PDA

View Full Version : Naughty commenced soon - can't wait!

NaughtyGT
08-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Am gathering parts @ moment before I rip into the naughty again. Decided to keep it for now so, DR Frankenstein, eat your heart out :p

Will pop some pics up later tonight as re-cap of before & now stages

Constructive discussion welcome although I want to keep it tight for others to benefit from it

Though I will be putting up pics of progress (meaningfull ones only), will do a kind of before/after thing with images @ the end.

NaughtyGT
13-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Will be picking up an engine stand so i can begin work on the JDM B6T. The engine is the first phase of the project. If I get 120wkw out of it with just bolt-ons, using the stock ECU I'll be more than happy.

Tossing up whether to use the Chrome Moly F/Wheel as the stock one needs re-surfacing if I use it. Clutch is shagged so I will be using the 5 Spoke Button Clutch I originally had on naughty. Still can't believe the way these clutch plates bite into the pressure plates. Amazing. You definately have to respect them if you want your box to last lol.

Water pump pulley is bent & pump pretty seazed so I will be replacing those with ones off the GTX. They were only 50k old anyway.

I've flushed the hybrid scooby turbo thoroughly with WD40 to remove any foreign material & get right into the seals. It is now wrapped in Glad Wrap ready to spin @ 100k :D

Cleaned the garage so I can work around the car :)

Sourced front end & suspension parts for up ahead :)

The IC fab will be a bit of a challenge but @ least I have SS & Alum piping off the GTX to work with. Just need to tidy up fittings etc.

Thanks Gav for the gear your sending me as it will help me decide which way to go & help piece together the hole turbo/manifold bit.

BFs' ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

chicaboo
13-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Well, if you don't use the chromoly flywheel, I think I could make it work with the purchase of a new clutch on my KE. :D

Hmmm, did you ever have left over Boxy plenum brackets? I so want these. :(
Gav.

NaughtyGT
13-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Well, if you don't use the chromoly flywheel, I think I could make it work with the purchase of a new clutch on my KE. :D

didn't think you wanted it Gav?

Hmmm, did you ever have left over Boxy plenum brackets? I so want these. :(
Gav.

I do but I though you said you had some? If not, I'll keep them for you! Let me know before I send your other gear off

Can't wait till I cast my eyes on the gear your sending Gav :)

chicaboo
13-12-2009, 08:35 PM
didn't think you wanted it Gav?
Well, I don't think the clutch in the car will handle the power it's going to be making. So, a new clutch is in order, and given that, a flywheel upgrade might be worthwhile too. I just don't know which clutch goes with this flywheel. Was it 220/230mm surface area?

I do but I though you said you had some? If not, I'll keep them for you! Let me know before I send your other gear off
Nah, I've been busting to get my hands on these brackets for long time! :D

Can't wait till I cast my eyes on the gear your sending Gav :)
Oh, the flange adapter will need a coat of paint to look choice. My one is brushed, so I didn't bother painting or coating it. I really wish they didn't brush it up, cause if they left it plain I would've been happy to get it HPC coated black with all the other intake stuff...

Gav.

NaughtyGT
13-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Gav, the fly is identicle to the stock B6T one. I think 225mm if I remember? CorkSport stated that it is actually designed for the 1.8L BP's but all you have to do to fit it to the B6T is use a B6T clutch!

I know noone likes the spoke clutches but, they won't slip with the extra stresses placed on them by the higher-end torque your engine will produce! They are a piece a piss to get used to & will not wreck your box IF you respect them. You aren't going to drop the clutch @ 3500 are you? So, get the brass button Gav. You'll have a smile from ear to ear. They are a bitch to get used to as they tend to grab & shake the drive shafts but,....little practice, all's cool!

Let me know before I send your gear out. I will add the boxy brackets ;)

I'm actually getting the brass button pressure plate re-surfaced here in VIC Jesse (Jesiotrot) has put me onto a shop :) & will be using the old clutch plate. $600 kit Gav so,........will be re-using it. Still has heaps of meat left on it.

edit: may not bother with the pressure plate being re-surfaced. Proly won't seperate anyway. Apparently, it doesn't matter about the wear. That's normal.

NaughtyGT
14-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Fly is comin' your way Gav...........can't wait to find out how it works on the Laser Beasty! If you port the head, it'll be mickey mouse Gav! you should notice some quick accel! :cool:

I'll get the stock fly machined up nice for mine & perhaps lightened & balanced? It'll do job I want nicely ;)

chicaboo
14-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I will get the new head port matched to my intake runners before putting it on the car. After the exhaust is fitted, I can go get my new cams/gears fitted and dialed in. :) At this point, the clutch should be slipping like a dog on wet vinyl! :D

Gav.

NaughtyGT
14-12-2009, 12:21 PM
trust me Gav, it will. Unless you go for a really heavy pressure plate & tuff as clutch material! This is why I endorse the dreaded spokey :) like women......friggin' touchy critters before they get started but, when there driven hard, grip like hell :D........oops! sorry :o I'll go to the sin-bin now.........:(:):(:):(

incidently, that barrel IC I have is mighty heavy

Mad Mat
14-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Naughty i can't wait to see this this running. i've see gavs and helped him a couple of time with her. but ur machine will be one of a kind. good luck with her :D

Gav still need a hand. i'm always free 4 u man. :D

NaughtyGT
14-12-2009, 12:45 PM
^^ thanks Mat, I just needed time out to kinda re-focus. A few stages to go through till it's running. I want it potent but reliable as a daily driver as well. My head hurts already lol

NaughtyGT
15-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Will be heading over to a guys house this Sat after work to pilfer all the harness gear I need to replace. ECU, Map Sensor & assorted interior stuff I gave to GTX buyer. Because the GTX had EMS, there was really bugger all stock harness gear left in it. Also need to rattle off strut bolts to change the 4WD spring housings with my 2WD ones. There not interchangeable unfortunately.

Will be picking up an Engine Hoist as well as the stand Friday or Sat as well. Just toey to start with the engine freshen up. Can't stand the engine sitting on it's side on the pallet any longer nor the ugly rusty flywheel. Already thrown the silly clutch kit to foreverland lol

chicaboo
15-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Nab me a spare fuel rail/reg while you're there please! :)

NaughtyGT
15-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Gav, if you refer to the Boxy rail, I have one. Aus one I don't s, let me know & I'll grab it for you

chicaboo
15-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Gav, if you refer to the Boxy rail, I have one. Aus one I don't s, let me know & I'll grab it for you
Oh, I need a rail for the boxy. I was silly and sold my boxy rail and reg. :(

NaughtyGT
15-12-2009, 07:09 PM
ditched the A/Con. 5 kilos lighter? what's that......0.008 kw of power extra? yeehoo lol

seriously. It had to go to make way for the BP dump pipe I'm going to try. May go for a custom one in the end. I gave the split dump I had away, bugger! Along with the 2 1/2" Cat........I'm too much of a bloody softy when it comes to helping others out with their projects. Not unlike Gav. They say it comes back around though & it does. A mate near me is lending me his engine hoist & giving me some parts (ones I gave away too) cause' I gave him parts really cheap.

I reckon that's what it's all about. Helping each other ;)

NaughtyGT
18-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Wow.....what a day! Travelled all over Melbourne today picking up gear including engine stand. I have the engine on the stand now ready for Monday when I can start ripping stuff off it :cool: Then soon after getting home, courier arrives with my Scooby flange from Gav...wooohoooo! Nice!

Here are a few pics of Naughty just about bare with engine on the stand waiting to be freshened up. Stage 1 of Phase 1 lol:

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/PICT0331.jpg

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/PICT0325.jpg

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/PICT0326.jpg

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/PICT0336.jpg

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/PICT0335.jpg

P.S. thanks Gav for the flange & pipe...very nice ;)

chicaboo
19-12-2009, 12:54 AM
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/PICT0335.jpg

P.S. thanks Gav for the flange & pipe...very nice ;)
It looks like it will come in handy, as the old Garret intake pipe won't fit anymore. If you can get your hands on the top flexi part of the stock saxophone, you can then cut your old intake pipe shorter and run it into that! :D And if you are running a stock JDM ECU, you will need a VAF, and that will also just fit to the flexi part of the saxophone, and then you just pod adpat to that if you like. Lot's of options.

If you can send me a pic showing how your wastegate actuator is seated, I will let you know if you are likely to run into troubles with that. If I see a problem, I will send you something to help sort you out. :)

Gav.

NaughtyGT
19-12-2009, 06:20 AM
I am picking up the ECU & VAF today after work. When I get it all together I'll give you a hoey. I was hoping to simply use reducer cone on the welded Aluminium saxaphone. Will have to see up ahead.

I'll check the actuator too when I get home but I think it sits between block & compressor? Off to work now (great)

chicaboo
19-12-2009, 10:55 AM
I don't have all the bits here, but I can somewhat put my upgraded saxophone together to show you how it works. :)

Gav.

NaughtyGT
19-12-2009, 04:45 PM
I don't have all the bits here, but I can somewhat put my upgraded saxophone together to show you how it works. :)

Gav.

that would be awesome Gav :) every lil' bit counts!

NaughtyGT
19-12-2009, 08:41 PM
bugger..............first snag. The VF10/20 hybrid actuator is hitting against the block. Also, not too keen on the smaller B6T exhaust manifold port where it meets the VJ20 turbine housing. I may have to remove it & port it out. 10mm of cast iron though. All way 'round :o

bugger bugger & bugger :(

chicaboo
19-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Get yourself a VJ14 actuator and I will sort you out Tim. In the mean time, swing by your local hose/fitting place and find some banjos to fit the VF10 coolant ports, and then work out if you want plain rubber hoses like I did, or go with fancy braided stuffage...

I can't bleev the guy didn't port it for you?!?!?! :eek: I think mine went from a 14mm to 21~23mm port. Oh, the VJ14 actuator is much stiff than a VF10 too [at least mine is], so it should hold more boost...

NaughtyGT
19-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Get yourself a VJ14 actuator and I will sort you out Tim. In the mean time, swing by your local hose/fitting place and find some banjos to fit the VF10 coolant ports, and then work out if you want plain rubber hoses like I did, or go with fancy braided stuffage...

I can't bleev the guy didn't port it for you?!?!?! :eek: I think mine went from a 14mm to 21~23mm port. Oh, the VJ14 actuator is much stiff than a VF10 too [at least mine is], so it should hold more boost...

Gav it was ported to 23 from memory but the plunger cylinder is hitting the block. He said this may have to be changed? not savvy with these ones :(

chicaboo
19-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Oh ok, that's about as big as you can go anyhow. I couldn't for the life of me get the VF10 actuator to work for me, so you will have to experiment by bending the arm and mock fitting it if you want to use it. However, if you can get a VJ14/20 actuator, you know that you can get some help. ;)

NaughtyGT
19-12-2009, 09:22 PM
cool cuz, I'l check it out a bit more on Monday & will know more of where I'm @ then.

NaughtyGT
20-12-2009, 08:49 PM
I'l have to take the wastegate off & drill it & then move it forward so it misses the block.....damn. Why didn't the bloke do this. Can't believe it

chicaboo
20-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Yeah Tim, rotate it around as much as humanly possible without the piston binding. You will need to bend the piston by using a couple of ring spanners, but if you are the first to bend it, you should be fine. Oh, take a note of what you've done to make it fit, I might send you mine to see if you can bend it the same. :p

Gav.

NaughtyGT
20-12-2009, 09:04 PM
that'd be choice Gav. Someone had a go @ it (actuator end) with the grimpers already. I just don't have a VJ20 piston to compare it to so, I don't know what he has used/kept? Just an annoying hold up to have to muck around with it now as I want to line it up with ext mani & get going with more important things :o

NaughtyGT
21-12-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm going to elongate the 15r flange bolt holes & try & fit the turbo without friggin with the wastegate @ this stage. Two ext manifold bolts however, are freezed o the manifold, making it hard to line turbo up :o

NaughtyGT
05-01-2010, 07:16 AM
this mounting the 15r housing to stock B6T ext manifold & adjusting wastegait position has severe whiskers on it :mad: what a heap of trouble for what? :( I think I'll walk away from this a-hole project for a bit before I fire up the flame-thrower :D

I really hope the scooby turbo is worth all this crap :rolleyes: In hindsight, I would have preferred to use the 12r turbine housing instead! :cool:

It is looking as though I have to go deeper into the 02 expulsion rate than I was first willing to :o It seems I'm just pissing in the wind @ moment. I am about as motivated atm as a broading hen would be getting off her eggs (off her ass :p) she just proudly laid

Until I sort this faggot manifold out, I can't envision the exhaust set up one bit. I've also been waiting EVER SO p-a-t-i-e-n-t-l-y for my BPT dump pipe to turn up (only paid for it 4 weeks ago :mad:) This hasn't helped fuel the enthusiasm :(

To top things off, the MX5 is crap in the wet @ moment :( Tyres aren't that bad either? I know the roads can be slippery when just rained (oil on the surface) but, it has razzled me I tell you. I reckon the FWD was safer :(

That's my early-mornin' rant over...........have a goody everyone! :)

chicaboo
05-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Hey Tim,

This is the how-to from FL about the 15R housing mod. http://www.fordlaser.com/viewtopic.php?t=47741

I think it helps if you slot out a ring spanner to do this. I just used a 0-deg ring spanner and shortened the sutds on mine.

Any word back from Zaven about the wastegate position? Oh, and I fully appreciate your lack of enthusiasm to get started too. :p

Good luck,
Gav.

NaughtyGT
05-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks Gav :) No, I havn't heard from anyone lately. Not Zaven either :(

Thanks for link I'll check it out now.

NaughtyGT
12-01-2010, 04:33 PM
managed to source a VJ20 actuator yeah :D coming from Zaven

still waiting on the BPT dump & also chasing a BPT down pipe now so I can use the 3 bolt flange to hook it up dump & then to 2 1/2" cat & the exhaust will be 95% together

This will allow me to move along quite a bit with engine/turbo/exhaust set up :) Until then, just pissin' in the wind really. It's crap when you can't get past first base :o

still my biggest concern is that engine will be too free with not enough back-pressure for low-rev acceleration. Good mid & top but low-end......dunno so much :( especially with quite a beefy IC with thick piping. I may be able to choke it off there? This may be my only choice due to 2 1/2" system? Especially too if I want to keep Naughty's character reasonably intact & not turn it into some freak high-end job like the GTX was

-dc-
12-01-2010, 05:49 PM
hey mate, i have a dump and the down pipe although it was slightly shortened to fit my BA

NaughtyGT
12-01-2010, 06:50 PM
hey mate, i have a dump and the down pipe although it was slightly shortened to fit my BA

hey ya buddy. Slightly shortened won't be the end of the world as I ave to customise fitment to exhaust system up ahead anyway. I have paid for a dump from an FL member but have waited 5 weeks for it so far :( a little pissed @ moment as you could appreciate I'm sure. It's holding me up severely.

Anyway, all ears! Even though I (supposedly) will be receiving the dump pipe by post soon :rolleyes:, how much are you looking for them both? I guess I could re-sell one of them @ a later date. Again, not the end of the world so to speak.

Thanks for offer ;)

chicaboo
12-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Make sure Zaven tweaks your VJ20 actuator to clear the block. :)

Gav.

PS: I have some pics coming in the next few days to help motivate you. ;)

NaughtyGT
12-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Make sure Zaven tweaks your VJ20 actuator to clear the block. :)

Gav.

PS: I have some pics coming in the next few days to help motivate you. ;)

thanks Gav. I'll have to ask him to do the tweeking then :)

chicaboo
12-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Also, if you have a heat-shield for the BPT dump, be sure to put it on before bolting up the exhaust manifold. :o

Gav.

-dc-
12-01-2010, 10:45 PM
hey ya buddy. Slightly shortened won't be the end of the world as I ave to customise fitment to exhaust system up ahead anyway. I have paid for a dump from an FL member but have waited 5 weeks for it so far :( a little pissed @ moment as you could appreciate I'm sure. It's holding me up severely.

Anyway, all ears! Even though I (supposedly) will be receiving the dump pipe by post soon :rolleyes:, how much are you looking for them both? I guess I could re-sell one of them @ a later date. Again, not the end of the world so to speak.

Thanks for offer ;)

just about to pm u about this

chicaboo
14-01-2010, 12:21 PM
OK, I don't like this silly euro car talk with LPG that's been going around... :mad:
It's time to inspire you, behold my incomplete sneak preview of the mighty TX3! :D

Designing the IC plumbing:
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/138/p040809162401.jpg
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6026/p0408091625.jpg

Custom VF10 adapter flange, kindly laser cut by MitchTeg:
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/5858/p0408091626.jpg

Which goes onto this [TIGHT FIT!]:
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7606/p271008154302.jpg

A slight set-back!:
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/2470/p1909092219.jpg

HPC coated valve and manifold covers, and IC plumbing:
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3179/p1401101055.jpg

What a shame I left that rag there. ;) More to come very soon. :)
Gav.

NaughtyGT
15-01-2010, 12:16 AM
where's the Boxy :eek::eek:

chicaboo
15-01-2010, 12:35 AM
Waiting for a fuel rail. :p

PS: I am so pleased that my radiator overflow bottle is now translucent again. :D

NaughtyGT
15-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Gav, I was waiting your reply about regulator? Do you still need one? I may be able to source it. The GTX had a RRFR so, I havn't got one.

chicaboo
15-01-2010, 09:08 AM
It's likely I will need an aftermarket FPR by the time that goes on the car , so it's no problem. :)

NaughtyGT
15-01-2010, 09:20 AM
will be on it's way this morn then cuz!

chicaboo
15-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Awesome! :D

Hopefully I will have some more pics today to help further inspire you. :p
I've run into a few small traps along the way putting it all back together.
But it's not drastic stuff, mainly just things needing a slight tweak to fit. ;)

Gav.

NaughtyGT
15-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Well.
a) VJ20 actuator is already on it's way
b) BPT dump will be on it's way today
c) BPT down pipe will also be on it's way today

In short, will have probably 2 of both & actuator mid next week :)

Incidently, the LPG induction system I know you aren't supportive of, was a no expense spared mod. 3L injecion (just confirming) absolute mongrel machine. Just very interesting to read into it being done properly. No expense spared ;)

More pics of the illusive Ford with the hairdryer pls Gav! No stealth stuff accepted :p

chicaboo
15-01-2010, 10:04 AM
More pics of the illusive Ford with the hairdryer pls Gav! No stealth stuff accepted :p
OK, I'll take the rag away for today's shots. :p

NaughtyGT
14-02-2010, 08:58 PM
MX5's sold (deposit today, rest next week) so.............Naughty's going back on road sooner than expected! I have to move my crack now & get the turbo/manifold/exhaust sorted then front end & wiring back.

My only issue now is if the IC will be too big for low-end performance? I have to consider I have all the expensive SS & Alum' IC piping from the GTX already. I have the BPT dump & down & new 2 1/2" system done prior if some remember.

I am going to be a busy boy for next few months with the 2 beasts :eek:

NaughtyGT
18-02-2010, 07:43 AM
MX5 was picked up Tuesday so we are dow to driving the PT Croooooza between nthe both of us for a while (yippee). It was something I had to do so I can finance/warrent getting Naughty off his ass & onto the bitumen again for some :D

My biggest concern engine wise is the water pump & head galleries been sitting for a long time now. Pump feels a bit tight/notchy to turn. May be alright though. Also, I need to get i contact with guy who has the ECU & assoc' gear I need as well as GTa-E bumper. I've lost contact for now :o

Anwa, Naughty is on standby until I get the Merc done as, believe it or not, the Merc has less to do than the 323 besides fact I need to keep the Merc moving to the Gas workshop as there is heaps to get organised. Plan is though to work on the 323 whilst shop works on the Merc. So there is some light @ the end of the Naughty tunnel after all :)

Oh yeah, I am contemplating putting the satin black mags I had on the MX5 on Naughty. I kept them & sold MX5 with the multi-spokes it came with. Buyer preferred them anyway. I also have a complete set of 5 orig' 14" mags of nthe Ghia & I think the GTX? Not to mention the chrome 16's Naughty had on it when it was breathing so, plenty of options & spares forever :D

NaughtyGT
22-02-2010, 07:02 AM
hoping to get flywheel over to machine shop for resurface today. If not, tomorrow. Then I can get engine off stand & fit up box ready for it's install. Into bay @ least. All depends on how Merc install goes (time left today as I have to get parts to service the Cruiser as well bugger it) :( Clutch pedal dived to floor yesterday morn. Fluid needs replacing :D & I have to change plugs & leads sometime this week. Also, need to pick up few important engine bay parts hopefully for Naughty this week like ECU; knock sensor; Front GTa-e bar (if bloke still has it as promised :o); few other bits that I gave to buyer of the GTX

NaughtyGT
11-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Well. Bit of important stuff out of the way. Flywheel machined. BPT Turbo ext' housing drilled out to fit B6T ext' manifold. Also, got surfaces skimmed. Dump pipe resurfaced also. Down pipe resurfaced.

Sent turbo & B6T ext' manifold off to Zaven (Fosgate) to have him sort the actuator position as I screwed it up. I had to pull compressor housing & exhaust housing off to spin them around to suit oil feed line & point compressor snout upwards but not confident with the actuator shaft working effectively? Zaven's going to have a crack @ porting out the ext' manifold housing so it lets out a larger capacity of ext' gases to the BPT VJ20 housing. Fiddly bits that really make a difference top end & in the end scheme of things.

Biggest surprise is that I am in the process of purchasing an MT8 Stand Alone EMS & BPT Harness & Dizzy off Zaven so I can fit the J-Spec Engine into Naughty & avoid now obvious problems with installation such as incompatible looms, injectors, TPS you name it. This will allow me to utilise the fancy Intercooler piping I kept from the GTX & avoid needing the AFM & AU ECU & associated parts.

I'm going for a beer.........

chicaboo
11-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Giggle, have 3 for me! :D

NaughtyGT
12-03-2010, 07:47 AM
a naughty update: :p

Well. Firstly. Scored Mum's car for a while (93' MX6 auto) :D Been in the family for over 10 years now I think. Coming down from GC where it's been stored for last 12 months in friends shed & just started regularly. Well maintained but needs few minor bits fixed & TLC with body & interior. Perfect timing as both my cars are off the road & I need to get back to working more hours so, time constraint is a big issue for next few months :( Stress? Ah....yep! :o

On the down side: (bugger) mate from fl.com never got the car he was looking @ with the 'promised' Gta-e bumper so, dipped out on that :( But, he has an original GT/SS bumper for me so all is not lost. He's away however til' end of May.

The fitting of the hybrid turbo to the B6T block has really wasted some time & money. Using the VJ20 housing on the B6T exhaust manifold, whilst it will result in better top-end performance, has really used up time I had allowed to work on car over last week :( Water lines, actuator shaft.....urhggggggg

On the up-side, as previously mentioned, if I do run stand-alone EMS I have the huge IC which was looking to be too large capacity for the mild mods I was doing to B6T. Was a real worry for me. So, although we get farked around, @ times something comes up that benefits in the end :cool:

Talk about a simple project turnng into a bigger one down the track.....since I am now doing this.....guess I may as well do that as well....etc....etc....:rolleyes:

Options: Now that I am looking @ running EMS on Naughty. I could easily go bigger turbo & injectors. Not alot more $$$ but, I'm not looking so much to get better top-end out of the 323. I am about getting 'better' performance from the B6T. Period. Too much top-end focus will take away the B6T's character. As anyone who has owned a B6T I'm sure will testify they are quick (nippy) little cars with great character & reliability in 'stock' form. Quite advanced for their day & still remain respected. Good acceleration down low & tight power-ban from about 2500rpm? But they tend to run out of puff if you boost too high. I found therefore, nowdays their a little outta their league with more powerful 2.0L turbo Jap Imports readily available @ an affordable price. Dodgy alot of them but still, can't deny the performance.

So, it's over to Zaven to fix my turbo woes & I'm off to sort the IC fitment into Naughty's engine bay. Mainly cut/modify the radiator support bar & bonnet latch assembly issues that the GTX had. May fit brake calipers & shocks/springs over the weekend & perhaps fit the Amp & rewire the sound system I butchered to put in MX5 I had :rolleyes: if time permits & I can motivate myself. Bit burnt out @ present so, having the weekend off to clear my head abit & clean the garage up & hopefully tidy yard. Maybe go to dump hehe.....:o

Mad Mat
12-03-2010, 11:03 AM
GET SCOTT BATMAN. thats a plan and a half.....

WHA THE DUMP?????????? you mean ur bring some of that stuff to my place right ;) :p

will tim if ur lookin 4 more power u have lots of choices. yes bigger injectors, and tubo will be good. and that FMIC will be CHOICE but i will need to think about ur gearbox too. whats the limitations of it????? as i have found out i have to spend a good 2.5k on mine to make it stronge enought to handle the power. i'm thinkin a full 626 gearset will be in order mate. :D

chicaboo
12-03-2010, 11:06 AM
I've got a full 626 gearset with PAR 3rd gear in the spare box. The problem is, the diff is also a 626 unit, so the gearing will be V E R Y tall on the HWY. :eek:

NaughtyGT
13-03-2010, 07:00 AM
GET SCOTT BATMAN. thats a plan and a half.....

WHA THE DUMP?????????? you mean ur bring some of that stuff to my place right ;) :p

will tim if ur lookin 4 more power u have lots of choices. yes bigger injectors, and tubo will be good. and that FMIC will be CHOICE but i will need to think about ur gearbox too. whats the limitations of it????? as i have found out i have to spend a good 2.5k on mine to make it stronge enought to handle the power. i'm thinkin a full 626 gearset will be in order mate. :D

haha, no Mat, just dumping stuff from around the house & bit a useless stuff in garage. Looks like a scene rom Mad Max 3 @ moment :p

The gearbox. Well I won't be tramping it but 3rd gear worries me. I may not go too nuts with power :rolleyes::rolleyes:......no serious :rolleyes: :p

I also have the very real problem of limited funds to use on the 323 due to the soon-to-be-fund-leaching Red Baron :(

Btw Gav, the compressor snout has to point down & forward to suit the GTX IC piping I want to use. See pic below. Not good but if you follow the path from GT28 comp' housing down left to the IC bottom pipe, you'll see what I mean. Look @ the serial block on comp' housing & you'll see the snout follows down & forward

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/PICT0253-1.jpg

NaughtyGT
14-03-2010, 07:13 AM
coupla pics of the IC install completed & VF10/VJ20 Hybrid puled apart:

Custom fit or what? :eek:

-----------------------------------------------

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/PICT0462.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

was careful not to cut the side plate weld :cool:

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/PICT0463.jpg

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/PICT0455.jpg

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/PICT0456.jpg

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/PICT0460.jpg

NaughtyGT
15-03-2010, 06:04 AM
Well, all's going well with organising the MT8; BPT loom; BPT dizzy & injectors from Fosgate. Will be sending him pics of the GT's cabin loom so he can make up plug/play plug to suit car's loom.
Guess the best thing about using the EMS will be tuning. No detonation to be too concerned about if I run higher boost.

Slow pregress but, end result will be well worth it. Few more $$$ than anticipated but, that's what projects tend to do. Things happen. Things come up. Ideas sway to & fro. All good! :cool:

Also, the Nissan SR20 TB I kept from the GTX has had the matching Boxy Plenum ported to suit the 60mm? diameter TB intake port. So, I will have to swap Plenum's to use it. Wonder if it is worth using? Throttle cable is on opposite side of TB. If I use it, I can also utilise the GTX silicon TB hose joiner. So, may be a good option in disguise ;)

Also, decided to sandback the severely gay exterior purple (car is 2 tone factory colour scheme) & spray coat of satin black. I'll do this also to front bar when I get it. Tone goes right around car from front to back bars. I can't do alot about it otherwise as it is was resprayed the 2 tone. At least the black will mach the MX5 satin rims I will be using :cool:

NaughtyGT
28-03-2010, 08:59 PM
can't believe this used to be Naughty :eek: seems so long ago :o

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/PICT0112.jpg

NaughtyGT
30-03-2010, 05:24 AM
Bugger :mad: I went to fit the lowered springs & struts on yesterday while I'm waiting for the turbo/manifold etc to turn up. They're for the GTX aren't they :eek: I've kept them for nothing all these months. Now I have to purchase front & rear sets of both as well as locate a pair of rear strut mounts :o

wonderful.....oh well, time to lower it :rolleyes: But it will have to wait it's turn for this

chicaboo
30-03-2010, 11:03 AM
If you're prepared to spend the money, I know someone who reckons the BC, etc 4WD coilovers will fit. Otherwise I do have as-new Dobisport lowering springs for the 2WD, but they are very sporty [you've been warned :p]. For shocks, there are KB/BD shocks for cheap on eBay, which I think they fit the KC/KE/BF too?

Gav.

-dc-
30-03-2010, 03:05 PM
hey mate, I dunno if this is any help to you or not, this guys is wrecking a BF Click here! (http://www.fordlaser.com/viewtopic.php?t=77662)
i thought it may of been some help coz I noticed he mentions suspension parts etc etc

NaughtyGT
30-03-2010, 03:28 PM
hey mate, I dunno if this is any help to you or not, this guys is wrecking a BF Click here! (http://www.fordlaser.com/viewtopic.php?t=77662)
i thought it may of been some help coz I noticed he mentions suspension parts etc etc

thanks dc, I saw this thread yesterday although I'm just deciding whether to go for newies. Also I think someone was after them already. Will give him a PM though. Thanks mate :cool:

NaughtyGT
30-03-2010, 03:30 PM
If you're prepared to spend the money, I know someone who reckons the BC, etc 4WD coilovers will fit. Otherwise I do have as-new Dobisport lowering springs for the 2WD, but they are very sporty [you've been warned :p]. For shocks, there are KB/BD shocks for cheap on eBay, which I think they fit the KC/KE/BF too?

Gav.

how low are the Dobisport Gav? The shocks I didn't know they fitted. I'd need to be sure. Will investigate m8 ;)

chicaboo
30-03-2010, 03:35 PM
The gap between the tyre and wheel arch is 2 fingers. :p
But they might drop a bit more after some driving on them?

NaughtyGT
30-03-2010, 07:43 PM
The gap between the tyre and wheel arch is 2 fingers. :p
But they might drop a bit more after some driving on them?

that's better than the Merc though. There's no gap :D I can only source front springs & struts @ moment as others are slack in replying. PM me if you want Gav or just spill it here. Have you front & Rear sets?

chicaboo
30-03-2010, 07:53 PM
I have KE TX3 front seats, but they look every bit of their age. If you want awesome front seats, you can grab a pair of Autotechnica for $299 at Repco [they come up every 3 months this way]. But you will need a modification to your seat rails to fit them.

Springs are still on the car, so I will have to put my stockos back in before being able to send them to you. Let me know how you go with shocks. Did you check eBay for the KB/BD shocks? I know the springs are the same, but not certain about shocks. :p

NaughtyGT
30-03-2010, 08:37 PM
will check em out good buddy

NaughtyGT
27-04-2010, 11:41 AM
yeeeeeah! Picking up a full set of lowered (mildly) front/rear struts & springs for the 323 Couple of months old for $125 all up :eek: May not be fantastic but better than having to buy new sets right now with funds needed for the Merc :o

Besides, this way Naughty gets going a little sooner. So, yeehar! Not pressuring Zaven for the turbo/manifold parts as he's obviously busy & I have the MX6 as a drive car for however long I need it. All good! :)

NaughtyGT
22-05-2010, 07:15 PM
MT8, hybrid scooby, BPT loom, dizzy, injectors & modified ext' manifold all ready to be posted next week sometime :cool: Now all I need is time :o

Will do some cool pics as I go :)

Also Pedders with King Springs (35mm Lows) picked up yesterday after last deal fell through. These look even better.

So quick recap on performance mods so far

Low klm (50k) J Spec Engine
5 Puck Button Clutch
Machined flywheel
VF10/VJ20 Turbo with resurfaced housing
Modified exhaust Manifold (ported out housing)
BPT dump pipe with resurfaced housing
Custom BPT down pipe
Microtech MT8 standalone
BPT Looms; Dizzy & Injectors
2 1/2" down back to tip
35mm lowered suspension
2 1/4" Barrel FMIC with custom piping
Nolathane Bushes front & rear
31mm front swaybar
16" with 205/40's
Autotechnica 13" St Wheel; Gearshift handle & Hand Brake Handle
12" Sub with slimline box; 6x9's & front splits
otherwise......stock! :p

Hoping for 150wkw? Even 125 would be cool. Not fussed @ this stage

NaughtyGT
27-06-2010, 04:24 AM
Still awaiting the loom & associated gear.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............................waiting.....waiting.. ...waiting.....dying.....haha :p Nah. Zaven has to change one of the female plugs in modified BPT/B6T engine bay harness before he can box up all the gear & send it back to me. Apparently there are 2 different plugs with the BF's :eek: & may have something to do with the FWD as apposed to the 4WD models?

I'm biting @ the bit to get all the goodies so I can begin the transformation (neuro surgery :D) on the little B6T. Just inject some steroids into it's but & grow some muscles haha :p

I've decided to enjoy this project & as I don't have a great amount of free time anymore, (none really) plan is to chip away @ all the fiddly bits prior to wacking the engine & box back together. Thing is I can't do shat till I get the gear for engine :( Until I have the engine back in the bay. I can't re rout the IC piping & measure anything up for mods. Can't even lok @ how the dump pipe will join up to rest of exhaust system :o Very frustratingly gay!

The hybrid loom will be plug n play thanks to Zaven but how it sits in bay & where to put the MicroTech & the bits that it doesn't need anymore is just frightening to me just thinkin about it. Especially when I don't have a prototype & can't envision it in the car in any way, shape or form :confused:

I do remember the 4WD Bf & kept a few bay pics of it & the set up it had but it ran the RRFR & catch can etc so it doesn't help too much.

My only concern is if the little beasty loses it's quick pick up it had with the stock VJ14 etc? It was so responsive & nuts! Bigger balls may change it's character it had as a daily driver. As Gav warned me so long ago but it was so stripped bare & I needed so many stock parts to replace that I had given away from the engine bay. Along with the J-Spec loom being next to useless, that the BPT upgrade gear & loom started to appear & stand alone just happened to come up @ right time I guess.

All the machine work is complete. Housing flanges re-surfaced, flywheel re-surfaced, just need gaskets now & the gear then I can begin fitting up :cool:

NaughtyGT
07-09-2010, 08:05 AM
The gear (Custom engine & power looms; MT8 computer tuned for BPT; BPT Dizzy; BPT injectors; VF10/VJ20 actuator sorted) arrived yesterday yeehar!

Manifold wasn't ported so I might hit it with the angle grinder to try & open turbo flange up a little so the r15 housing matched it a bit better. The octagon shaped VJ20 port is way bigger than the round B6T VJ14 flange port. Not a good match :(

I just need the time now. This will be a slow but interesting project as I'm doing it all solo @ home unlike the Merc. Will be plenty of pics & stuff. Hopefully I'll start to do something in the next week provided I can get off the net from researching etc :o

chicaboo
07-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Just remember to stay at least 1.5mm in from the edge of the gate flap, and it will seal well. Spray some paint down to make your template before cutting sick. :) You can go too big on the porting, and this will result in boost creep from the pressure against the larger port surface area pushing the gate open. I think from memory the safe limit is 21-23mm. I'm not sure how you're going to do this with an angle grinder. :p

The 15R housing will work with the stock manifold, you just need to elongate the holes on the housing if it hasn't been done already. The next tricky bit is using a 0deg open ring spanner to get those nuts on the studs. It also helps to take to the studs with an angle grinder and get them just the right length first. Don't forget to use $#!Tloads of Loctite so they don't rattle loose.

The guides for both of those are on FL if you need some kind of reference.
Gav.

NaughtyGT
07-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Just remember to stay at least 1.5mm in from the edge of the gate flap, and it will seal well. Spray some paint down to make your template before cutting sick. :) You can go too big on the porting, and this will result in boost creep from the pressure against the larger port surface area pushing the gate open. I think from memory the safe limit is 21-23mm. I'm not sure how you're going to do this with an angle grinder. :p

Not the wastegate port Gav. The actual sorst manifold flange port right where the turbo sits on top :) The wastegate is already ported to 23mm.

The 15R housing will work with the stock manifold, you just need to elongate the holes on the housing if it hasn't been done already.

Already done Mystro :) This will make it hard to port the manifold out as holes are already elongated so there isn't alot of room left around the housing port :(

The next tricky bit is using a 0deg open ring spanner to get those nuts on the studs. It also helps to take to the studs with an angle grinder and get them just the right length first. Don't forget to use $#!Tloads of Loctite so they don't rattle loose.

They are bassads I know. Not fun @ all! Thanks for the reminder. :)

The guides for both of those are on FL if you need some kind of reference.
Gav.

Thanks for the heads up :)

NaughtyGT
09-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Will have a crack @ porting the exhaust manifold turbo flange today & put some pics up of what I achieve & kinda a before & after. It'll be rough but all I'm after is opening it up to match the 15r flange a little closer. Not after beauty with this little mite.

Here's a pic of the flange diameter differences. You can see where I'v elongated the bolt holes on the BPT turbo flange to suit the B6T manifold:

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/PICT0597.jpg

chicaboo
09-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Good luck elongating the bolt holes in the gasket! :eek:

NaughtyGT
09-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Good luck elongating the bolt holes in the gasket! :eek:

eiieeerrrrrrrr yeah. That'll be a trip :eek:......just another prob to overcome on the long, hairy ride to 323 glory Gav :p She'll put a few bigmouths in their place won't she :D Who cares. It's my lil' babe & I'm proud of her :)

NaughtyGT
09-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Bit of progress just to show what I'm about with the manifold flange:

Stock manifold again:

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/PICT0597.jpg

Begun porting out. Cleaned up using concave file - not great pics as camera is pretty dodgy:

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/NaughtylilGT/PICT0598.jpg

NaughtyGT
17-09-2010, 07:52 AM
sadly.........being sold now :(