PDA

View Full Version : A*&#hole Employer

Ghoru
05-08-2009, 07:57 AM
:mad: :mad: My boss just sacked me as storemanager because i wasnt tdoing a good enough job. ok fair enough, aside from 2 things

this was my FIRST job as a manager, so you would expect to get a little more help and a little leniency and

she new about it 4 weeks ago but didnt inform me then, why the hell didnt she tell me then the problem could have been fixed by now.
i have now been given a day to decide if i want to stay on for less hours and money or find another job both are not an option for me as i have a family to feed and i cant go unemployed for the same reason so in go go i have been hung,drawn and quartered.

and to top it off i STILL havnt been told what was doing wrong

bourbon
05-08-2009, 08:21 AM
that sucks...

chicaboo
05-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Ring the Workplace Ombudsman and tell them about your situation. You will prolly find them next to useless, but you might get severance pay out of it or something...?

Gav.

Dogo
05-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Take the less hours as a second chance to be able to improve your skills and work your way back up to full operation again in the future. Maybe get yourself into some kind of training course to show that you're serious in reaching the level that they expect of you.

derb
05-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Take the less hours as a second chance to be able to improve your skills and work your way back up to full operation again in the future. Maybe get yourself into some kind of training course to show that you're serious in reaching the level that they expect of you.

if they've really been that un-communicative, i wouldn't stay there. management sound like clueless dicks who wont see you taking a course as initiative.

Cosmo Dude
05-08-2009, 10:50 AM
That sux, although not ideal I'd opt for the shorter hours in the short term as it'd give you an income and time to look for another job. Being employed and looking is better than being unemployed.
Good luck getting back on track.

Dogo
05-08-2009, 10:52 AM
if they've really been that un-communicative, i wouldn't stay there. management sound like clueless dicks who wont see you taking a course as initiative.
True but getting an equivalent paid store manager job elsewhere isn't going to be easy with little experience and no reference.

Its not a great choice but its probably the best of the bad situation

asanga
05-08-2009, 12:43 PM
your employer should follow a procedure to let you know what it is you are doing wrong, what you should do to rectify the situation and when they will review your performance again.

I think you have a strong case for Unfair Dismissal here! in dealing with a case the commission will take into account:

• whether a reason for the dismissal was given (in your case NO);
• whether the applicant was given an opportunity to give an explanation or to justify his or her reinstatement or re-employment (in your case NO);
• whether a warning of unsatisfactory performance was given (in your case NO).

Since you have a family to feed and this is not the best time to find employment, I think its best to stay there even with less pay and hours. You can look for a job at a better place while working there.

Ky_88
05-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Ghoru, I work in recruitment if they've known about it for 4 weeks and didn't tell you until today (because by the sounds of it you had no idea you were going to be sacked) that is classed as an unfair dismissal. They cannot sack you without notice, regardless of whether you are going to remain there on less hours or not. Speak with a Union Rep and see what they think - you'll probably find you have a right.

So I think you should do two things - stay there at the less hours AND start looking elsewhere for a job.

If you like, you are more than welcome to call my work (even though I'm in Newcastle) and I can give you advice and refer you to my Brisbane office or whoever is closer, whether it be Gladstone or Townsville.

I would be more than happy to help you out because I hear of these cases too much in NSW and I would hate for you to end up with nothing.

The point is they should have told you what you were doing wrong so you could try and amend it and if you couldn't, then fair enough with the dismissal. However, they didn't which leaves you no choice but to accept the lower job and hours. Depending on the choice you make (whether you talk to a Union Rep or not) you need to understand you may end up with no job if it all goes sour, so be careful.

If you would like information with jobs etc, PM me.

All the best Ghoru... I think you have a big choice to make, but I'm sure you'll choose the right option, but be careful about what you say.

so fresh
05-08-2009, 10:44 PM
unfair dismissil is the case and the fact that the problem happened 4 weeks ago is just bull on the fact she new about it and didnt inform you as being the boss she should have done so for the efficiancy of your company performing to the standards that is required "thats not on!" see da union or sumfing if your in one your'll find that your with in your right's .
they have to give you a warning at least