PDA

View Full Version : JDM FS engine?

luk3333
04-05-2011, 09:51 AM
I know the standard FS only produces 97kw, but ive read that you can get a JDM tuned version, still N/A, that produces 126Kw. How hard would it be to get one, and how much? just a ballpark figure.

Also how would it go into a BJII, replacing the FP with the FS? Would it be worth it for the performance gain?

Clean_Cookie
04-05-2011, 10:40 AM
phil has/is doing this. check out his thread.

phildough
04-05-2011, 12:47 PM
I know the standard FS only produces 97kw, but ive read that you can get a JDM tuned version, still N/A, that produces 126Kw. How hard would it be to get one, and how much? just a ballpark figure.

Also how would it go into a BJII, replacing the FP with the FS? Would it be worth it for the performance gain?

I currently am in the process of doing this swap but im using the JDM Mazdaspeed FS-ZE.
The motor is a bolt in fit and you can use the FP ecu to run the engine, you do get a massive power gain but you dont have the full power and rev range available to you that the JDM cars have.
Im currently working on figuring out the wiring diagram so I will be able to advise others on how to do this swap.

The FS-ZE engines are very available(if you know where to look) and my Mazdaspeed 129KW FS-ZE + ECU + extractors+ alternator and starter motor cost me well less than $2000 landed in Aus which I consider to be a worthwhile power upgrade.(I had to replace mine due to letting it inhale water)
So far my car is WAY faster than it ever was and I know it is only going to get better when I get the ECU running

Any questions PM me or check my thread.

A.E
04-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Phil you rekon it would be worth doing this or in my case just getting internals and cam shafts. I've have/getting good exhaust and intake.

phunkdust
04-05-2011, 01:21 PM
I wonder how much you'd have to change to swap an FS-DE to FS-ZE. I wonder if the FS-DE ECU would run it properly?

Orion
04-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Phil you rekon it would be worth doing this or in my case just getting internals and cam shafts. I've have/getting good exhaust and intake.

You can only get the internals from original engines, so it would be easier/cheaper to just drop a whole engine in :)

phildough
04-05-2011, 01:31 PM

I would suggest getting the whole engine as the FS-ZE as you will get the much better air intake system with VICS and the expansion chamber and higher compression pistons and better cams.

I wonder how much you'd have to change to swap an FS-DE to FS-ZE. I wonder if the FS-DE ECU would run it properly?

To swap a FS-ZE into a FS-DE all you would have to do is swap engines, the gearboxes starter motors etc are all the same.
I would also recommend the JDM FS-ZE extractors at the same time
The FS-DE ECU will run the FS-ZE but you wont get the full 7200RPM redline and not quite as much power, but it will be noticalbly better than a FS-DE.
If enough people are interested I will get in contact with my suppliers and see if it is possible to arrange multiple engines to be shipped at once as it would greatly reduce costs.
Last time I checked there was a very good condition FS-ZE with less than 35,000KM on it.
I should also in a few days have the wiring sorted out so will be able to inform others on how to do this swap completely.

phunkdust
04-05-2011, 02:30 PM
The slushbox doesn't let it redline :D

But it would be nice to have some more poke for the daily.

A.E
04-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Mmmm if the price is right I'd think about it. Seriously.

phildough
04-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Mmmm if the price is right I'd think about it. Seriously.

I thought about it seriously and I now own a FS-ZE.
My theory is you cant rebuild a FS or FP and get another 30KW from it for less than $2000 so thats why I bought it,
It puts out more power at 5000 rpm than a FS-DE does at 6500 rpm.

A.E
04-05-2011, 03:10 PM
I thought about it seriously and I now own a FS-ZE.
My theory is you cant rebuild a FS or FP and get another 30KW from it for less than $2000 so thats why I bought it,
It puts out more power at 5000 rpm than a FS-DE does at 6500 rpm.

Stop it your gonna convince me to import one haha

Ask your mates how much for just the engine. To Sydney.

phildough
04-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Your probably looking at around the $1000-1400 depending on shipping costs and the exchange rate.
PM me for more info if your interested.
If more people are interested in doing this conversion I will start a thread on how to do a FS-ZE swap or will let people know what needs to be done to import your own engine.

mynameisdaniel
04-05-2011, 05:58 PM
How much did it cost to have it installed? Might be able to sell our current engines also?

Notice much of a difference in fuel consumption? Not that it really matters :P

phildough
04-05-2011, 06:36 PM
If anything it may use less fuel. Give me a few tanks to work out the average consumption but so far its very similar.

phildough
04-05-2011, 06:44 PM
The slushbox doesn't let it redline :D

But it would be nice to have some more poke for the daily.

if I were you I would grab the fs-ze and the JDM tip tronic auto Gearbox.

A.E
04-05-2011, 07:51 PM
If there's enough people interested to get the cost down under $1000 than I'd be in.

phildough
04-05-2011, 08:39 PM
I think to get the cost down to under $1000 we would have to order a container full of them.
Id say more like $1400+ for then engine and the ECU would be extra.

A.E
04-05-2011, 08:56 PM
I think to get the cost down to under $1000 we would have to order a container full of them.
Id say more like $1400+ for then engine and the ECU would be extra.

Dam. Maybe in a few months than. Lol or get a ca twined full and do conversions for 3gs a pop :P lol

smurfy
04-05-2011, 09:31 PM
you cant, well not meant to have an engine conversion on your P's anyway A.E ahah

A.E
04-05-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm on my fulls :P unlucky smurfy :P

marcs_sp20
04-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Also, Im not too sure how you'd go with ADR's seeing the FS-DE is OBII & the FS-ZE is a OBDI run motor, you'd have to basicallu run the DE's ECU for you to be compliant. I cbf'd looking into that side of things, but what I do know, is that the local DOT are cracking down on engine transplants..

Importing a ZE motor for under $1k, that made me giggle!

A.E
04-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Also, Im not too sure how you'd go with ADR's seeing the FS-DE is OBII & the FS-ZE is a OBDI run motor, you'd have to basicallu run the DE's ECU for you to be compliant. I cbf'd looking into that side of things, but what I do know, is that the local DOT are cracking down on engine transplants..

Importing a ZE motor for under $1k, that made me giggle!

I can dream can't I lol :P

I may just settle for crazy cams in the future lol.

phildough
04-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Or you could just get a FS-ZE and swap every part into your FS-DE engine keeping it 'standard'
If you were using the FS-DE ecu you would still have the OBD connector and it would be working, there doesn't appear to be much different between the FP,FS-DE and FS-ZE wiring harnesses.
They all have the provision for diagnosis connectors.
I think the FS-ZE ECU would still run the OBD connector on the FS-DE harness

rodhog
04-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Look if your in NSW

This is your best way to do a import swap as it is technically LEGAL. You can use an import motor in your local delivered car.

IT won't work well FP to FS. I nfact proberly won't.

but you swap over the engine - leave the factory ecu in place etc.

You take it to blue slip- for a new engine Number. If they reject saying you need to certify for import status - I doubt any Blue slip guy will know it's an import.
once numbers changed over down to RTA.

Bang your done - swap harness over or ECU ot full Jap -psec - BOBS your uncle. Don't put a loud exhuast on it. EPA will never ask you about it. By the time the car is smashed into a wall or in accident - NO one looks no one cares.

Heaps of normal cars camrys - 626s are runing around on import motors owners don't know Blue slip guy just swapped it over. They never do ECU nothing just swap things over.

I saw a 626 V6 with Kl-ZE in it a custom made bent intake neck. Owner had no clue.
said it jumps on idel sometimes. He knew it was an import motor but just got it legal.

Thats in most cases all that happens.

Even the Defeact place has in it's insepction a box to tick for import motor ?

A.E
04-05-2011, 10:55 PM
I'm pretty sure my Capri had a imported B6 in it as pre 93 they didn't have a NA twin cam. Mine was a 89 lol. As long as the numbers match on the rego papers no one cares lol