PDA

View Full Version : BA Astinas: Remove Door Chime?

P'cisT
22-01-2004, 10:58 PM
Has anyone been able to find a way to remove the chime? It can drive you nuts especially when you're trying to listen to some music with the doors open!

Maz323f
22-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Door chime? In the uk all that happens is a light comes on :?

P'cisT
22-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Hmm... actually, maybe Astinas don't have door chime. I don't actually own one :lol:

I've got a Ford Laser (http://www.fordlaser.com/section.php?area=usercars&user_id=733) which was based on the Mazda and share many similarities. Just came over these forums to see if there was a solution since hardly anyone own the Laser model.

Maz323f
23-01-2004, 12:58 AM
lol, worth a try anyway

Cosmo Dude
23-01-2004, 07:39 AM
When the door is open, key in the ignition and engine off you get a beeping coming from the fuse box area. Does it matter which door is opened?

Their are two cicruits, one for the drivers door and one for the others. I checked my car but I have a jap spec CPU and it works in different ways to the Aussie spec.

P'cisT
23-01-2004, 10:16 AM
Yeah, it's from all doors. So do the Aussie Astinas actually have this feature?

Dogo
23-01-2004, 10:34 AM
yes

pr1mo
23-01-2004, 11:13 AM
do you have an alarm??? if yoy dont theres a simple (easy to remove) system which works well if your doors arent armed.

unscrew the screw which holds in the plunger then rescrew it back in with a bit of black paper/thin cardboard. This will stop the plunger circuit from earthing and eliminate your beeping woes!

cheers mike

Dogo
23-01-2004, 11:43 AM
what about the lights that turn on with the doors ?

rather just disable the beep. I can look in BA wiring diagrams for more info ... should have an answer sometime over the wkend

P'cisT
23-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I've got an alarm, but I'd rather keep the dash light function just in case anyway.

If you can looking into the wiring diagrams Dogo, thta would be great.

Cosmo Dude
23-01-2004, 12:21 PM
It's pages 170-173.
From what I can see it's not going to be easy, if I can find my spare CPU I'll open it up but I think it's run by a proccessor not TTL logic. I could eventualy work out the logic circuit but not re-program a processor.

pr1mo
23-01-2004, 12:28 PM
i remeber a thread where someone removed the beeps via a white box down below the steering colum.....

I had the beeping problem too. Whenever I work on my car, I have the stereo on, so ignition is on, and beeping starts when the door is open.

After sticking my head into the foot well, I finally found where the beeping comes from.

Remove the plastic kick panel near the accelerator pedal. Behind there is a white box, with a circuit board in it (about 5x15x1cm). Unplug and unscrew the box. Open up the box, and inside is a little white buzzer. Solder in a switch across the buzzer, and mount the switch to the outside of the box (or elsewhere in your car). Put the box back, and plug the wires back in. Now you can turn on and off the buzzer when you want.

Remember when mounting the switch, you need to be able to access it when the kick panel is back on. Tell you what, took ages to find the stupid little white thing.

Chris

cheers mike

MrShadow
23-01-2004, 12:36 PM
In my astina (96), if the key is turned to "On" instead of "ACC", it will beep for a couple seconds (Seatbelt warning), then stop. You can have doors open, whatever. Leave the key in "ACC" position, however, and you go insane very quickly

KittyKatSmack
23-01-2004, 12:54 PM
I have the insane beeping!!!!

But I have an alarm and want to use the lighting....

Don't know much about the white box theory though.....

Oh Aaron???? are you busy?????

:D

Cosmo Dude
23-01-2004, 01:18 PM
Turning key to on activates the engine circuits and would drain the battery more quickly. When I'm working on the car and I want to listen to the radio I unscrew the plunger a few turns to open the circuit and stop the beeping. As said I'll look for my spare CPU and see if their is anything obvious.

JynX
23-01-2004, 02:50 PM
I tape the sensor on the door down when im working on the car. Car thinks the door is closed. Everyone is happy.

Rupewrecht
23-01-2004, 02:54 PM
haha thats what i do. then i get pissed off because the electrical tape stretches and sets it off anyway!

JynX
23-01-2004, 03:01 PM
haha thats what i do. then i get pissed off because the electrical tape stretches and sets it off anyway!

big arse duc-tape is your friend

KittyKatSmack
23-01-2004, 08:13 PM
big arse and duc tape in one sentence from Jimbo.....

TOO EASY!

Cosmo Dude
27-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Done, well kinda.
Who wants to post a pic for me?

P'cisT
27-01-2004, 08:20 PM
I'll host the pics. Email PMed.

P'cisT
28-01-2004, 01:50 PM
I think Cosmo is on to something!

Here's his picture:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/kvntrn/Mods/Key.jpg

I believe he'll do a write up soon. :D

Cosmo Dude
28-01-2004, 03:11 PM
OK, the problem is that with the key in the ignition and the door is open unless the engine is running you have a beep alarm to warn you that you have left your keys in the ignition.
Disabling the door switch also disables the interior light and the door sensor on the alarm (where fitted).
Disabling the buzzer it's self could result in a flat battery when you've left your lights on.
This solution does have a side effect; I'll get to that later.

My solution is to disable the switch in the ignition lock so the CPU doesn't think that the key is in the ignition.

First gently lift the upper cowl on the steering column to unclip it from the lower cowl.

Second their are three screws holding the lower cowl to the steering column remove them and lower the locking arm to remove the lower cowl.

Thirdly look at the picture above (now you should be able to locate it as the rear of the ignition switch) you will see two plugs, a big one (leave that alone) and a small one with two wires (white and blue with a red trace). Using a blade screwdriver depress the lever on top of the plug and pull it out (this can be a little tricky, have patience).

Fourthly replace the upper and lower cowl, have a beer to celebrate :D

OK what is the catch?
When you close the door the interior light will take time to fade out, previously it would switch off immediately when the key is in the ignition. If you can cope with this then go for it.

I havn't had too much time to test it but the lights on warning still works and so does the seatbelt warning

Estimated time: 5-15 minutes
Estimated cost: $0:00
Toos: philips-head and blade screwdrivers

Post any feedback, if their is a problem I'll look further into it

Dogo
28-01-2004, 08:37 PM
geesus where did all that water come from ??

damn, u beat me to it rod, i had my steering column pulled apart this evening.

i have a better solution tho ...
turn the music up ! :D

platypus
28-01-2004, 11:02 PM
haha, closing the door works for me, and just put down the windows

Pernod
29-01-2004, 06:28 AM
Well as my lights dont fade anymore anyway, i've got nothing to loose!

KittyKatSmack
29-01-2004, 09:43 AM
I have da fully sik neonz to fade moite, will look coolerest :D

P'cisT
29-01-2004, 01:37 PM
Cosmo you legend! The mod worked brillantly for me. Have yet to notice any side effects. Not even the interior light fade, as my still turns off straight away. As an added bonus, you even manage to fix another hassle I had with the alarm needing to be reseted (using unlock/lock on keypad) everytime I turned the engine off to allow it to be turned back on.

Here's some pics from my mod:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/kvntrn/Mods/ChimeMod%20001.jpg
Opening the casings.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/kvntrn/Mods/ChimeMod%20002.jpg
Wire taken out!

Was a very easy mod, and probably wouldnt even need to open the casing second time around as you can sort of see teh wires underneith as you would know where it is.

Cosmo Dude
29-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Good to see better pics, I was having a touch of the Irwin Allens'