PDA

View Full Version : Possibly Purchasing Astina

teepee
07-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Hi guys

Thanks for keeping up such a great resource for those in need!

I'm looking for a car (currently don't have one: moving house + drive to station + pregnant wife = need something to drive!) I've wandered into Astinaland via Corollacity and Pulsarville. Basically I started asking some mech eng mates what a fun, reliable, cheap and efficient car was, and the universal answer was "try a Japanese hatch". After a lot of web searching and a bit of poking around on carsales.com.au I discovered the BA Astina, and I think I'm onto a winner.

Sooo... I'm going to try to not just ask for broad advice, cos there are lots of threads out there and I was asked to search before posting when I registered :D And I'm not going to ask if a hardtop or hatch is better cos that'll just descend into chaos. I haven't decided which I prefer yet - just love the low profile headlights! Unless there is a big difference in backseat and boot space - any thought on this?

Anyway, what I'll do is put down what I think, and I hope you'll tell me if I'm saying something stoopid. I'm what you'd call a google mechanic. I generally know what it's called and what it does, but not what it looks like or how to fix it ;)

I'm looking at a BA11P3 (which I think is what carsales calls a BA series 3?). Manual, of course. I'm going for this one in particular cos in the short to medium term there won't be any time or money to look at mods :)

I know the P1 (series 1?) has a larger transmission and driveshaft, but I think the generally lower kms and less wear might make it worth getting a younger model for what I need. (not 100% on this bit). Not sure what difference the larger tran and DS make to longevity.

I don't need the extra vroom the 2.0L would give. From the sounds of it the 1.8L are pretty fun to drive, and I'm not going to be thrashing it anyway. I just want something with a bit of go if I feel like it, and that's fun to put round a corner.

I understand the major services are big things to check (and to do if there are no records - timing belt and others. Any specifics here?) Someone mentioned a while ago that the clutches tend to go at about 150k. And also that the tappet cover gaskets and distributor o-rings are common (and cheap) causes of oil leaks. I haven't found any other info on common problems (apart from references to the "standard FWD issues", which I take to be CV joints and other steering related stuff - suggestions welcome!). Are there common issues with brakes in these models? Or any other big things I haven't found? Do some of the paint colours tend to wear badly?

From what I've seen I think I should be able to get a reasonable BA11P3 on the road (RWC + other bits and pieces) for $6k. Am I in the right cricket ground there?

Thanks for your help. If you have any other advice or suggestions please let me know!

Rupewrecht
08-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Welcome to AGT!

Looks like you're pretty much answered all your own questions there. :)

I'd definitely point at a Hatch rather than a Hardtop, purely because they've got a better load area in the rear. The Hardtop has a pretty narrow opening for the boot and with things like prams etc it'd just be easier with the Hatch.

teepee
17-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Hi guys

Thanks for the feedback. Last night I purchased a red series 2 hatch for $4.5k with RWC, new windscreen, clutch, battery, brakes and muffler. Single owner, done a little under 200k. Not too bad, I think - full service history provided. We'll see if there are any nasty surprises at the 200k service sometime soon, but everything seems to be pretty good. VicRoads lists date of manufacture as 97 but I thought all Series 2 were 96 or earlier. Maybe one of the last produced? Of has the State Gov got it wrong again?

I'll get some pics up when I can :)

BTW, after forgetting my forum password I had to answer a random question to get it reset. What would you answer to "Are your Human?" After trying "Yes", "No", "Yes?" and "What?" and being knocked back every single time I eventually got another question and passed. That's some good security there! If I couldn't get through it there's no way a bot would either...

70NYD
17-06-2010, 12:35 PM
series 3 switched over in about 97 sometimes, and the badges switched over at a different time 2 lol.. its a bit of a hazy gray area
congratulations on your purchase :)
pics or ban

mikey_something
19-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Hi guys

Thanks for the feedback. Last night I purchased a red series 2 hatch for $4.5k with RWC, new windscreen, clutch, battery, brakes and muffler. Single owner, done a little under 200k. Not too bad, I think - full service history provided. We'll see if there are any nasty surprises at the 200k service sometime soon, but everything seems to be pretty good. VicRoads lists date of manufacture as 97 but I thought all Series 2 were 96 or earlier. Maybe one of the last produced? Of has the State Gov got it wrong again?

I'll get some pics up when I can :)

BTW, after forgetting my forum password I had to answer a random question to get it reset. What would you answer to "Are your Human?" After trying "Yes", "No", "Yes?" and "What?" and being knocked back every single time I eventually got another question and passed. That's some good security there! If I couldn't get through it there's no way a bot would either...

haha brilliant :)
but wait... are you human?! :eek: :p

Congrats on the purchase, and as tony said, pics please :)

Clean_Cookie
19-06-2010, 07:37 PM
just for future reference, the hardtop had a wider roof area in the back, as discovered when i was looking around and trying to decide. the boot is also quite large too... will fit a 6ft surfboard in it, just! the hatch's roof tilts in more, so with 3 people in the car, the people on the sides have to either be really short/small (kids) or tilt their heads toward the centre of the car, the hardtop was slightly squarer in shape and was alot more comforable for 3 adults in a test fit!

but congrats on the purchase. i still thing the hatch's are better looking with a few exterior mods compared to the hardtop :P

teepee
04-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Still waiting for pics, I know... At the moment we've got an apartment full of boxes and have no time to wash the BA and get it in an inappropriate pose. We'll be in the new place next weekend (double garage - woohoo!) and pics will follow then. At the moment my new toy has to live on the street :(

And I'm as human as the next lot of digitally encoded type on your screen ;)