PDA

View Full Version : Rear KYB Struts Product Codes

Rix
26-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Sorry to be annoying but does anyone know the codes for the KYB struts for a 1997 BA Astina 4cycl model.

Thanks
Rix

Mad Mat
26-02-2010, 05:26 PM
talk to greg??? and y u need them???

Rix
26-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Cause my car bottom outs on corner, any weight in the back = tyres hitting the underside of the car etc. My car still has the oem stock struts from factory.

Clean_Cookie
27-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Cause my car bottom outs on corner, any weight in the back = tyres hitting the underside of the car etc. My car still has the oem stock struts from factory.
from my LIMITED knowledge its nothing to do with the shocks... the springs control the height and the shock manages the rebound of the spring (i.e. the speed at which the spring can depress/expand. i know theres alot more to it than that but harder springs will prevent it from dropping down as far with the same force etc... make any sense to anyone else lol?

70NYD
27-02-2010, 12:18 PM
yes that makes sense.
spring has a liniar rate whcih means that the more you push at the spring the more it compresses, speed at whcih you push it doesnt make a difference.
shocks have a dynamic rate (this terminology is not corect but i cant remember the correct one right now..)which means if u compress them slowly they are more likely to compress evenly than if you do it very quickly. so when u take the corner and have stiffer shocks with same springs it is less likely to bottom out where as it would if u sit 4 fat arses in the car. this being said rix if u get KYB shox and use the crappy sagging springs u have in there at the moment u will more than likely stuff the shox up cus they will be doing some of the holding up rather than just controlling the time it takes for the spring to settle (ie SHOCKABSORBTION lol)

rix u really should change all 4 corners at the same time man, shocks and springs cus apart from the fact u dont have to pull apart the old struts, it will give u the best result. i think i told u this b4??
if u cant aford it perhaps u should loan the money from your parrents (loan being the key term)

Clean_Cookie
27-02-2010, 01:14 PM
yes that makes sense.
spring has a liniar rate whcih means that the more you push at the spring the more it compresses, speed at whcih you push it doesnt make a difference.
shocks have a dynamic rate (this terminology is not corect but i cant remember the correct one right now..)which means if u compress them slowly they are more likely to compress evenly than if you do it very quickly. so when u take the corner and have stiffer shocks with same springs it is less likely to bottom out where as it would if u sit 4 fat arses in the car. this being said rix if u get KYB shox and use the crappy sagging springs u have in there at the moment u will more than likely stuff the shox up cus they will be doing some of the holding up rather than just controlling the time it takes for the spring to settle (ie SHOCKABSORBTION lol)

rix u really should change all 4 corners at the same time man, shocks and springs cus apart from the fact u dont have to pull apart the old struts, it will give u the best result. i think i told u this b4??
if u cant aford it perhaps u should loan the money from your parrents (loan being the key term)
well theres the correct answer :P

why not go coilovers :P thats what ill be doing in the next... 6 months haha until then ill deal with scrapage and whatnot.
on a side note, i have found that the SHAPE of the tyres make a big difference. the old tyres i had were alot more square on the edges whereas the ones i have now are alot more rounded.. the rounded ness gives it that bit more clearance i was looking for... something to think about next time tyres need renewing. not a great fix but helps the problem a little :)

mussing
27-02-2010, 02:06 PM
To test whether your shocks need renewing, use your body weight to put some downward force on each corner of the car. If the struts don't bounce up immediately to their previous position, it's likely they are worn and need replacing.

Like Tony said, if you're going to be replacing your shocks with something of decent quality like KYB, it would pay to replace the springs at the same time to get the best out of them. No point driving around with great shocks and sagging springs...

project.r.racing
28-02-2010, 08:20 AM
to the above 4 posters, this conversation has been had in another of Rix's thread regards his shocks. and they have been tested already and deemed old/crap/worn.

agreed as to replacing good shock on regular stock suspension. if replacing i'd just be getting the cheap $250 sets of ebay.

Mad Mat
28-02-2010, 10:36 AM
to the above 4 posters, this conversation has been had in another of Rix's thread regards his shocks. and they have been tested already and deemed old/crap/worn.

agreed as to replacing good shock on regular stock suspension. if replacing i'd just be getting the cheap $250 sets of ebay.

agreed. get everything so it will last. :) shocks and springs. or just go bc coilovers lol :p

Rix
28-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, i have talked to Ryan, Pedders and various other places regrading my suspension, there have been mixed ideas floating around, some say shocks and springs, some say springs, some just say my tyres are too wide, I'll post up the official report from pedders to see what u guys think.

Quote for the cost to fix:
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/Rixlive/da72c538.jpg?t=1267358838

Test Results:
Rear:
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/Rixlive/b714a5c6.jpg?t=1267358885

Front:
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/Rixlive/2e3f70c8.jpg?t=1267358930

Test Results:
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/Rixlive/car/pedders.jpg?t=1267358996

Astro Boy
01-03-2010, 08:45 AM
Those prices for comfort gas are absurd.... C/Gas is their entry level, basic chips shocks...

KYB's are $159 each. And a PAIR of bump stops is $65.

mussing
01-03-2010, 10:01 AM
I had the same test done on my car when I got it, and they quoted something like $1500 to fix various things. Total rip-off.

outbakoz
01-03-2010, 10:13 AM
It worked out cheaper to go eibach springs and koni yellow shocks from Astro Boy and get them fitted at Fulcrums Stafford than what Pedders quoted me for Monroes and KYB's

Rix
01-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Its not the fitting i'm worried about i can get that done for next to nothing, i just need to know the recommendations on what parts to get, keep in mind i'm a student and have next to no income, so if possible i'd like to do this the cheapest (legalist) way.

Astro Boy
01-03-2010, 12:54 PM
It worked out cheaper to go eibach springs and koni yellow shocks from Astro Boy and get them fitted at Fulcrums Stafford than what Pedders quoted me for Monroes and KYB's
There's a blast from the past!

Have you still got your BA?

Astro Boy
01-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Its not the fitting i'm worried about i can get that done for next to nothing, i just need to know the recommendations on what parts to get, keep in mind i'm a student and have next to no income, so if possible i'd like to do this the cheapest (legalist) way.
As above, KYB's $159 each!

outbakoz
01-03-2010, 01:32 PM
There's a blast from the past!

Have you still got your BA?
Hell yeah

We'll have to talk about brake upgrades later in March ;)

I cannot recommend Greg ( Astro Boy) enough, great prices and service.

Astro Boy
01-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Hell yeah
Then send me an address so I can get those boot struts to you!!! :p

Rix
01-03-2010, 01:45 PM
would i need new springs?

Astro Boy
01-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Not unless you want to change your ride height.

Rix
03-03-2010, 02:30 PM
I can get the kybs for $135 each, from Repco - Mates rates:P

How much is the bump stop kit thingo + freight to buderim qld?

Clean_Cookie
03-03-2010, 10:37 PM
btw Astro = awesome :) fast CORRECT service. id pay more so I could avoid repco lol..bad experience in general...lol!

Astro Boy
04-03-2010, 01:19 PM
I can get the kybs for $135 each, from Repco - Mates rates:P

How much is the bump stop kit thingo + freight to buderim qld?
Meh, we can match the $135...

A pair of bump stops and boots kits is $65. Shipping to Buderim on either just the bump stops or shocks as well would be $15.