PDA

View Full Version : Bumpy ride on lowered springs

nezha
10-12-2003, 01:51 PM
Hi guys

Am rather new to cars but am the proud owner of a 323F. I lowered my suspension a month ago by about 2 inches, with Merwede lowering springs, and 6 month old Monroe Reflex shocks (Adam's post mentioned that they were ride height independant).

After installing I found that the ride on very slight bumps is ok, but on bigger bumps, it feels almost like there are no springs ie when compressed there doesn't seem to be any space to be damped, and it feels like the shocks hit the top and can't spring around any more. When the car is loaded with passengers, its even worse, feels like there's no dampening at all on the highways bounces around horribly.

Things were okay with my original springs and the same Monroes. The shop which installed the Merwedes recommended that I install Konis to match. Do you guys think this will solve the problem coz maybe the Monroe's don't work with the lower ride height? Or is it a problem with lousy springs? I don't want to spend another bunch on the Konis if the problem will still be there.

Thanks guys!

Dogo
10-12-2003, 02:28 PM
without being able to feel the bumps myself its kinda hard to judge whether theres a problem or whether its just that this is what a lowered car feels like. you certainly can expect a lowered car to feel much the bumps harder than stock height.
Put 18" rims on it and it becomes even worse :wink:

i dont know much about Merwedes springs though ... are they progressive springs ? Maybe have your bumpstops checked to see that they havnt moved during the install of the springs. Otherwise the new, firmer shocks may be the only solution.

Choclove23
10-12-2003, 04:40 PM
I'm not quite sure what your problem is: Is it that your springs don't compress or your damper?

If its your springs then get another set. Are your springs progressive? If not then get some, you can't lower a car and not use progressive springs.

Now for the shocks.. Your shocks don't spring around, your springs (funilly enough) do that.
If your car is crashing through bumps than you probably don't have enough suspension travel left and your shocks are sitting on the bump stops. You'll have to cut them or get shorter shocks..ie Konis (I think they're shorter).

Another problem could be that the springs are too stiff, which dramatically stiffens the ride. They could also be too soft and they are fully contracting under load, which would happen if they have a linear rate.

Remember, the shocks work not when the springs contract (when going over a bump), but after the bump when the springs are opening up again. The thing is that you have to match the rate of the springs with the rate of the shocks (given in lbs/inch). If they aren't matched then you could have either problem.

How does the car go around corners? What about bumpy corners, does the front skip?

nezha
10-12-2003, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.

I think that Choclove's right, the problem is that there's no suspension travel left in the shocks and they're at the end. The springs compress ok, but crashes very hard through bumps, worse if the car is loaded coz there's probably almost no travel left. Car goes fine around corners.

A friend told me that with Konis you can adjust the height, whereas with my Monroe Reflex's I think I'll just have to cut them.

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I tell if the springs are too soft/linear or progressive? All I remember on the box that it said 'Merwede lowering springs'. I'll try look for the box though, but since my shocks and springs aren't adjustable, may have to live without matching the spring rate. :?

thanks!

Choclove23
10-12-2003, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.

I think that Choclove's right, the problem is that there's no suspension travel left in the shocks and they're at the end. The springs compress ok, but crashes very hard through bumps, worse if the car is loaded coz there's probably almost no travel left. Car goes fine around corners.

A friend told me that with Konis you can adjust the height, whereas with my Monroe Reflex's I think I'll just have to cut them.

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I tell if the springs are too soft/linear or progressive? All I remember on the box that it said 'Merwede lowering springs'. I'll try look for the box though, but since my shocks and springs aren't adjustable, may have to live without matching the spring rate. :?
thanks!

Not all Konis are height adjustable. I don't think the ones for the 323 are, maybe I'm wrong but check anyway:
http://www.koni.com/_cars/_special/afram.html

They will be damper adjustable, for the rebound stroke, but not height. For that you'll need coilovers.

For progressive springs, check the look of the coils. If the top coils are closer together than the other end then they are progressive. This allows the closer spaced springs to absorb small bumps without hurting your kidneys, while the larger spaced springs have a higher rate and 'soak' up the bigger bumps.

Rupewrecht
11-12-2003, 11:56 AM
no, the Koni Sports arent height adjustable (i wish!)

have your bumpstops been shortened at all? if not, you should get them shortenedas that will give you an inch or so more travel. as long as you leave them at least 20mm thick, you'll be fine