PDA

View Full Version : Toe in, toe out - BA

kash
02-09-2009, 01:34 AM
Hey guys/girls I will be getting my front coilovers camber re-done on Friday. From research mainly from club323f (great guys!) i think ive found the ideal camber for the front of my car (Mazda 323F BA) which is -1.5, so ill be setting the front to that, rear to -1.8 to try and stop the oversteer abit :D. But the 'toe' side of things generally confuses me, i know the car came from factory with neutral camber and toe, like i said ive got the camber in my mind....Should i just get the toe set to neutral?

From what ive read on the net, toe out = faster turn in - but more inside tyre wear, toe in = if pushing hard results in understeer but less inside tyre wear.

What do you guys think? Any advice appreciated :D

Kash

mike_d87
02-09-2009, 04:35 PM
I think you're getting toe confused with camber. Excessive toe in/out will cause the whole tyre to wear faster, where negative camber will wear the inside and positive camber will wear the outside.

The workshop manual says it should be 2 +/- 4mm front and back but I set mine to 0mm front and back, this way all wheels are pointing straight ahead and there is less resistance to forward motion. If there is too much difference front to back then the car will dog track or crab walk and the steering wheel won't be centred.

Rupewrecht
02-09-2009, 04:51 PM
I run a little toe in front and and i think on the rear too, but i'd have to dig out the specs.

Pretty high camber you're running there though.

Cosmo Dude
02-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Start with some extra caster on the front first. I've done -1.5deg camber on the front and whilst the steering and grip on the front was magic I did notice extra tyre wear on the inside.
If I'd played with the settings a little I could've built a repore with my local tyre shop and found the right setting for me without wearing out a set of tyres.
BTW I've never had an oversteer issue with a BA with factory settings.

project.r.racing
02-09-2009, 06:45 PM
front -1.0d camber, -0.5mm toe
rear -0.5d camber, 0.0mm toe

street/track use

maztech
02-09-2009, 07:16 PM
agreed ........... wasnt this already discussed in the camber thread