PDA

View Full Version : Odd squeak/clunk/thud/fart from rear of car...

marcs_sp20
20-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Hey guys,

Since Thursday I have had a very abnormal clunk from the rear end which I cant get rid of, and Im stuck as to what else could be...

this is what I have looked at either tightening or greasing:

Swaybar brackets (greased & tightened)
Endlinks (tightened)
spring seats (reseated the springs)
strut top bolts (retightened)
exhaust hangers (rehung)

The thud is quite loud, randomly does it (not constant) on all road surfaces. It happwns when gping straight & round corners...

im stumped for idea's, so anyone have any? :confused:

Cheers
Marc

bourbon
20-11-2010, 12:02 PM
maybe its the half dead person in the back trying to get out :p

is it only on one side or is it both?

marcs_sp20
20-11-2010, 12:08 PM
I wish it was adead person, so I could remove it :p

It appears to be only from the drivers side, but Tash thinks it both :confused:

bourbon
20-11-2010, 12:12 PM
get tash to drive and you sit in the back seat with your sub & stuff out and listen for it

actually its not the sub cracking is it?

Cosmo Dude
20-11-2010, 01:32 PM
It's schoolies ATM... check for teenagers.

Mad Mat
20-11-2010, 01:38 PM

Bahahah wheres the like button ;)

marcs_sp20
20-11-2010, 02:46 PM
get tash to drive and you sit in the back seat with your sub & stuff out and listen for it

actually its not the sub cracking is it?

Done that, still thuds randomly :( Even still, I currently have the sub off, so thats not it..

Hahaha :p

sik astina
20-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Strut top bearing maybe collapsed?

marcs_sp20
08-12-2010, 12:54 PM
So including the list on the first post, I have now placed washers on the top of the struts, installed new shorter endlinks (20mm shorter) and have taken out absolutely everything out of teh rear of the car...

Anymore suggestions? :(

bourbon
08-12-2010, 12:57 PM
check the wiring loom for the tail light. maybe the plug is bouncin around

Mad Mat
08-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Hmmmm is there a bolt under the spare tire or seat????
Or take the strut brace out and see

bourbon
08-12-2010, 01:22 PM
yeah my other thought was the spare tyre not sitting in properly...or maybe strut brace has come loose...or even a bearing in the rear hub or something like that???

put it up on stands and pull on the wheels and so on...might be an arm...

or burn it :D

chicaboo
08-12-2010, 01:41 PM
When you put the washers on the strut tops, did you tighten them with the car jacked up? Cause you need to do that so you have enough resistance on the piston so it doesn't turn while you tighten it.

marcs_sp20
08-12-2010, 05:57 PM
So I sent a couple of the QLD kids a photo this afternoon, found about an inch of water in the wheel well & around 4inches in the side jack compartment, cleaned it all up, retightened the nuts on the strut brace & Tail lights & put it all back together again...

Gav we put the washers on while the car was on the ground, but had the old boy multi grip the piston so I could tighten up top so it wouldnt twist. I cbf'd doing it this evening as rain clouds are getting darker, and am physically farked from relocating @ work.. :(

Went for a quick run before, most of teh noise has now gone (as I was getting a splashing noise - go figure :rolleyes:) but its there still :o

Mad Mat
08-12-2010, 06:40 PM
is it ur marbles ????

marcs_sp20
08-12-2010, 08:32 PM
is it ur marbles ????

I wish :(

Just took off the rear wheels, seems the lip of the rim is lightly buffing up against the side of the strut, im guessing adding the bigger rear swaybar has affected/increased Negative Camber on the rear tyres? There is around 8-10mm room when on the ground, but would be a totally different story when in actual motion... Thoughts??

Might book the car in for an alignment on Friday, seeing its been 12mths/25,000kms since the last alignment :o

bourbon
09-12-2010, 08:12 AM
what!!!! you should of done one when you messed with the suspension...

marcs_sp20
09-12-2010, 08:17 AM
what!!!! you should of done one when you messed with the suspension...

I did, when I replaced the rear struts & springs last year :p Did some more reading last night, seems sway bar dont affect camber, which is odd :confused:

Mad Mat
09-12-2010, 08:25 AM
U hit a gutter or maybe that hit in the side is finally gettin to the car and it wants it fixed ;)

bourbon
09-12-2010, 09:13 AM
mat ya hit it on the head...when ya hit the pole it may of done same damage to the strut tower or the wheel may of hit the strut slightly...who knows...

70NYD
09-12-2010, 09:41 AM
woah i completly missed this thread up until this morning :o
how on earth did you get 4" of water in the jack well??? oh man thats scary
from reading everything up to now mats last remark is making most sense, most likely the hit managed to move the hub relative to the strut.. i hope you get it all fixed buddy :) i know how annoying a unknown sound can be in a car.. it can drive a person mental

marcs_sp20
09-12-2010, 12:07 PM
U hit a gutter or maybe that hit in the side is finally gettin to the car and it wants it fixed ;)

mat ya hit it on the head...when ya hit the pole it may of done same damage to the strut tower or the wheel may of hit the strut slightly...who knows...

I very much doubt the above, as its on the left hand side (mostly), and the door damage is on teh right, ya dingbats! :p And the rim didnt touch teh pole, only the guard/door, so I still highly doubt it...

woah i completly missed this thread up until this morning :o
how on earth did you get 4" of water in the jack well??? oh man thats scary
from reading everything up to now mats last remark is making most sense, most likely the hit managed to move the hub relative to the strut.. i hope you get it all fixed buddy :) i know how annoying a unknown sound can be in a car.. it can drive a person mental

My guess is that it came through one of teh bolt holes of the drivers tail light, as there is no water on the other side, seeing its been outside in all this wet weather over the past week :(

phunkdust
20-12-2010, 07:51 PM
I've had water in the spare well, but not 4 inches.