PDA

View Full Version : diffierence between these

hart3_9
19-01-2010, 08:12 AM
im not meanin to sound rude or anythin i was lookin on ebay this mornin n t seen these lights but i dont know what they mean bk1 n bk2
is it just diffence in the light like clear indicator in coloured indicator or somethin to do with model difference
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mazda-323-Protege-01-03-Crystal-Headlight-BK1-for-Mazda_W0QQitemZ360131848894QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_C ar_Parts_Accessories?hash=item53d987eabe
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mazda-323-Protege-01-03-Crystal-Headlight-BK2-for-Mazda_W0QQitemZ360131848899QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_C ar_Parts_Accessories?hash=item53d987eac3

phildough
19-01-2010, 08:44 AM
One appears to be black around the reflectors and the other grey?

chicaboo
19-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Make sure they are for RHD vehicles [likely not...].

Gav.

bourbon
19-01-2010, 09:13 AM
they are both black surrounds on the inside, one has an orange lens for the blinker and the other clear...

i bet they arent for right hand drive cars meaning the headlights wont sit and shine in the right spot...

Brisbane_boy
19-01-2010, 10:20 AM
clear indicator looks better, BUT remeber on the BJs the indicator is on the inside not the outside of the light. Must be on the outside on the USDM models.

Orion
19-01-2010, 10:40 AM
If they have an orange indicator on the outside, then then they are most likely USDM headlights for the turbo Protege (MSP), which have the hi/lo combination lights (H4 I think).

The lights will probably be pointed to the right - directly at on-coming traffic.

hart3_9
19-01-2010, 04:02 PM
thanks guys i just need some new lights mine have gone all foggy

Mad Mat
19-01-2010, 04:11 PM
mate mine went all foggy to. all u need to do is get some really really good cut pollish and hit them with that. they will come up bran new. ask marc and orion how mine looked. lol :D i'll evan post up a picture of them now so they can comment if u want???

bourbon
19-01-2010, 04:33 PM
dont use cut and polish!!! use something finer than cut & polish...we do it here but we use AUTOSOL Metal polish works a treat, then we just use meguires wax...

if you use cut & polish you will most likely scratch the lens...

other thing you can do is use really fine wet & dry on it but use a **** load of water, then put on the autosol and then wax...but when you do any of this dont rush it

Brisbane_boy
19-01-2010, 06:19 PM
i just use the buff at work with wat eva polish is left on the pad.
works good. just use a real slow speed.

Mad Mat
19-01-2010, 06:25 PM
NO SAND PAPER. its doesn't work i've tryed. it just comes back lookin wores then eva.:(

chicaboo
19-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Genuine Mazda headlights don't go hazy/yellowish. Hey Matt ;) :p

Brisbane_boy
19-01-2010, 07:06 PM
isnt it the plastic ones go hazy but not the glass ones?? that wat i was told once.

chicaboo
19-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Well, in this case it doesn't matter, they were only plastic lenses. So, if your BJ headlights go hazy or discoloured, it's because your car has had front end damage, and the headlights have been replaced with cheap aftermarket parts.

marcs_sp20
19-01-2010, 07:17 PM
All BJ headlights are plastic...

Meguiar's PlastX or Permatex Headlight Cleaner should do the trick...

http://www.autobarn.com.au/AB_images/products/images/prod_1202184540.jpg

And Gav, next time you look at my car, ones hazy and one is not, and the one that is hazy wasnt replaced from my accident years ago :eek:

So in fact its the OEM's that haze, not the aftermarket lights...

Brisbane_boy
19-01-2010, 07:21 PM
mine havnet gone hazy yet. but my sister had a decent accident in it and they might have been replaced.

chicaboo
19-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Maybe there is something you don't know about your car? :p

Is your hazy one also the one with the broken clip?

marcs_sp20
19-01-2010, 07:29 PM
No accidents before I bought the car ;)

broken clip as in the bulb holder? yes it is, but its been hazy before it broke off/out

chicaboo
19-01-2010, 07:34 PM
When you take your lights out, have a look for the manufacture markings on both of them and see what you can find. The only lights I've seen go hazy on BJs have always been aftermarket.

bourbon
19-01-2010, 10:41 PM
chicaboo it doesnt matter if it is a genuine mazda or not...never buff the lights you have a real good chance of getting crazy cracks in them...its where there is all these small cracks in the plastic you can only see at certain angles...

ive seen genuine bj lights 1 & 2 gone hazy...it all depends on how they are looked after and the amount of sun they get...

D Valerius
19-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Plastic ones haze glass ones have that stupid refractive designs in them ...cant win...

chicaboo
19-01-2010, 11:25 PM
chicaboo it doesnt matter if it is a genuine mazda or not...never buff the lights you have a real good chance of getting crazy cracks in them...its where there is all these small cracks in the plastic you can only see at certain angles...

ive seen genuine bj lights 1 & 2 gone hazy...it all depends on how they are looked after and the amount of sun they get...
If you look at Matt's aftermarket lights, you will understand what I am talking about, versus the micro scratches in plastic that you are referring to... I have never seen genuine BJ lights go HAZY and discolour [not foggy/dull that just polishes off]. If you are talking about the plastic going dull, and just polishing them back to good, that's a different thing all together. You can't easily polish the inside of a crappy aftermarket headlight where it has gone poop from the glue/resin leaching into the plastic over time, turning it opaqué...

Gav.

bourbon
19-01-2010, 11:32 PM
i thought we were talking about the plastic lens going hazy...i havnt been talking about the reflector going poop

chicaboo
20-01-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm not talking about the reflector either... I'm saying the plastic on the inner face of the cheap aftermarket lenses, actually turns $#!T from age/UV/proximity to adhesives/poor seal, etc, and no amount of buffing will ever get it good again. Short of taking the light apart and buffing the inside of the lens, but that won't change the fact that the plastic ages right through any how.

This isn't confined to just aftermarket headlights, but it usually is the case. The most classic example of genuine factory headlights that go bad, are the Starlet GT headlights. But at least on them, the plastic goes milky in a consistent fashion. You can polish a genuine BJ lense back to good health, but these cheapies are doomed to stay crap.

Gav.

bourbon
20-01-2010, 09:31 AM
oh your talking inside the light...ive never seen a lens go ****ty on the inside of the plastic...it always the outside...happens to falcons ef/el, skylines, hondas, mazdas, lexus, toyotas...

nearly all headlights that were made between 1992-2004 in the plastic from the dealers origional moulds go ****ty after 3-5 years...

chicaboo
20-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Yeah, I mean on the inside of the lens, or even through the thickness of the lens. That's why you can't polish it out. I know what you're talking about by polishing the surface micro-abrasions out which give it that foggy look, that's cool if the plastic hasn't gone off.

People hang $#!T on Neesahn, but my JDM headlights are still very clear after 12 years on the Pulsar. The vinyl on the other hand is another story... :p

Gav.

bourbon
20-01-2010, 10:02 AM
wait for yours to go ****ty gav...it will happen...

asanga
20-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Most headlight lenses are polycarb and the problem is its tendency to yellow and cloud over time as a result of UV exposure.......polycarb without a UV inhibiting additive will show strong yellowing upon exposure to natural and artificial sources of UV (sunlight and HIDs)..... so apart from the nature of the plastic itself, lamp selection can affect the yellowing process!!

marcs_sp20
25-01-2010, 01:20 AM
Did this with 2mins of hard rubbing, with toothpaste! :D Google it, it works (and has in this instance)'

From this:
http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=3407&d=1249546912

to this:
http://www.astinagt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7&pictureid=158
http://www.astinagt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7&pictureid=159

crappy pics I know, but the tootpaste has got rid of around 75% of the dullness, will go over them again tomorrow...