PDA

View Full Version : Need advice with my system. got load of questions =)

CityEnd
01-12-2003, 02:55 PM
i really don't have a clue, but I'm keen to learn, hope u guys can give me lots of advice and teach me a fewthings. =)

My current set up is:
JVC KD-LX330R HU
Clarion 5x7
Infinity 6x9

I’ve just acquired the following:
Alpine mrv-f340 4/3/2 amp
And a couple of alpine 10” type r subs.

First dilemma, the HU has 3 pre outs(6channels?), front(L+R), rear(L+R) and subs(why is there 2 channels?).

I am planing to run the front speakers and subs off the amp,

The front speakers is straight forward enough, but I’m a bit confused with the subs. Should I just connect each sub to their own sub channel, or should I bridge the channels and then connect it to the subs together and distribute the signal? If that makes any sense.

Can the amp be mounted upside down on the back of the rear seats?
How much room does the amp need to work safely and not over heat?

The power wire(red) to the HU has a Y section, which is suppose to allow for other devices to connected to it.. could I connect the amp through that, or should the amp really be connected straight to the battery? As this is starting to get out of my league.

And the remote wire has already been used for the antenna, can I split that to use for the amp as well?

I’ve heard that rear loading the subs for the hatch is good, but what about in the hardtop?

Where can I get sound deadening done in melb and how much would it cost?

chris

P.s. thanx dogo for all ur advice so far =)

JynX
01-12-2003, 03:59 PM
The front speakers is straight forward enough, but I’m a bit confused with the subs. Should I just connect each sub to their own sub channel, or should I bridge the channels and then connect it to the subs together and distribute the signal? If that makes any sense.

Bridge the rear channel to create a mono output and run the subs in parrallel.

Can the amp be mounted upside down on the back of the rear seats?
How much room does the amp need to work safely and not over heat?

As long as the cooling fins are exposed to an air gap then it doesnt really matter.My alpine amp is mounted L-R on the rear left seat with about a 10-20mm gap between the sub box. Never had heat problems.

The power wire(red) to the HU has a Y section, which is suppose to allow for other devices to connected to it.. could I connect the amp through that, or should the amp really be connected straight to the battery? As this is starting to get out of my league.

Never run an amp off the car stereo circuit as it draws too much current. You will need to run a direct line from the battery with prob a 40A fuse using 4 gauge or smaller. Put the fuse in the engine bay as you dont want a live wire running down the car chassis if its blown. Some people like to fuse off in both engine bay and boot area. Bit of overkill but looks cool with fuse blocks and the like.

And the remote wire has already been used for the antenna, can I split that to use for the amp as well?

Yep should be fine. You can even use it as a source on a relay to turn neons on and off when the amp is on/off.

I’ve heard that rear loading the subs for the hatch is good, but what about in the hardtop?

The thoery behind this is that the sound wave bounces off the glass in the hatch and heads back towards the cabin. Try it both ways and see what sounds better in your car. Another goody is to goto an audio shop and ask them if you should mount it front/rear loaded. Make it seem like your gonna buy some stuff and they will tell you anything to get you in.

Ive found rear loading is usually better in anycar as the rear seats tend to muffle the sound if fired driectly at them whereas rear loading you have a bit of air to play with. Unless of course you dont have rearseats then fire straight at the front windscreen!!!!

I think most of this is right anyway :) We are always learning arnt we :)

Dogo
01-12-2003, 04:48 PM
why is there 2 channels

coz subs can run in stereo too. i have 2 sub outputs too. My DSP has an option in the menus that lets me choose whether they output as 2 stereo channels or 2 mono channels

rear loading is a matter of preference. The general idea is to have the reflected waves in sync with the forward projecting sound waves. which makes it louder. A lot of ppl say rear-facing subs in a hatch will make it louder. but the drawback is that the sound quality drops. just try it both ways and see which you prefer. or choose whichever is most convenient for you

CityEnd
01-12-2003, 06:47 PM
Bridge the rear channel to create a mono output and run the subs in parrallel.

how do u put 2 dual coil subs in parrallel? put all the + on one side and all the - on the other?

As long as the cooling fins are exposed to an air gap then it doesnt really matter.My alpine amp is mounted L-R on the rear left seat with about a 10-20mm gap between the sub box. Never had heat problems.

cool, i wanted to wedge the amp between the seat and sub box, just didn't know how much room to give it.

Never run an amp off the car stereo circuit as it draws too much current. You will need to run a direct line from the battery with prob a 40A fuse using 4 gauge or smaller. Put the fuse in the engine bay as you dont want a live wire running down the car chassis if its blown. Some people like to fuse off in both engine bay and boot area. Bit of overkill but looks cool with fuse blocks and the like.

i brought an amp wiring & installation kit (http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0440&CATID=24&keywords=&SPECI AL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=xxxxxxxxxx&Key word2=xxxxxxxxxx&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&S UBCATID=619) from jaycar and it has most of the wires i need, but the power wire is only 10 gauge with a 30A fuse, will that suffice?

I think most of this is right anyway :) We are always learning arnt we :)

we sure are.. =)

coz subs can run in stereo too. i have 2 sub outputs too. My DSP has an option in the menus that lets me choose whether they output as 2 stereo channels or 2 mono channels

so what's that like interms of SQ??

thanx guys

JynX
01-12-2003, 07:22 PM
http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html#2dvcsp <- great reference on wiring subs.

http://www.the12volt.com/wiring/recwirsz.asp <- great reference for picking the right cable for the job.

10G is prob 2 small. 8 gauge at least.

Dogo
02-12-2003, 09:53 AM
for that amp i'd be using 4g power wire. it has the terminals to handle it too. im not 100% sure what size fuse that amp will need. 30amp may be fine. since i only have 1 sub it makes sense for me to run my sub channels as mono. you could try urs subs in mono and stereo and see which u prefer. but since they're in the same box, sharing the same enclosure space, im fairly sure they'll sound better as mono that stereo. otherwise the 2 different signals will just make a mess in there.

as for running them in parallel, it sounds like you have it right. does the sub box have 1 set of terminals or 2 ?

CityEnd
02-12-2003, 01:51 PM
the sub box has 2 sets of terminals one on each side.

i opened up the box to see how the subs were wired inside, and it was exactly the same set up as the site JynX game me, it was a series/parallel configuration, with a total impedance of 4ohms.
under that config, there is a parallel/parallel set up which has only 1ohm impedance, can that be done on a simple set up or is that for something with more juice?

oh and also there is a wall dividing the 2 subs inside the box, so they r not sharing any space, i guess it's something i can experiment with, setero or mono. for now i'm just working on the mono.

i guess I'll be getting some 4 guage wire.. hehe so will i needto get a new battery terminal aswelll?

JynX
02-12-2003, 02:11 PM
Probably leave it in the 4ohm config. If you add more subs later you will need to change the setup.

Dogo
02-12-2003, 02:46 PM
new battery terminal = up to you. u can buy a nice shiny terminal with a spot for 4g wire, or u can push the copper into the factory battery terminal. both work fine. I know with my old factory battery terminal, to put a different one on required extending the wires as they met the factory terminal halfway down the side of the battery

CityEnd
02-12-2003, 04:33 PM
oh ok, I'll have to check it out

d'oh, there was a platinum battery terminals for sale on jaycar website on sunday, abt $18, it's not on it anymore, $28 for gold plated ones...

CityEnd
02-12-2003, 10:11 PM
i had a look, mine meet half way down the side of the battery too, i guess i'll have to jam it into the terminal

JynX
03-12-2003, 10:37 AM
You can cut off the metal adapter for the +ve terminal and then cut away the power cables from the loom just under the throttle body which should give enough play to reach the battery terminal.

This is what I have done. Ill take photos for ur leasure.