PDA

View Full Version : Digital Clock - Help

st11x
18-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Hi,

The digital clock on the dashboard on my 1990 SP doesn't light up. It did just once for a very brief spell when I was driving on the highway.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with it? I thought it might be a bad fuse or something, but a blown fuse would have wreck the dash light I suppose.

The car didn't come with the fuse clipper (not sure what would you call it). What's a good tool that can remove a fuse without causing any damage to it?

Thanks
Matthew

Dogo
18-02-2004, 10:15 PM
if i dont have the clip handy, i use needle nose pliers. or normal pliers sometimes. just dont squeeze too tight !

can u see if the clock has anything on its display at all ?

st11x
18-02-2004, 10:44 PM
I thought about the pilers, but hadn't tried it as I'm worried the metal coming in contact with either the fuse or the contacts in the fuse box. I'll give it a go. Thanks for that.

There's no display at all on the clock. I thought it was very faint or something until I saw it came up on the highway. Could be a loose contact somwhere.

23-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Give the dash a bit of a tap near the clock.
The clock will normally be on the 'accessories' fuse so it's not the fuse by the sound of it. If you've got a little knowledge of wiring, just check the connections at the clock then trace it to the fuse box...
Should be able to pull the fuse out with your fingers anyway, and don't worry about the pilers coming into contact with the fuse terminals. You pretty much can't short it out unless it gets grounded or touching another metallic object...
If all else fails take it to an auto electrician, they'll be able to sort it out...
Good luck

st11x
26-03-2004, 02:31 PM
There seemed to be a relationship between my car overheating and the clock coming on! ha.

The first time it came on, the coolant was boiling in my reserve tank.

The last time it didn't, my car nearly overheated. It was really bad that day, but the clock came on for 3 whole days before going off.

I tried to take out the instrument panel but got stuck doing that coz I can't reach the wires behind to pull them out. Do I have to remove the dash to do that?

Cosmo Dude
26-03-2004, 03:14 PM
Sounds a bit like a dry joint. Common issue with solder joints when it gets hot the parts expand bridging the gap and on it goes.
I can't help with removal process as I'm a BA boy.

geetee
27-03-2004, 09:29 AM
if you need to know the time try pressing the time/date adjustment button and keep it pressed in. i used to have to do this when i first got my car, but through time it seems to have fixed itself!!!

andrewgrazier
11-04-2004, 12:12 PM
ive got a 91 SP and the clock is like at the top left of the instrument clusters?
i sometimes have problems seeing it
as it is very dull sometimes
but other times its nice and bright

Laser the Amazer
11-04-2004, 11:14 PM
ive got a 91 SP and the clock is like at the top left of the instrument clusters?
i sometimes have problems seeing it
as it is very dull sometimes
but other times its nice and bright

yeah I get the same with mine

comes and goes

haven't had time to take it out

Rob

Mizda_Mazda
17-04-2004, 03:21 AM
I have(and fixed once) the same problem with mine. After i give the dash a hit somewhere it comes on for a while.

Not sure what the prob is this time, but I have taken the dash off before and fixed it. If you give me a few days, i'll get some pics of how to take it off when I fix it again.

Last time it was just a dodgy loose connection but since then i have had my speed cable replace and the mechanic (i think) may have knocked it out.

If you do try and take the dash out, you should be able to pull out one side of the dash enough to unplug one connection to get access to the rest. If not you can always reach up from underneath, if your arms are skinny enough.

geetee
17-04-2004, 06:57 AM
sounds to me as if thats a hell of a lot of bother to fix a clock!
if mine wasn`t working i reckon i`d just buy a watch!!! :lol:

DrSilver
07-06-2004, 10:51 AM
mine was lighting up at times and occasionaly died, and sometimes i could not even see the clock because it wasnt bright enough.
I bought another one from the wreckers for $45 and changed it. Nothing can be done to fix those clocks, it just the chips rotting inside I guess. I opened my old one and could not see anything wrong with it(visually).
It s a long and painful process to change it because you have to get the speedometre cable out and then the dials out as well. Its interesting though cos it allows you to fake your kilometres :lol:

andrewgrazier
08-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Why not judt go to Kmart n have a look in the auto section, you can buy a small clock for like $10 and if u wanted to glue it to the top underside of the dash bit to cover up where the old one is it wouldnt look too bad