaz