PDA

View Full Version : Pod filter on stock intake.

mynameisdaniel
08-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Hi,
Just wondering if there is any reason why I can't buy a pod filter for my SP20 and attach it to where the box filter attaches to the MAF (and remove all of the stock skoop/intake etc.)? I would put a small section of piping between the two to fit the temp sensor, but would I run into any problems with this setup?
Cheers.

marcs_sp20
08-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Hey Dan,

Just depends on the legalities of having an exposed filter, as you can in QLD, but in NSW it needs to be enclosed!

You will also have to have it secured so that its not going to flop around etc.

I dont agree with having a pod in an engine bay, as you would be getting a lot of heat soak off not just the exhaust, but the motor...

mynameisdaniel
08-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks Marc, I would prefer to run a CAI behind the passenger fog light, but would probably be best buying an actual kit for that. In SA I won't have to worry about the intake as our cars aren't inspected regularly like other states (unless you have an external defect which gets picked up).
I won't run into problems with too much air messing with the sensors or anything will I?
I'll take it apart tomorrow and see if there's some way I can mount it that will give me cool air.

marcs_sp20
08-02-2010, 01:20 PM
You could always make up your own CAI out of bent tubing & hose from Supercheap/Autobarn, Phildough has a DIY cai on his BJ and seems to do just fine :)

Also, with the currency being relatively good, you could always see if you can find a K&N typhoon CAI off Ebay America? wouldnt be too much to ship to AUS I would imagine... :)

Cheers
Marc

mynameisdaniel
08-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I'll look into it. All the name brand CAI/SRIs seem to be $200-$300, going to put that money towards repainting and lowering the car first though. Can get a cheap eBay SRI for about $100 but that'll still suck in hot air.

Brisbane_boy
08-02-2010, 01:37 PM
yer i would reccoment to make ur own if the other are a bit exy. I made my own just check wat pipes u need. putting just a pod on will give u a good sounds but as marc said its just sucking in hot air.

mynameisdaniel
08-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Yeah, was thinking about trying it for the vacuum sound but don't know if i would get sick of it or it would sound stupid coz I've got stock exhaust.
Sucking in hot air would result in worse fuel economy/power right? no extra wear on the engine?

mikey_something
08-02-2010, 04:31 PM
im off to the autobarn later this week to purchase bent pipes and hosing to make a CAI to run from bottom of airfilter to front bar... then putting in a k&n panel filter

Clean_Cookie
08-02-2010, 05:10 PM
will be watching to see how you do it mikey. what i did was get corrogated ag pipe (the suff without the slits) and just made that flexi into where one of my fog lights would have gone(on the hardtop). works well, makes it a little noisier, not sure if it will make any difference to have a pod though. might be more S/A with a pod yeilding greater input. next i will place the pod down low so it forces the air into the pod then up alloy/pvc piping. alloy will look the best but dunno, pvc conduit is cheap as!