PDA

View Full Version : SP20 coilovers fit a bh familia?

fatboy323
13-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Hey all,

Recently I started looking at getting some coilovers for my 1996 NZ new 323 - BH chassis (see pic. actual car).

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x134/snowdolpheen/mine-strutbrace.jpg

I was quite set on some BC golds, until BC distributor said that 2wd sp20 coilovers are the ones they put on BH familias like mine. This is interesting because I could find some better brand used setups for jap imported SP20s.

So, can someone confirm whether the top hats, and important tabs are the same on SP20 (I think only 2wd work) and BH familias? Or if you have a SP20 can you measure the distance between the top hat bolts and hub mounting holes?

:)

Rupewrecht
13-07-2010, 01:15 PM
I don't think that's right.

BHA Familia = CBA Lantis / BA Astina top hats. CBA ones are 3 diagonal bolts at the front, 3 bolts of 'square' in the rear

BJ are 4 bolt at the front.

The bottom mounts will probably be the same though.

fatboy323
13-07-2010, 01:26 PM
I don't think that's right.

BHA Familia = CBA Lantis / BA Astina top hats. CBA ones are 3 diagonal bolts at the front, 3 bolts of 'square' in the rear

BJ are 4 bolt at the front.

The bottom mounts will probably be the same though.

Thanks Rupe :)

Are the tops the same for 2- and 4wd? If so is there any difference in suspension at all? apart from the rear springs beings stiffer to compenstae for the rear diff/axle?

that's one of the SP20 setups for sale
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/tq/33/135784733.jpg

Rupewrecht
13-07-2010, 01:40 PM
The strut tops would be the same for 2WD and 4WD. At the bottom of the shocks, i'm not so sure of that.

Either way he's telling you porkies, to some degree.

project.r.racing
13-07-2010, 07:32 PM
the 2wd and 4wd fronts are completely the same. the 4wd rears top is the same as 2wd, but the 4wd bottoms are 2mm wider.

just buy the 2wd versions.

fatboy323
14-07-2010, 06:48 AM
The strut tops would be the same for 2WD and 4WD. At the bottom of the shocks, i'm not so sure of that.

Either way he's telling you porkies, to some degree.

Yeah, looks like he is :rolleyes:

I'm a complete newb in suspension, so can someone clarify something for me?

What would stop me from getting some SP20 coilovers and just mounting them in my original tops, or getting some aftermarket adjustable camber ones? I'm pretty sure SP20 weighs about as much as a BH (50kgs more). And being adjustable I can change the height and possibly dampening if I have to.

:confused:

Rupewrecht
14-07-2010, 09:39 AM
What would stop me from getting some SP20 coilovers and just mounting them in my original tops, or getting some aftermarket adjustable camber ones?

Original tops is unlikely, as i'd imagine the BCs have a bigger bore/thread size on the shafts of the shocks. Usually coilovers are like that

But i imagine you'd be able to use some of the Cusco adjustable camber tops, and get some for the rear as well. You can specify with Cusco the correct thread size/width of the nut to fit the shaft of whatever shocks you need to use them with.