PDA

View Full Version : Just got quoted $400 to put in new standard shocks

Nate
05-02-2004, 12:32 AM
Ok if you have been reading earlier you will know by now my standard shocks are gooonnneee. I got my mechanic to get a quote to replace them (he is a good friend of the family so i get labour for almost nothing) and he came back with a figure of $400. He said that you have to buy all the surrounding section not just the shockies (something about an arm - will clarify in the morning - oh wait it is morning *sleep need sleep*). Can the shockies be replaced by themselves (one would think so). If not wot kind of a set up could i get for similar money (remember it is only the fronts and it has stiff springs already installed. Thanks guys you have already been a huge help (even when i do ask all the silly questions!)

Cosmo Dude
05-02-2004, 06:24 AM
The standard shocks bolt to the wheel hub, have the spring seat and unfortunatly don't have a replaceable cartrige. Some aftermarket suppliers make a cartrige but it requires the top of the stock shock to be cut off and a thread tapped into it for the new shock to be screwed in.
If you're on a budget it couldn't hurt to call Pedders I was quoted about $250 a pair (supply only). Labour could be a little high because of the work outlined above.

pr1mo
05-02-2004, 12:25 PM
the $400 figure sounds about right for a set of good aftermarket shocks. monroe would possibly do some for you cheaper

cheers mike

Cosmo Dude
05-02-2004, 12:33 PM
I put Monroe Sensortrack on the front of the Cosmo, they were $400 and I fitted them my self. Same problem they were not a cartrige they are a whole strut

mrpayner
05-02-2004, 04:53 PM
Was that $400 each corner or $400 all up? I went to mazda a little while ago and they told me in excess of $400 each corner. I **** you not! :?

AP

Cosmo Dude
05-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Mine was $400 for the pair and the old ones were stuffed, undid the top bolt and the piston dropped straight to the bottom with a klunk. Had the idea when I went around turn 2 at Calder and the guy behind me said I lifted a rear by over a foot :o before spinning off the track. (If you don't end up in the dirt sometimes then you're not trying hard enough and what better place than a race track :D

Toyboy
06-02-2004, 11:17 AM
I got full set of MonroeGT Reflex struts all round for mine not that long ago for $580 all up and just fitted them myself :wink:

pr1mo
06-02-2004, 06:51 PM
on the ball theo! whats half of $580 hmm $290? something like that u can get 2 good rear shocks for! best option if you just want something togo in there i say!

cheers mike

platypus
06-02-2004, 08:12 PM
nate, sounds like a ride mate.....
have a look at aftermarket, if this is for the SP hatch it should be almost the same as my BJ sedan.... (same suspension all round!!)

pedders quoted be $450 and $140 labour......pfft labour!!