PDA

View Full Version : Do 6x9's fit in the front doors?

John Doe
31-12-2003, 11:27 AM
As the subject title states, has anyone managed to shoe horn a set of 6x9 speakers into the front doors (which are 5x7) of a BA Astina hatch?

If so, what steps were involved (obviously, some kind of MDF baffle), were there trim and power window clearance issues?

I'm thinking of travelling this route as I want the interior to look as stock as possible and don't want any tweeters mounted in the door or on the A pillar to give the game away to thieves.

I'd imagine that with a set of 6x9's in the front (with the appropriate crossover points) and some good sound deadening, one would get some incredible midbass from the front of the car.

Dogo
31-12-2003, 12:22 PM
never tried. but i imagine its quite possible. Im not sure that you would be able to do it with the stock speaker grill still in place, but its certainly worth a try. if you leave the stock speaker grill on, it might be worth trying to keep the 6x9's grill on under the door trim to ensure that the door trim doesnt touch the speaker cone/surround and therefore wreck the sound.

give it a go ! i'd be interested to see the result ...

John Doe
31-12-2003, 12:31 PM
If it's possible to do without reinventing the wheel, I'm certainly going to give it a go!

I've never ever heard a good set of 6x9's set up properly in the front of a car before (including sound deadening, filling all service holes with MDF etc) and whilst you are interested in seeing the result, I'm more interested in hearing it! ;)

Now to find a top set of 6x9's that can handle 200rms .... (they are going to have an uphill battle to impress given that my previous set up included Dynaudio splits).

deon_attard
11-01-2004, 12:53 AM
If it's possible to do without reinventing the wheel, I'm certainly going to give it a go!

I've never ever heard a good set of 6x9's set up properly in the front of a car before (including sound deadening, filling all service holes with MDF etc) and whilst you are interested in seeing the result, I'm more interested in hearing it! ;)

Now to find a top set of 6x9's that can handle 200rms .... (they are going to have an uphill battle to impress given that my previous set up included Dynaudio splits).

I've got some Focal Utopia's for sale, we listened to the dynaudio's in the board and the Focals were better (and more expensive) - see the complete for sale post if interested.