PDA

View Full Version : BC Coilover Setup

gtarone
02-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Alright, as you know i've been adjusting my coilovers. Now i'm trying to get the front set lower, but getting no where fast.
I've got a picture to explain, i've lowered the spring almost to the bottom, has about 2mm between the lowerest point, but it's not low enough! So i've started turning the inside thread (1) down below the unit, so the thread is about 2cm out the bottom (2). Is this a good idea - as it actually only lowered the ride height another 5mm, i would like it down another 20mm on ride height if possible.

http://adcx1g.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pBz4Fkxt9WU70t1f613xuEuFdxeM4tWTjqnI2pQmoyTA-TZkbpm5pxDnObEYKQLHaj3hEAEBy-XtWKT3FdMUANgtanjXxNGKf/shock.JPG

Cheers,
Steve.

bourbon
02-03-2010, 10:53 AM
i thought number 2 was the dampner or is that on the top?

alex_d
02-03-2010, 01:40 PM
My BC's and from what I understand of how they should be set up is to have the spring sitting in firm but not compressed. All the height adjustment is done by the inner thread. How far that inner thread protudes from the bottom of the strut doesn't matter providing it does not come into contact with your CV boot. For my fronts, I have the inner thread wound all the way down so the spring and lock nuts are sitting on the low rest. I have the Red series BC's which may differ to the Gold's but should be the same.

70NYD
02-03-2010, 04:04 PM
steve u will find if you lower the front right for eg the back left will lift a little noticably and all the other ones will move a little as well. this is why it took me so damn long to adjsut myn (about 4 hours) to get them all siting perfectly level acording to the arches. i wouldt go fcuking with the spring precompression as that will give u a much tougher ride and will not be predictible if all 4 springs are at diff settings. my rear left (as it is the corner with the least weight) is wound down so it protrudes about 5-6 cm. the other side isnt so.

its annoying and time consuming.. i beleive u can get seccond set of "helper" springs that will do the leveling for you. this turns the linear springs we have in to SORTOF progressive like standard springs. i didnt do any tracking down or pricing

project.r.racing
02-03-2010, 04:36 PM
your description doesn't make alot of sense, but...

you do not lower the spring perch at all, you only lower it at the strut feet.

no of mine are the same as i've weighted the coilovers to suit each corner of the car.

helper springs will not benefit you in any way, adding these will actually increase the ride hight by 15-20mm. they do not make the coilover progressive rate at all.

when the car's weight is on the coilover, the helper is completely compressed. they are only there so keep the main spring captive when weight is removed from them and the shock strectches out. BC coilovers do not have this problem as the should be adjusted at the strut feet, not the spring perch.

70NYD
02-03-2010, 10:49 PM
no ride height should be adjustet at spring perch. changing that is adding precompression to springs.. and its something that cannot and should not be guessed...
i dont understand what part of my post doesnt make sense. i did write it between 2 classes lol. i didnt mean helper springs i just cant remember the term. you get these as a set of seperate 2 shorter springs per shock (or you can actually buy progressive coilovers)

project.r.racing
03-03-2010, 08:31 PM
steve's post didn't make much sense. not yours tony.

70NYD
03-03-2010, 10:32 PM
oh gotcha.
sorry for the misunderstanding ryan :(

gtarone
05-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Hey thanks for replies, sorry for vague post ryan, i stuffed around with it more, and i have an outside garage, and the weather has been horrible. So it went in today to get new tyres so i asked for them to balance it out for me at the same time, but keep it low as legally possible :P i'll let you guys know how it went.

Cheers,
Steve.