PDA

View Full Version : PD's SP20

phunkdust
09-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Hey all,

This is my ride

2002 BJII-J48 SP20 hatch in "Supreme Blue"

125,000 on the clock

Mostly stock except for headers and an intake and the whiteline rear swaybar, TB coolant bypass, LCA brace.

Interior has a red theme, I've changed out most of the lights (glovebox etc) for red ones to match the dash, got red LED strips in the footwells.

Exterior all stock but I will be doing bump strip and foglight delete when I get a sec. Rear bar has a few scrapes and the front bar is falling down a little, really need to get it all fixed and detail it as the paintwork is looking less than great.

wheeler33
09-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Hey man, welcome and rupe does have some sweet bits, don't steal em all!

marcs_sp20
09-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Welcome!

And the colour is "Supreme Blue" ;)

phunkdust
07-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Yeah I love the colour even though I really wanted the safety yellow one.

I want to get mine looking even half as shmick as yours. :D

smurfy
08-12-2010, 11:00 AM
yellow FTW :D

Orion
08-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Welcome! :)

I originally was chasing a 'Starry Blue' SP20 but ended up with the 'Supreme Blue'. Haven't regretted it since.

Always good to have another SP20 around, and especially one with the bestest colour! :D :p

Cheers.

marcs_sp20
08-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Supreme Blue = Win! :D Only cause it goes purple in the light, and chicks dig purple :p

phunkdust
20-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Fog delete and trans cooler went in today, pics to follow.

Brisbane_boy
20-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Welcome! :)

I originally was chasing a 'Starry Blue' SP20 but ended up with the 'Supreme Blue'. Haven't regretted it since.

Always good to have another SP20 around, and especially one with the bestest colour! :D :p

Cheers.

wasnt matt spicy orange?????????? :confused:

phunkdust
21-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Transmission cooler installed.

http://www.unfinishedsymphony.net/mazda/transcooler.jpg

Foglight delete

http://www.unfinishedsymphony.net/mazda/fogdelete.jpg

Does anyone know the purpose of that little lip under the bumper? Does it serve any purpose other than to get caught on driveways? Surely a piece of plastic hanging straight down doesn't do anything good for underbody aerodynamics?

Did the fuel filter today as well. That is an exercise in patience I tell ya.

Orion
21-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Transmission cooler installed.

Do you have an automatic transmission?

Does anyone know the purpose of that little lip under the bumper? Does it serve any purpose other than to get caught on driveways? Surely a piece of plastic hanging straight down doesn't do anything good for underbody aerodynamics?

I think its more of a splash guard. But I don't think that it does much ;)

ethand
21-12-2010, 04:48 PM
i thought fog lights was 1/2 the point in buying a SP20?? (other than bigger engine, obviously)

mynameisdaniel
21-12-2010, 04:50 PM

I thought it was to stop rocks and stuff from damaging anything underneath... all I know is it makes it impossible to get a jack under my car without taking it off :(
Where'd you get the foglight deletes? They look good :)

i thought fog lights was 1/2 the point in buying a SP20?? (other than bigger engine, obviously)
They don't actually make any worthwhile difference :P especially with HIDs in the headlights :D

Rupewrecht
21-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Where'd you get the foglight deletes? They look good :)

Me ;)

phunkdust
21-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Do you have an automatic transmission?

Yes. I am a girlyman. :D

Bought the SP20 because of it's sporting pretensions. Had I known know what I knew then I wouldn't have bought it (probably gone for a nice BA instead and saved some money)

Went for the SP20 specifically because I think it's good looking. Also I live in metro melbourne so I've never used the fog lights once. I think it looks better without, actually... round fogs don't really match the headlights.

Fog deletes from Rupe, you'll need 4x 10G x about 30mm self tappers.

My jack also barely fits under that splash guard. I really want one of those nifty Arcan jacks that are 90mm closed and go up to 500mm

phildough
21-12-2010, 06:36 PM

I thought it was there to warn you when you are about to hit a kerb or driveway.

phunkdust
23-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Argh I think I busted my master cylinder somehow... noticed a couple of drips leaking down the body of the booster. :(

phunkdust
18-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Master cylinder is OK, must have just been a little messy when bleeding the brakes. Phew!

Not sure if it's real or just me but the trans seems to be shifting a little better since the cooler went in. Also relocated my horns (Stebels) as they might have been blocking some of the radiator.

New front stage - JL Audio C5-650 components. They sound DAMN nice. And from the 4x100 Alpine amp they go stupidly loud. Now I want to move to a JL Amp and then maybe a Sony headunit and do away with the separate EQ.

Brakes are nicely bed in now. Using RDA slotted discs and QFM HPX pads bought from GSL Rallysport. If you're thinking of HPX pads, do it. The stockies were Bendix and horrible. The HPX pads bite really nicely and are very predictable and progressive and I reckon need about 15% less pedal pressure. Also... no dust! The Bendix pads kept my wheels constantly grey. Since I've had the HPX pads on they've kept clean.

woofy
19-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Stock ones are not Bendix, they would have been put on later when the originals wore. They used to come with quite expensive Jap spec pads, then Mazda here offered those and an OZ sourced set that were cheaper.

I bought the Jap spec ones and ended up selling the car at a bit over 90k with still heaps of the original brake pads in. Mainly due to it being a manual. I can't say that an auto SP20 would be much fun really.

phunkdust
19-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Well I'll blame that one on Penfolds in Burwood for putting Bendix pads on.

I'm in two minds about it being auto. I do sometimes wish I had a manual for when I like to have a bit of fun but 90% of the time I am commuting on mostly 60/70 roads in traffic where the auto makes life easier (especially considering how not switched on I am in the mornings)

It's still a good drive when you push it, it's not as fast off the line as a manual but the torque means it's perky in the midrange. I took it to an ozmazda motorkhana event and beat a lot of cars faster on paper. Really I don't care that much about the transmission, it's the chassis dynamics and general feel of the car I love. At the end of the day the only thing that sets it apart from the manual version is the extra fuel it drinks.

If I start earning more I'd look at getting something plainer for the daily commute and maybe an MX-5 (manual of course) for the weekends.

TODDYWAL
01-05-2011, 06:35 PM
What size bulbs go in the central dash surround?

phunkdust
01-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Ahh they differ. The red backlight for the gauges is a T10, but if you go LED you will need to experiment with side-emitting ones ie one that casts a more 360 spread like the old filament bulb. The dash backlight is a regular bulb with a red 'condom' on top. If you put in a white LED you'll get more of an oldschool yellowish backlight around the rev counter but your redline will still be red. You could try blue or green LEDs in there too.

For the instrument lights and warning lights I think they are a T5 or even a T3. Some lights are on the board itself so you can't get to it without taking the dash module apart.

TODDYWAL
02-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Cheers, im not game enough to play around with my gauge lighting yet. I was thinking of changing the lighting colour on the power window controls.

mynameisdaniel
02-05-2011, 06:36 PM
You'll have to cut the LED off the circuit board then solder a new one in place to do that... Or you could change it to green by replacing it with one from a non SP20 :)

phunkdust
02-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Gotta disassemble the switch first. I don't think I'd even bother trying that.

TODDYWAL
03-05-2011, 09:16 AM
MM maybz

phunkdust
12-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Headlight blackout mod, part 1. Pulling the lights apart was a piece of cake. In the oven 75C for 5-10 minutes, start working from the corner and be patient and don't use too much force. The end of a metal ruler is perfect for disengaging the clips as it puts less stress on the plastic than a screwdriver.

http://i40.tinypic.com/afg1vq.jpg

Sanded what I could with steel wool then hit it with several coats of plastic primer and then a good automotive flat black.

This is also the perfect time to polish the clear front lens while it's out of the car and you don't have to mask up the paintwork.

Ben
12-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Good stuff, what does part 2 entail?

phunkdust
12-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Putting them back together and putting them back on the car?

Also, installing AAC bumper brackets, finally. No more sag!

phunkdust
13-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Brackets installed

http://i40.tinypic.com/qst9fp.jpg

JDM-style blackout headlights

http://i43.tinypic.com/2vlsklt.jpg

Man my car is filthy.