PDA

View Full Version : Hello! I'm new and would like some help =)

FC1032
15-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Hello everyone!!

I'm new to the forums :) I just have a few questions about the 323.

Well at the moment, I'm on my L's :p I'll soon be getting my p's. My parents are thinking of buying me a second hand car. They've let me choose a car withinn the budget of $5000-ish... So i've narrowed down my targets to the 323 Astina BA hatch.

Problem is, I lack information/feedback of the car. I've got a PDF of the brochure and spec sheet but that doesn't help too much.

SO here are the things i would like help with.

1) I would like the 2.0L V6 version, considering there is are more safety options and a CD player (and nicer engine!) :p Would this be a good choice or should i just stay with the 1.8L?

2) I've noticed that there are two series; they are referred to as series 1 and series 3 on carsales.com.au (series 1 using the old rounded diamond emblem, and series 3 using the current emblem). What are the differences between the two??

3) This is a very insignificant question... I've read from the spec sheet and brochure that there are map reading lights... But i didn't see any on pics taken by online sellers (well not in the spot i expect them to be; above the mirrors). Do they exist?

4) HONESTLY, what's the car like?? What problems should i look for when buying?

Sorry if this has been a tedious read... :)

Thanks for any response in advance!

70NYD
16-01-2010, 12:00 AM
ok firstly 3
the map lights are above the heads of the pasanger and driver (next to the room light)
they are annoying when used, trust me, get a GPS :p
there are 3 series, 1,2,3
series 1 has a better gearbox (stronger g series gearbox, made for turbo engine) and the sphincotr badge, green interior.
series 2 has a same badge as 1, grey interior (ish) and a weaker F series box (cannot handle turbo)
series 3 has the new badge, but only for more recent series 3 as apparently the very 1st ones had the old badge. it has the weak gearbox, different headlights, black interior (altho not as cool, no closed pockets in the doors and the interior handle is lame) but it is black lol.

question 1
the v6 engine, while slightly more powerful is one of the weakest V6 K series engins made by mazda. there are also more powerful K series engines and they are in the mx3 and mx6 etc. it spends more petrol ofcourse, its more to insure, and if anything goes wrong there isnt much room to work on the engine, so labout can be more expensive
the 1.8L engine, while slightly weaker is cheaper on registration and on fuel, is the same engine found in the mx5s and the older modeled turbo 323s (stronger internals ofcourse). it is relatively easy to work on. it is very good for the cars weight and you will be pleased with it.
as for the cd player, you dont want the stock one anyway... u will upgrade it in which case there is no ponts to the v6. also i beleive some 1.8s came with the airbags as well (for driver only) and the second airbag compartmant when there is no bag in it is very handy storage. i prefer having no airbags, but thats jsut me (mainly cus if they go of ur car will be a writeoff)

car is awesome., they from standard drive and handle like a dream.
problems to look for is as follows (these are all for the 1.8 as i dont have a V6)
immedialty change the O-ring seal on the dizzi as well as the tappet cover gasket, as these 2 are the main sources of oil leaks on these cars.
if u ever take the front bumper off take the white box that sits under the airbox (its in the wheelarch and the airbox is conected to it) as this is a resonator box for the intake and apart from its inteded function, that it doesnt do well, removing it will give you beter breading. also change your filters, mainly fuel if you can cus its a B!TCH to get to and wont need changing for a long time.
as for the problems to look for when buying i dunno, most problems can be consealed temporaraly, so i cant realy help u.. but try to buy from a older person, it will be in better condition
ALSO check the front strut tops for cracks, as these are a commn problem as well.
pending on the age, if the shocks are standard you will need to change them sometime down the track. i suggest u save ur money, get good shocks and (if you want to) lowered springs in one go, to save time and money when you need replacing (i suggest lowering cus as beautifuly shaped these cars are, there is about 10cms between the wheel and wheel arch and it looks like a friggin fourby lol)
welcome to agt :)

FC1032
16-01-2010, 09:02 AM
@70NYD

WOW! Thanks for all the information!! This will certainly help me choose wisely :D

From the things are sounding... I think I'll be going with the 1.8L (V6 ones are so hard to find!!) series 1 or 2. Now that you've differentiated the series... The series 3 is the one that i considered the one with yuk interior XD

I guess your right about most of the things you mentioned. We recentl had a car written off... the airbags didnt deploy, still got written off :(

^^ I look forward to owning a 323 soon :D I'll share some pics when i have one!! I'm getting it in Noble green!!

Thanks 70NYD!

nullando
16-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Welcome at AGT. I'm new here too but you'll find heaps of useful stuff here.

I have a Series 1 astina for a few years now. When I bought mine I was tossing up between the two and chose the 1.8 for economic reasons. Never looked back. I felt that the v6 was too heavy and guzzles too much 4 what I needed it 4. I've loved my astina so much I've convinced two friends to get one too over the years and they have been great

It's also a really reliable car I've almost hit 100k since I've bought mine and never skipped a beat.

:)

spenaroo
16-01-2010, 09:48 AM
same hear at convincing mates to get them.

and i got a series one with a gray interior.:confused: and it is gray, not even a hint of green, black accents i.e dash

project.r.racing
16-01-2010, 09:51 AM
i personally think the series 3 interior is better. doors are easier to use, but interior can get hot being black. but much better looking than the earlier green. the grey/black interior i'm 50/50 on.

go a 4 banger. cd is a non issue as most cd players on v6 models will most like not work as the are more than 10 years old. so you'll end up puting in your own anyways.

70NYD
16-01-2010, 01:13 PM
haha ryan ur so boring :p
the series 1/2 interior, while not black, has the ninja handles/pockets :D
thats my fav part haha the newer one is like any other car, thats my reasoning behind it :p

project.r.racing
16-01-2010, 02:15 PM
the pockets are good, but you can never see what is in the bottom of them. and you have to break your wrists to actually get anything out of the bottom of them.

airbag is standard on all the series 3 models. was only a option on series 1 and 2 models. so if you want an airbag, look for s series 3, as 1s and 2s will be a 50/50 lottery to get an airbag.

if you want to change the steering wheel, get a model without a airbag, as it is illegal in all states to remove a airbag steering from any car that is fitted with one.

Cosmo Dude
16-01-2010, 03:52 PM
All V6s had G series trans.
Mx-3/Eunos 30/Pressio had the K8 V6 which is 1.8 liters the KF is 2.0 liters
Most if not all FWD are more difficult to work on. The V6 Astina just needs a little more planning. I replaced the fuel filter in under 30 minutes on my V6.

70NYD
16-01-2010, 04:04 PM
All V6s had G series trans.
Mx-3/Eunos 30/Pressio had the K8 V6 which is 1.8 liters the KF is 2.0 liters
Most if not all FWD are more difficult to work on. The V6 Astina just needs a little more planning. I replaced the fuel filter in under 30 minutes on my V6.

oh man i did not know this :o i appologyse

FC1032
16-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Oh the hard choices!!

But newer ones had more colours right? There wasnt the metallic grey in earlier models... that grey looks pretty nice too!

Cosmo Dude
16-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Don't be too concerned about colours unless you don't like the green interior as it was only found in the noble green and sparkel green models. You only truly choose a colour when you buy new and then sometimes not.

FC1032
16-01-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm not too considered about the colours, mainly the different series. I like all the colours the Astina has...

Well thanks to everyone's input :) I'll post some info and pics when i get one... Although i dont know when that will be... It is just "soon"!

mikey_something
17-01-2010, 02:15 PM
you'll be very pleased with the 1.8L mate...
ive had mine for ... OMG ALMOST HALF A YEAR NOW :D

and im still loving it
very economical, and when you want it to, goes hard :P
also those P's will look great against that colour... just sayin lol

tony's right about the oil, just ask whoever it is honestly how much oil it eats through

but tony just a question, the o-ring and the tappet cover gasket, cheap replacement? cause im having a service on tuesday might get them to inspect those two things specifically :)

Ghoru
17-01-2010, 03:21 PM
ba...pfft BG FTW! :D
on a serious note tho would choose the 1.8l... my bg is in pretty crap condish and i have beat a few lancers and wrx of the line. very nice pickup so i dare say the ba would be a damn fine drive

70NYD
17-01-2010, 04:36 PM
the oring (genuine) is about 20 form memory and the genuine tappet cover gasket is about 70 i think. i am pretty sure that tehre are cheaper ones.
also i forgot to mention, the story goes that series 2 BP was built by kia, and the rings wear prematurely (oil rings that is) i can vouch for the rings part as i have 160K and i will have to changethem soon.

Cosmo Dude
17-01-2010, 05:01 PM
I hope when your talking about the o-ring being 20 I hope you meant cents. I think that's what I paid Mazda for mine.

project.r.racing
17-01-2010, 06:26 PM
i paid 50 cents for my o ring a clark rubber, (mazda had 0 in stock in the whole of QLD). and 75 dollars for a genuine mazda cam cover gasket.

Cosmo Dude
17-01-2010, 07:31 PM
GP Mazda went over the road to a bearing supply shop for mine. I guess that they knew the right size and had to chage something.