PDA

View Full Version : coilovers

hart3_9
08-10-2010, 05:34 PM
ive been thinking about doin more to my 02 mazda sp20 n have thought of gettin coilovers n some more handleing parts but i dont no much about after market parts n what not
ive been lookin through protage garage but all this stuff they talk about is goin over my head what would be the best for the price stuff for a street car maybe down the track if i decide to turbo or work the motor a circuit car

Clean_Cookie
09-10-2010, 09:19 AM
fyi: coilovers are almost ALWAYS stiffer than say just lowering springs from King springs etc... they are a complete unit (shock and spring) and are adjustable in ride height and stiffness...

70NYD
09-10-2010, 01:08 PM
What he means by stifness is both the spring and shock for most part

hart3_9
09-10-2010, 03:42 PM
yeah i understand that coilovers are better than havin lowered springs in a car but like i said dont mean to sound rude i was lookin through protage garage at the suspension link about coilovers n there are like 6 different kinds what the question was i dont understand whats the diffence in them all apart from the cheapest ones where all they do is change hight
http://www.protegegarage.com/category.php?id_category=440

Cosmo Dude
09-10-2010, 03:49 PM
The cheapest look to be height adjust only.
Other options are;
Build quality
Caster adjust
Camber adjust
Shock adjust
Shock adjust both bump and rebound

Orion
09-10-2010, 04:22 PM
yeah i understand that coilovers are better than havin lowered springs in a car but like i said dont mean to sound rude i was lookin through protage garage at the suspension link about coilovers n there are like 6 different kinds what the question was i dont understand whats the diffence in them all apart from the cheapest ones where all they do is change hight
http://www.protegegarage.com/category.php?id_category=440

You need to think about why you are lowering the car. If you are doing it just for better handling on a daily driven car then a decent shock/spring combo will be better than a cheap set of coilovers.

And by cheap coilovers, I mean the coilovers in that link that aren't AWR or JIC. I would be looking at the AWR and JIC Magics if you have to have coilovers.

project.r.racing
09-10-2010, 06:09 PM
i wouldn't bother looking at US based companies when your are in AUS.

once you pay the shipping costs and difference in currency values, you'll pay the same or more, and have no warrenty unless you are prepared to pay shipping costs back to the US.

hart3_9
10-10-2010, 08:19 AM
yeah i dont no where else to get parts what an aus site that i can order sp20 parts from as there isnt any place around locally

project.r.racing
10-10-2010, 08:32 AM
justjap have bc coilovers. ebay has a few sellers also.

nothing worng with buying small parts from overseas. or stuff that isn't available in oz.

but coilovers are widely available on oz, doesn't make sense to shop overseas for them.

hart3_9
10-10-2010, 10:34 AM
yer fair enough than im new to ths modified car parts stuff